Devblog: Interim Statement on Brisc Rubal Follow-up Investigation

The mistake was CCP not verifying evidence first before enacting a ban and publicly announcing it in a Dev Blog.

This statement from the current Dev Blog is a bit disconcerting:

We have also been conducting an internal review to substantiate the evidence available to us and evaluate our handling of the situation.

You’d think that would have been done first, if so they definitely wouldn’t be going through this situation right now.

If CCP did act in haste and made an error publicly with a bad judgement-call, I certainly hope that CCP as a company is good about admitting it and making reparations.

This whole thing reminds me of a ‘Peyton Place’ soap opera airing on prime-time TV.

Anyway, so much for CCP’s press release…

https://giphy.com/gifs/P6mtUmGauU2n6/html5

6 Likes

CCP should have done a proper investigation before committing a possible crime against someone in real life.

I saw this coming. See, they banned an attorney with no due process. Here’s a real life law in the United States:

28 U.S. Code § 4101.Definitions

In this chapter:

(1)Defamation.—

The term “defamation” means any action or other proceeding for defamation, libel, slander, or similar claim alleging that forms of speech are false, have caused damage to reputation or emotional distress, have presented any person in a false light, or have resulted in criticism, dishonor, or condemnation of any person.

When I saw CCP advertising a ban of this attorney on their launcher I was 100% sure that they would be sued for it. What has probably happened is that CCP has received the first course of action, a cease and desist from the victim.

I hope that my fellow American citizen doesn’t have to consume many resources of the courts (for which CCP will have to pay him back).

The good thing about this is now CCP will have to seek legal council before they do something stupid like this in the future. It will likely cost them millions in legal defense. The staff that violated US Federal law should be terminated.

6 Likes

This is what happens when you don’t have a qualified community manager.

3 Likes

Hate going Texas Lawyer with you, but both Brisc’s past videos and even making a public statement himself (TiS) that he is a “public figure” changes the rules significantly.

2 Likes

Here was nothing. You have to comb through Icelandic law.

1 Like

I’d like to thank CCP for relaying this to the player base. The public uproar over the INIT Three Fiasco was lack of due process which seems to be being addressed.

Its nice to see mistakes are already being addressed like this DevBlog post being posted “BY THE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM” instead of both the blog and thread being posted by any singular individual that can be targeted for assigning blame.

Ironically I see Brisc and CCP Dopamine being put under the same spotlight by the previous blog post, Neither party deserves a public smearing regardless of who did what. Hopefully this will all be concluded soon and this highlights to CCP how important CCP Guard was… xD

6 Likes

The slander was committed Internationally and CCP is no longer HQ’ed in Iceland, but South Korea. The attorney has no choice but to sue them if they do not reverse what they did and compensate him for proceedings filed and even damages.

It is obvious that CCP has received a cease and desist from the victim and part of that would also be what is called a “letter of demand” and an “intent to sue”.

Eve doesn’t have just a single attorney / player that saw what happened and are familiar with law.

The player in question will be re-instated with an apology from CCP but it’s also going to be expensive for them.

Again, as noted, the staff that committed the crime will likely be terminated.

3 Likes

Why would you not do this LMFAO!!

Anyway grr gons hat

1 Like

because its practically impossible to obtain. You think that CCP is allowed to wiretap people? because that is what it would take to catch people talking about NDA related information.

So … popcorn, tinfoil hats or condoms?

4 Likes

False. You can discuss potential changes, reworks, adjustments and much more without giving away what’s planned. Your CSM is a false god.

Out of ignorance. There’s a huge difference between being a game master and being an attorney. When you have game masters whom are not educated in law failing to check with legal first, then you have this unfortunate situation of that staff being in violation of US Federal law.

The staff that did it will likely soon be unemployed.

The most damning evidence of the crime was published on the launcher itself where for days CCP slandered this person in violation of 28 U.S. Code § 4101

Now, I think I will go play EVE.

2 Likes

Common sense would dictate you dont just punish people off hand because someone made an accusation.

Is only good for the US, us law isnt international law.

5 Likes

The victim was slandered in the US. I am a US citizen and a witness to the crime.

2 Likes

LOOOOOL

gl with that.

“foreign countries may opt to decline.”

1 Like

So you are saying that a victim of a crime should not have due process to your perceived loophole in International law?

However it turns out, I would be glad just to have what has traditionally been such an opaque process finally become a bit more transparent.

3 Likes

Well if u go by our Ex-CIA director under Obama “you Are Innocent Until Accused”

3 Likes

The CSM has always been, since its inception, a CCP publicity tool. This incident gets CCP and eve online publicity. CSM = working as intended.

3 Likes

Think it could be that simple? And the perfect guy to ban is an American politician? Does make sense, the world frickin’ hates us