Do you prefer the new or old forums? [POLL]

Would you feel better talking to Aura?

3 Likes

Too much space left and right, which results in too less space for actual text. But I assume that is something I have to live with in the modern age of Smartphones and responsive design?!

6 Likes

It might be that I never used Discourse before, but thereā€™s so much empty space between things that I find myself completely lost. Once thatā€™s been said, the small touches it has once you transcend that horrid first page are quite good.

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget that this decision is not ONLY a design and usability one, as they mentioned in the devblog the old forums were using too much server/database capacity.

But I really like you put this into a simple poll :slight_smile:

4 Likes

CCP is listening to your feedback as well. I have seen a few requests implemented since the forums went live within the last 24 hours.

Bear in mind that CCP has to decided what to implement and/or change, some of these things will take time based on the complexity of the task required. But to quote CCP Falcon:

Part of this whole process is working with the community to make the forums a more functional and streamlined place for discussions.

If youā€™re on the fence about using them because thereā€™s things you donā€™t like, dive into the feedback section and give us some pointers on what youā€™d like to see.

The idea is to build this new venue WITH the community, not FOR it. :smiley:

4 Likes

Now wouldnā€™t that be considered as ā€œuseful informationā€ to be stated somewhere.

I often wonder if designers of this sort of thing have ANY idea on how users will see it (or even be able to use it).

Lets leave users to guess how to go about things.

For BOBs sake either get rid of ā€œdiscobotā€ (outdated by 30 fuking years) or at least give it a reasonable name.

Can I ask why 1/3rd of the page is taken up by a thing with dates on it? Is it really needed that it use so much space? Is there a way to make it smaller and not require such accurate (can only be clicked from the right next to the right hand side of the line) placement of the mouse to use itā€¦

3 Likes

I am liking the new forums.

2 Likes

As I understand it, the base design comes from the Discourse message board creators. That being said, I believe it may be possible to adjust the size of the side bar.

That is a question that needs to be left to the developers as I am not involved in development in anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be honest new things take to get used to. As much as EVE players seems highly averse to change, the new forums will probably work out alright.

4 Likes

A way I could think of to make actually use of this timeline is to mark e.g. Dev-posts on it, so that you can click onto the mark at the timeline and get right to that post made there.

Would be great to recap a therad this way - since there seem to be no pages everā€¦

3 Likes

There was feedback on the old forums but it was ignored. It will be probably ignored also now. These forums look like the discourse forums around the web and I dont know how much they can customize it.

Maybe its where the problem lies. Going for discourse was bad in the first place. EVE is not a mobile game and everyone plays it on PC so they can have forums open all the time when they are AFK.

5 Likes

Nora Maldoran - That could work if it was relevant to a majority of threads but as Devs rarely interact with the forums it would still just be wasted space.
Now if it showed my posts, posts I had quoted and or responded to then it might be useful but would still not require 1/3 of the page as it does now.
Maybe it could be set as a popout, so it is no visible unless the user selects itā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s the whole point, we can say a few times more we donā€™t like Discourse and we want pages instead of infinite scroll, but it was the very first thing CCP decided and they didnā€™t ask anyoneā€¦

5 Likes

The same could be said of pagination. I utterly abhor pagination, because it means that I have to take my finger off of the scroll wheel that works anywhere on the screen, and go searching for the right button to take me to the next page. Itā€™s a jarring change in the interaction with the page just because of hitting an arbitrary break based on number of posts.

Iā€™ve found that the progress bar/slider to the right, and the automatic tracking of last location read at least makes infinite scroll manageable - you can see where you are in a thread at a glance. As a side note, the timestamp of a post is the permalink to the post, following the same design as Twitter and Facebook.

I donā€™t think it detracts from the forums to the degree that infinite scroll would on a site where the posts are truly infinite like facebook or twitter, since you can find your place there, and the design has incorporated infinite scroll from the beginning, so you donā€™t have the annoyance of trying to ā€œraceā€ the infinite scroll to find a link thatā€™s at the bottom of the page.

2 Likes

The Discourse developers took risks, and they rejected tradition to create something that is actually more usable on the sort of modern browsers that people use today. One of the mandates during Discourseā€™s development was to design it to make the best discussion software possible without doing something simply because thatā€™s the way other forums do it, so that it wouldnā€™t have the baggage associated with 2 decades of making shitty clones of usenet readers and email.

Discourse is actually more usable out of the box and extremely intuitive to people who havenā€™t used a forum before, but this comes with a price, the more youā€™ve used other forums, the more you are set in your ways, the more friction this will produce, and the more you will hate Discourse at first. Give it time, and as you eventually become comfortable with it, youā€™ll begin to wonder how you ever tolerated another forum.

5 Likes

Idk, this seems a lot more complex and overwhelming at first than the style of the old forums. Sure, the prompts are nice, but navigation isnā€™t as simple.

5 Likes

too soon to tell, but so far looking good. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Do you know what pisses me off of infinite scroll? This technology was rendered obsolete 1,500 years ago, when scrolls were replaced by books. Books not only were easier to manufacture, but pages completely changed the way to acces information since now you didnā€™t had to unroll a scroll, but could just point to a specific page. Adding numbers to pages was the icing on the cake, albeit it was a late innovation that only came after printing.

We have been reading pages for 1,500 years and numbered pages for the last 300 years. At no pont nobody siad ā€œoh I wish the thing I wish to read was lost somewhere of a endless, featureless continuumā€.

And here we are. The very first thing CCP decides is to use a infinite scroll forum software because itā€™s so ā€œcoolā€ā€¦

5 Likes

Shouldnt be the same font in the reply window as in post? Its different here.

2 Likes

ā€¦not to mention thereā€™s a bloody TUTORIAL to learn to use the ā€œeasy and intuitiveā€ Discourshit abominationā€¦

6 Likes