Devblog: EVE 64-bit & DirectX 12

Your understanding is correct - 32-bit workloads on a 64-bit processor cause an additional overhead as well as not having access to some of the more efficient features of the 64-bit architecture.

Will it make a big enough difference to your situation? It will make the bottleneck a little less tight, but there are too many unknowns (the structure/optimisation of the Eve Client, what else is running in the background, how tight it currently is and so forth) to make a call. I’d suggest that if you are struggling now, then you’ll still be struggling - time to start thinking of an upgrade.

(for comparison: I’m running a single client on a i5-3450 at 3.1GHz and I’m getting a 40% CPU loading and about 1GB memory usage sitting in the station at Amarr - I only ever run a single client)

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.
I have a similar processor and get similar results.
She was a beast when I built her, but showing her age now

1 Like

Me and her both!

2 Likes

Does that mean I have to upgr… I mean downgrade to win 10 to get RTX? damn.

1 Like

i use CPU-control all time. It loads all the kernels and not just one. I think there is acceleration.

oh well i guess since those who use 32bit systems dont matter we are such a small percentage its ok if we screw them over… not too many of them to complain… nice message… thanks CCP… ill be sure to remember that next time i see an add for about anything u or ur parent company makes…

In this days you cant even browse internet comfortable with less than 6-8GiB ram. 32-bit is a dead end. If you don’t want to see eve improving its ok. But everyone is droping 32-bit support because no one use processors that don’t support 64-bit mode. Don’t pay for sub for one month and buy some ram for that money instead and stop complaining because for people like you EVE is few years behind in gaming technology.

I felt exactly the same way when the local Ford service department stopped working on my Model-T.
It’s only been 90 years, what the heck!

3 Likes

I can’t see why CCP can’t offer both clients… keep both camps happy if you want to use 64bit then you can but if you want to stay with 32bit then thats fine too.

My computer processor is nearly 10 years old and i do plan to upgrade but in no rush… I have always gone for AMD and at the moment i have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition running at healthy 49c and i never see it go over 55c even with full settings plus i only have a MSI 760 videocard with 2GB ram which never goes over 80c.

The AMD chip is running at 3.4mhz over clocked and i have plenty of free ram (currently got 12gb) and can’t wait to use the 64bit client

If i look at how busy my computer is EVE never goes over 40% and i only run one client.

Because it’s impossible. EVE already have huge issue of low memory crash during fights. With dx 12 and upcoming upgrades you will struggle to dock in jita without crash with 32-bit memory cap.

At this point change to 64-bit increase only ram needs . Nothing more.

Did a quick google, that’s a 64-bit processor. If your running a remotely current OS then your in good shape.
Whats the objection?

yep don’t really have a objection already running Windows 10 so i’m all ready for the 64bit client :slight_smile:

That cpu use seems quite high. With max setting at 1920x1080 60fps my cpu use for eve is 5% in a station. at 180fps it’s at 10%. Granted my cpu is a bit over a year older than yours but somewhat better being a 2600k. I built this rig in march 2012 btw. When using vsync for 60fps and having quite a few programs running and chrome with 20 tabs going to include listening to a music video, cpu use is between 6-13%. Jumps around quite a bit.

I mean i guess if someone has the same exact cpu as yours they could compare. There’s just such a huge disparity between our cpu usage i’m not sure if yours is good to compare with. Mine may not be either as my system is fairly optimized. Are you using the cpu’s Intel® HD Graphics 2500 and not a dedicated graphics card perhaps?

I hope people know you can upgrade your Win 10 32bit to 64bit for free. Restating this even if it’s already been mentioned as i’m not sure everyone knows that.

I’ll admit is surprised me as well. I need to dig into it - the build was a modest PC in 2012.
I suspect the video side is less optimised than yours - it’s having to do all that DirectX to OpenGL conversion since I run on Debian Linux and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where the load comes from.
But that’s speculation, I don’t know for sure without a bit more digging. And since it runs alright I’ve got other priorities…

@Alan_Chumak, @Scarlett_LaBlanc, @Dusty_Phoenix, @Jian_Mira

You have to use a x64 bit OS in one or another way. It makes sense nowadays as it was when the computer industry moved from 16-bit systems to 32-bit systems (x86). There are just too many performance limitations for all 32-bit OS and many special applications compatible with modern hardware. But, standard (most client side) applications can run on 32-bit code very well without any performance issues because of low resources used by them.

A x64 OS is a must to have installed. DX12 will run on both x86 and x64 tech platforms and it has internal compatibility with DX11, based on it’s Interfaces. There are ideas to make it compatible with Win7 even.

It’s important to put a “border” between x64 OS, x64 EVE clients and DirectX12. They are different beings. Yon need a x64 OS to run modern applications smooth and fast. You can run on a x64 OS a x86EVE or x64EVE client on near the same performance speed in most scenarios. On high overload levels (fleet fights, over 2000 players in local) your x64EVE clients will run faster and much more stable, while your x86EVE clients will freeze and crash on the same x64OS. It’s important to mention, that on x86 OS the same things will run much and much worse. DirectX12 is another technology which will render the data provided by x86 or x64 EVE clients. CPP just decided to migrate to full x64 EVE clients due to easier and simplier development and deployment process and because almost all modern OS are x64, while not all apps are.

DirectX 11 vs DirectX 12

Why DX12? Well, as it was noticed by many IT-professionals and gamers, almost all modern games, developed under DX9, DX10, DX11 or OpenGL, use effectively between one and four CPU Cores, even if you have a 8-Core CPU. Moreover, many of them use only one or two Cores from available 4 Cores. This is why some i3 and i5 Intel CPU were so good for gaming - due to their better one Core performance utilization. It’s because of outdated Interface algorithms of old DirectX versions. DirectX 12 is designed from the scratch and implemented with new Interfaces to utilise a modern multicore CPUs and GPUs as best as possible, as Vulkan is designed too. This is explained and demonstrated by AMD engineers very well:

Upgrade an old PC to x64 OS

• If you have a moderate CPU and GPU, then add min 8GB and best/optimal 16GB RAM for x64 OS. It’s the cheapiest scenario, especially for DDR3 memory.
  • If your CPU is ‘low’, but RAM, GPU, HDD and other components are OK. Buy a budget CPU, a moderate Motherboard to fit both the RAM type (its DDR3 or DDR4 mode and frequency) and CPU, a Tower Cooler and run them in overclocked mode. Budget $200. Avoid any CPUs with TPD over 95 Wt. It’s hard to find all components for such overclocked platforms, but if you can - they are more powerful.

For example, AMD FX series CPUs are great for this purpose. The AMD FX 8300 can be used on any Motherboard with socket AM3+, by supporting both variants of DDR3 or DDR4 RAM, and overclocked to 3.8GHz with Tower Cooler. It can run stable on 4.2 GHz easy with very good cooling.

Another CPUs

5 Likes

Wtf is potato mode, and why is it called that?

It is running the game with all the graphics options set to their lowest setting. The ship models become a little plain and lumpy when running like that - Potatoes.
It is often done when running multiple clients or when involved in massive fleets to ease the demands on the graphics side to keep the frame rate at a reasonable level.

64 bit client for which servers … :robot:

servers are changed to 64-bit few years ago. But this don’t matter anyway.

Why does everybody go for Intel instead of AMD?