Do you prefer the new or old forums? [POLL]

I would not expect to see in game Eve Mails integrated into these forums. At least not anytime soon. You can access your evemails here: https://gate.eveonline.com/Mail/Inbox, or using any of a number of cellphone applications written by third parties.

Regarding the avatars you can use this third party script [UserScript] Avatar Size & Sub-Category Adjustment to increase the size of avatars on your client.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Sorry, but no it does not help. Thanks for the info though.

1 Like

This improves the new forum so damn much it’s not funny. Should be enabled by default.

1 Like

ugh but why.

please someone do cool things but don’t spend your time on this planet reverting discourse into the old forums

1 Like

Now we need an assist tuto for a forum. That make sense to you ?.. Gosh there is something wrong in that way… We need brain implant to use a forum now… :confused: Oh Wait maybe… Can we have one CCP ?

1 Like

#haelp

Will pay isk for not ■■■■ forum

1 Like

Well… infinite scroll is used by most websites/programs/apps etc.

1 Like

That may be, but its not useful for a forum. Try reading a facebook comment thread and see how easy it is to keep that going without tiring.

1 Like

I don’t find this anywhere near the pain of a Facebook comment thread. I can jump back and forth between posts and replies painlessly here. I have confidence that it will keep my place here and go back to where I last read when I return to a thread, I can easily bookmark an exact position within a thread, and when scrolling through all those replies finally does get painful because of a threadnaught, I just jump back to the top and fire off summary mode to get a feel for the conversation without having to read all the “me too! reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” posts.

3 Likes

Fairly easy actually… Scrolling is also easier than clicking on ‘next’ or sth like that.

1 Like

Paged forum shape is useful for finding posts/discussion.

CCP Falcon commented with some useful information on Page 6 of this thread.

You don’t get such benefit on continual scrolling. So basically, if you want people to read something and never come back, scrolling is a-okay. But if you’re treating the forum as reference material (and that’s what Dev posts are), then pages are a very useful thing to have.

2 Likes

Why would you do that and not just link the post you want to refer to?

That’s both just as easy and much more user friendly to the people you are speaking with.

Why dev posts would otherwise be anymore difficult to find than another users posts isn’t all that clear either. They are pretty easy to find.

1 Like

I’m more apt to dump this new whore than work things out just because she wants them a certain way.

1 Like

ISD StallISD

2d
 Kosoku


I believe the poll was made by a player, not CCP. That being said, I personally expected there to be some kick back as people don’t like change. One of my personal favourite complaints that I saw was ‘Why isn’t my likes carried over’. But anyway back to the important point, personally I was not a fan when I first saw these forums that opinion has changed :slight_smile:

This whole paragraph feels like a big, inconsiderate, F-YOU.

Is that CCP’s stance?
Or just your personal opinion?

2 Likes

100% my own opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not talking about communicating it to others. If you happen to require some information that you remember being in a specific location (even for curiosity’s sake). Even if it’s not the exact page, you can jump to a location (page) close to what you’re looking for then refine your search from there.

This doesn’t work with the infinite scroll. If - at the time - the comment/post in question was a quarter of the way down the thread, there’s no guarantee it’ll still be a quarter of the way down at a later date… thread length grows with time. Page 6 is always Page 6, even in a 100 Page threadnaught.

TLDR: Pagination makes informal searching easier for the end-user because it’s coarse-grained.

2 Likes

It doesn’t need to be. You can go directly to the posts of any person in a thread. It’s simple.

No need to look through page after page, just add a filter for someone (or even several people with comma separation).

They announced the change on the 20th of June, here is the dev blog.

So there was plenty of time to gather feedback before the switch to the new forums.

2 Likes

Not really. 6 weeks is pretty short timeline, especially when no other alternatives were even offered. A thing like this should have really taken at least 3 months, with only the GD section being made read only just on the off chance that the forums just didn’t work.

Except CCP jumped the boat, threw everything on to it and went “POST ALL THE THINGS HERE!” without realising that “Whoops, we need to make a new wide theme. Oh we’re going to have to get 3rd parties to do scripts for it”. To be fair, the forums have been stable, but just their implementation has been a bit of a train wreck.

1 Like

https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/

2 Likes