Devblog: Spring Balance Update Incoming!

Check out this devblog from the EVE Dev Team about upcoming balance changes for the spring and summer!

Read all about it here!

33 Likes

I like balance patches.

5 Likes

The fax changes are excellent.

Quick question though, what are your thoughts (using the same rep-power-scaling thing to avoid small repper abuse) of keeping rep power where it is and instead having remote repairs impart a partial impedance over time? (A stacking debuff for each rep cycle received which increases impedance)

Thus, 100 faxes could rep a target VERY quickly, but said repairs would drop off very quickly. Whereas 1 fax could rep that same ship by itself for a much longer period of time. The logic here is that a fax is still a subcap rep monster. They can keep subcaps up forever by themselves.

On the topic of Rorqs, how receptive is CCP to making excavators controlled like fighters?

11 Likes

Well Old Pervert, thatā€™s a cool idea. We explored several other options and may come back to this in the future. We thought this solution was a good step, especially given the time frame we wanted to hit.

9 Likes

I think my only issue here is the fighter changes to some extent, I understand that they need to be brought in line, but it hurts carriers that donā€™t have a fighter damage bonus more than those that do in particular. A Thanatos for instance, even with the changes, will still apply more damage than say, a Chimera, simply by itā€™s higher damage output. I still need to do some math, but off the cuff I believe the Thanatos will be applying the amount of damage that the Chimera currently does, and the Chimera will drop a fair bit lower than it already does on applied damage.

Otherwise Iā€™m quite pleased with the changes coming into play! Especially the Gila change, being a big Gila pilot myself, you made a solid and needed balance adjustment without wrecking the hullā€™s utility!

Edit: saw the NSA changes, and while likely neededā€¦ I am somewhat displeased by it for two reasons, one it makes smaller carrier deployments more vulnerable than they already are to larger ones, and two, from a lore perspective it really makes no sense, even with the usual ā€˜CONCORD did itā€™ handwaving.

4 Likes

I certainly agree. It definitely helps the issue.

Gasp!! A Gila nerf! (even a small one). Let the wailing begin.

ā€¦and Aura becoming ā€œFalconizedā€ should dramatically cut down on NPE use, while dramatically increase self podding numbers.

11 Likes

Some interesting things there. Maybe we can see Harbinger fleets again.

At very large scales fights feel frustrating due to the power of Force Auxiliaries.

What CSM told you that? Very large fights feel frustrating because your servers canā€™t handle it and you force them down our throats.

Rep scaling? Are you sure your servers can handle that? They canā€™t even handle bounty calculations under tidi.

As for HAW on titans? Why not remove them entirely from titans? Give dreads something to be useful with. Titans already have the Boson and very long range smartbombs due to their size, they donā€™t need anti-sub capital weapons at all.

As for that NSA stuff: Preventing warp does not mean preventing movement, correct?

Rorquals are extremely powerful mining foreman ships,

And thus they should be limited to 1 around 1000 km around an asteroid as the central boosting figure in a mining fleet. Your changes do nothing to alleviate the problems that mass rorqual use poses. They are still more convenient to use than exhumers, expecially AFK and their drone DPS even from just 2 Rorqs is still some serious defensive capability for just 2 ships.

Caracal Navy issue

• Drone bay and bandwidth increased to 25m3

Neither we nor the server needs more drones. It simply cannot handle more drones. Give that ship something that is actually useful in combat and that does not actively hurt server performance. For Steveā€™s sakeā€¦

Abaddon

• Bonus to Large Energy Turret damage increased to 7.5% per level (was 5%)

The Abaddon needs more cap, not more damage. (as someone below also said). It has enough DPS but it has not enough cap to sustain it. And with your nerfs to cap transfers, you canā€™t even use Guardians to cap Abaddons up effectively any more. You are shooting yourself into the kneeā€¦ Pay attention to what you do! And in the last 10 years there have been dozens upon dozens of requests to give the Abaddon more capacitor capabilities so that it can be more useful. You ignored that again even though you must have looked at the Abaddon and tinkered how to ā€œimproveā€ itā€¦ This is not good.

oh, one last thing, weā€™re also looking into modernizing our marketing material, lore updates and NPE to meet current trends:

If I see that gullible face ingame, I am so going to snap.

9 Likes

wanna see how the gila change affect abyssal pvp where it is the most used hull.
easier to counter the 3k active tank ones by blapping drones

4 Likes

AMAZING!

Seriously so fricken astounded right now at how happy this WHOLE thing makes meā€¦

But i am THROUGH THE ROOF happy about the corax change.

" Corax

• PG increased to 53 (was 48)"

Do you know what this DOES!? my god, this is going to make it my GO TO ship!! I LOVE THIS!

Ok.

And the gila change might make it so that the Abyss runner actually have to train into a HACā€¦ theyā€™re going to CRY. i love it.

7 Likes

Abaddon out deepsing nightmareā€¦yeah that is a real balance problemā€¦stated no one ever.
What about arma navy you know ship that needs balance passā€¦or navy battleships in general.

Gila recieved slap on a wristā€¦cute.

Failure correction to capitalsā€¦welcomed even when few years late.

3 Likes

cries in ferox im liking some of the stuff listed in the blog. specially those changes to Amarr ships (albeit the Abaddon bonuses dont convince me, it doesnt need more damage it needs cap efficiency for its laser turrets much like the Punisher is there a reason on why you try to keep the damage bonus?).

i wonder how impactfull are those nerfs to the VNI tho, slower heavy drones + increased signature sounds like a big hit coupled with the changes to anomaly respawns not to mention whatever effect it could have in Abyssal PvP (in the case people actually use navy ships there).

either way those are some good changes, cannot wait to see the implant and tiericide stuff on the next balance update.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how many accounts go alpha after this. I am going to reduce my active accounts by 8.

11 Likes

Rorqual changes, fine, but you went too far with the NSA changes.

EDIT: Cut the effectiveness in half, but not disable warp while active

12 Likes

How about skill farms.

1 Like

Hi Tamar! Welcome to our community! :smiley:

9 Likes

please introduce the ā€˜mini carrierā€™ meta. A 1 tube fighters boat

5 Likes

Looks good to me, I was going to do something stupid and risky with a carrier, but with the change to fighter application it is perhaps a bit too risky now. Apart from my sour grapes on you making me go too risk adverse on that little adventure I think a pretty good balance change overall.

The point made about Abaddons needing more power recharge is an important one, but I do like the increase in DPS as I rather like this ship.

Well done CCP.

2 Likes

finally

9 Likes

In general these are steps to the right direction but you forgot to remove bosons. Rorqual max yield also should be no more than Orca +30%.

1 Like