Do you prefer the new or old forums? [POLL]

Im running a 2560x1080 monitor and everything is a lot bigger than on the old forum. Or any other forum i visit.

1 Like

Certain people could post images on the old forums. Mainly CCP staff. They had to avoid it, because the old forums could barely cope with text in a large thread let alone images.

3 Likes

So now we have a new forum that can cope with large threads, but those threads are barely manageable since they are spread over a infinite scroll and thereā€™s no easy way to figure in which range should be a specific post.

Human are notably good at remembering ā€œpage nā€ but quite poor at remembering ā€œI read that page n on date xā€, thus a forum that uses dates for ranging messages essentially goes against ergonomics.

If it helps you can bookmark specific threads and/or posts. You can also use #, in the modal press post number and then enter.

1 Like

Click the link icon to the left or the reply button or the timestamp in the upper right corner of a post for a popup that gives you the post number, a permalink to the post, and the share buttons (as well as the incredibly useful reply as new topic button for when you want to go off on a tangent). Or look at the counter in the lower right corner on mobile (or on desktop while editing a reply), or look at the timeline (when itā€™s hidden, just click on the post counter and it will come back). Or grab the URL in the address bar, it changes as you scroll to show your current location. The discourse devs have gone to great lengths to do infinite scroll right, so that it improves navigation rather than making it impossible, this isnā€™t like Facebook or Twitter where thereā€™s no hope of ever finding something again.

And you can also bookmark, as @ISD_Stall suggested.

1 Like

Or, they could have been sensible and given an option to not have that I suppose? Something akin to ā€œpagesā€. I know, its a crazy thing, wanting something that exists everywhere else.

Works better on my mobile device on new forum. A+

Yeah, the Discourse team has gone great lenghts to make the sharpest wooden knife ever. But still itā€™s the wrong solution to a problem that already was resolved generations ago.

Nothing you have suggested will help me if I need to retrieve a message that wasnā€™t bookmarked, flagged, stored and whatever.

In every non-Discourshit forum and every written document ever since the 6th century, information is stored ā€œsomewhere in page nā€ or ā€œsomewhere near to page nā€. Meaning, that in the worst case, may need to check 20/40/60 messages if I just recall that it was ā€œsomewhere on page 3 of 4 of that thread started two weeks agoā€.

Infinite scroll is not a tool to retrieve past information. Making it the best wooden knive possible still means itā€™s a useless tool since wood is the wrong matherial for knives and infinite scroll is not meant to retrieve information.

Well, the essential feature of Discourshit is that it doesnā€™t haves pages because infinite scroll is cool with social app kids. :roll_eyes:

Dear Science! This new forum is a cluttered mess! (Phone view)

FYI: Iā€™ve been in the new forum a total of 60 seconds, so Iā€™ll have to come back as i discover more feedback. I totally see the additional features this forum is capable of, which could be useful, but right now all that crap is just getting in the way and making the whole thing cluttered and confusing. Like, i work in IT and feel like i need a 10 minute video tutorial to understand the damn thingā€¦

I go to category view and am forced to look/scroll through 3+ top threads per category! To make it worse, the category names donā€™t stand out enough, making it a chore to find the right category. I canā€™t find how to disable this.

Then, I get into ā€‹this thread and just beneath the first post is a section showing me other posts and pictures of posters or something. I can minimize it every time, but canā€™t get rid of itā€¦ Iā€™m here for this topic, why show me other crap that just wastes my time? Maybe if it were after all posts and that section had colors making it easy to know it is separateā€¦ Or make it a side bar that is able to be minimized. Maybe let me a Read Later box next to these would be useful?

Canā€™t click on line for a post or category to open it. I instead have to click the title text, which is an additional hindrance to using the forum, especially on the phone.

No way I can find to get to the dev post search? I shouldnā€™t be expected to learn all the tricks of this weird forum interface to find the most important part of it. Please add a category for it and put it on top.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=search&devbadge=1&gmbadge=1

1 Like

The new forums provide much broader visibility across subforum categories and have a far superior reply and quote interface. There are just so many welcome changes that itā€™d be hard to list them all in a brief reply post.

Itā€™ll take some getting used to but I think the new forums are very promising.

3 Likes

Jesus ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  christ! I noticed there was an icon at the top of a post indicating a reply to that post, clicked the icon to go the the reply, read it and used my back button, and now have ā€‹no ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  idea where i was in the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  130+ pageless posts monstrosity! The forward button certainly didnā€™t take me to the right placeā€¦ Now i have to skim through a fuckton of posts Iā€™ve already read, just to find where i was??? ā– ā– ā– ā– !!!
#NewForumsFuckingTrainWreck (I respect the devs, but right now, this thing sucks at its primary purposeā€¦)

FEELS LIKE Iā€™M READING TW(sh)ITTER OR FAECEBOOK
SOMEBODY SURE LOVES THEIR FIDGETY LITTLE GADGETY KNICK KNACKS
THREE KINDS OF FORUM MIXED UP WITH THE FEW I USED TO READ
GONNA MISS POASTAN
ENJOY, GUISE
O7

2 Likes

They are cross-referenced in both directions - a reply links back to the post you are replying to, and that post links to each of its replies, even if they are in other threads.

Different to what or should i say how?

Just as an example - Clicking your Avatar tells me you are respected because you received 2 likes on 100 posts, you give back because you got 100 likes and gave 100 + 11 other badges.
Now just looking at that I would consider the person to be a good poster worth following. Only problem is, none of those badges are valid due to this thread. So how does one find or follow decent posters when the system for earning ā€œGood Posterā€ merit is broken?

I like to think the 1400 likes i have on the other forums is due to my posting, be it good or bad. I never knew there was a ā€œlikesā€ thread which might explain my dismay at being directed to this one.

PS; I do like your posting, weā€™ve had a few nice lively ā€œdiscussionsā€ over the years.

I just remember you being more chill about stuff. Iā€™m surprised you feel so strongly about this.

Oh and yeah, Iā€™m far from anything those badges claim to indicate.

I want to say the best plan is evaluating posts on their own merit without considering the source. I tend to drop character names and move on after reading. That way you know when someone stands out, it is despite your effort to not hold grudges or take names.

Iā€™ve always spoken out about what i think is not good change and so far this new forum fits with that.

This came about after trying to post in General Discussion

If this is the ā€œbestā€ the Devs responsible can do, they need to find someone who can do better.

NB; Got so turned around trying to find the right category to post in I ended up totally losing track of what it was I wanted to post aboutā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t care, have parrots now.

:witnessprotectionparrot::upvotepartyparrot::shufflepartyparrot::aussiecongaparrot::dealwithitparrot:

2 Likes

And :fedo:s

1 Like

Why canā€™t you click on the New Topic button in General Discussion?

Itā€™s perfectly clickable:

The old ā€˜General Discussionā€™ within the ā€˜EVE Communication Centreā€™ on the old forum, is now called ā€˜Generalā€™ within the ā€˜General Discussionā€™ area on the new forum.

Itā€™s not rocket science.

1 Like