Do you prefer the new or old forums? [POLL]

LOL, go look at the old forums. Eve Communication centre directly allowed access to General Discussion without sub categories.
Maybe the problem is with the way the categories are named - Any logical person would think by clicking General Discussion you are entering a category called general discussion - Not something that contains unrelated subcategories.
For example, what makes crime and punishment a category of General Discussion would it not fit better in PVP Game Play? My Eve would by far fit better with Eve Fiction (story telling).

This nice little click fest CCP have released is just another example of them not caring what is best for the community but the cheapest option for them…

3 Likes

None of which explains why you can’t click the New Topic button which you are whining about.

It’s perfectly clickable when you are in the forum you want to post in.

Edit: By the way, the General Discussion area also allows direct access to General topics, just like the old forum did.

3 Likes

It really isn’t but it completely negates the drop down menu on the right. Which I suppose is acceptable, redundancy is a thing.

I wonder, does everyone use the forums the same way or do some like a nice simple easy to navigate interface that isn’t multiple choice?

As I said, the navigation on this site is just bad and so I imagine that once the forums start getting used by more than a handful of players many will just stop bothering to navigate the mess.
Shame really, I used to like my time on the forums, had many lively discussions but this new cliche site isn’t for me.

Don’t bother trying to defend this mess to me further, I won’t be back.
Bookmark removed, logging out permanently.
Thankyou CCP for nothing.
GTF.

1 Like

Yes, its looks futuristic,
but information placement is ‘linear’ and too ‘close up’ - I can’t see a damn thing!
Like it was design to ‘feed’ users with carefully handy-picked pieces of ‘what we think you need’.
Lack of freedom, wide sight.

1 Like

seeing the character name who posted the original topic was better, especially for looking to buy a toon with a great name or avoid complete shitposters.

1 Like

Seeing this rubbish: Where is the option to turn off animated emojis? Other, arguably less advanced sites have implemented methods to make this rubbish only move/animate when you mouse over them, for instance.

2 Likes

Hmmm … for instance, the size of the text? Not to mention the fact that, if you click on the huge General Discussion you get presented with a topics list, a rules sticky and thus the impression that you are in this forum and not just an overview? Maybe also the fact that in the old forum the header was an actual header of the forum section and the word “Channels” clearly conveyed that these are the sub forums?

2 Likes

This is weird but in a good way I suppose. Why did they get rid of corp information though?

so sad to see how forums are now.

It is really great to design forums for mobile usage for game which can not be played on mobile.

1 Like

I prefer the original when it comes to overview of topics, the only major asset I see is when making a reply it creates a bottom window not tied to a post in topic so am free to look around.

It might be just because it is new so will use it for a bit see if get used to it.

1 Like

Do this question and poll matter?

CCP isn’t going back to the old one. Might be a better idea to make suggestions to improve your experience with this new wife.

1 Like

Those damn kids better get off your lawn.

Cute little citation you got there, a full article on why being stuck in your old habits is better than learning a new more efficient way to do things. If it were up to you and that article, we would still be digging ditches with shovels instead of backhoes, and making buildings out of mud and straw instead of steel and concrete.

While I will acknowledge that new is not always better, sometimes it is. A more efficient way to do things is always better, even when new habits have to be formed. Being stuck in your old ways, and refusing to budge or learn something new, is a sign of a sclerotic mind. One of the key stumbling blocks in finding a better design is trying to maintain continuity with prior expectations or established convention, long after such habits have ceased to be useful. Breaking free of old patterns that no longer work as well as they once did opens up new opportunity for superior solutions, and as I grow older, I have learned to embrace change.

If we stuck with established expectations, we would be playing off line games while looking at green screens.

Anyway, I hope those clouds listen then next time you yell at them. Damn things!

1 Like

Well this takes some getting used to for sure as I first thought the page didn’t load correctly. But see some things that I like and it reads well. Once I got the navigation down all should be fine.

1 Like

I believe the poll was made by a player, not CCP. That being said, I personally expected there to be some kick back as people don’t like change. One of my personal favourite complaints that I saw was ‘Why isn’t my likes carried over’. But anyway back to the important point, personally I was not a fan when I first saw these forums that opinion has changed :slight_smile:

You’re absolutely right, the best thing people can do is make suggestions as to what can be improved on these forums within the bounds of what the software can do.

1 Like

CPP has fallen prey to the latest in ‘must change the design because how to designers get paid?!’ design fads: “WHITESPACE IS GOOD”

It is good if you have a very singular message to convey and you want to make it very clear, for example a sales website. Its not good for a general purpose website, all you do is waste alot of time and well space.

On top of that the signal to noise ratio is going to go to crap because now we have to scroll through all the stupid pictures every person wants to post for whatever reason.

I hope we get the option to disable pictures, just went looking and nope couldn’t find a setting to disable pictures.

So terrible whitespace design (wasted space and time), and pictures (wasted space and time) make the new forums much worse than the old for me.

Dont like the font either.

1 Like

This is an excellent question and implementing that option is a great suggestion.

I’ve noticed that when scrolling various threads, the animated emojis and gif’s create lag causing the scroll action to freeze up. As more animated emo’s are contained within the posted reply, that freeze action persists longer.

If there’s multiple replies posted back to back with each one containing an overload of animated emo’s or gif’s, the scroll action freezes and then jumps past the point you were viewing as the client catches up with the last movement of the mouse scroll wheel.

Then when you try to back scroll to your last viewing spot, you encounter jumpy lag due to bypassed replies containing animated emo’s and gif’s when the client did the jump to re-sync with the last movement of the mouse scroll wheel.

It’s very frustrating and annoying, as well as taking much more time than what’s actually needed to view the contents of a thread. So yeah, I’m in complete agreement of implementing mouse over action to animate emo’s and gif’s.

DMC

2 Likes

um. what about a giant css that makes this forum look like the old one. with pagination and everything (why would you want that)

Theoretically you can do that. Discourse is using a client/server architecture after all, and the javascript client that’s used to render pages actually runs on top of the same API offered to third party developers. So, you are free to make a different client entirely.

3 Likes

Hmmm that makes me curious, with what other application CCP could integrate these forums? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t like it at all. I can’t readily access my in-game mails, and I can’t look at portraits properly the way they were meant to be seen, which severely diminishes my enjoyment. Change these things and I might feel better about the new forums.

3 Likes