Do you prefer the new or old forums? [POLL]

New forums are definitely better in most ways. Just a shame we’ve lost the ability to quickly see what corp/alliance someone was in, and we can see fewer posts on the screen.

3 Likes

Hmm… fair to say. I guess not all the outcomes could be predicted and maybe they rushed it a bit, but I guess they have been confident after testing the features internally. For me the 6 weeks period seemed good enough.

When I checked the new forums my first impression was like: “What is this mess?!” Then I began to use it, went through the tutorials that the bot gave me, and in just a few all seemed pretty natural and working just fine. Takes some getting used to, but overall it is a good experience.

Yes, we need the old function that showed the corp/alliance of the poster, I agree. And please - larger and square avatars! Probably there are other things that can be improved, but these two are on the top of my list.

2 Likes

I added those user scripts to my browser and the forums look much better as well as being more user friendly.

2 Likes

I miss my signature. Don’t know where to put it unless I am missing something.
cheers

1 Like

You can’t. Discourse Devs believe themselves to be above such things.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! These scripts work nicely! Good call! :grinning:

1 Like

New forums don’t even work on old iPhone with iOS 6.1.3
And CCP says “it’s more mobile device frienldy”

What a joke.
Old forums worked perfectly fine on iOS 6.1.3
The problem with iOS 6.1.3 is that i can’t even select character when i log in.
Totally useless crap.

Give us back old forums and remove this forums.

1 Like

Referring to posts is easy as Aura since there are options to link and name post number which can be typed in the URL.

2 Likes

When the answer to a question is “something that someone posted somewhere near page 6” all the search, filter, bookmark and et cetera functions are useless. There is a reason why mankind dropped scrolls in favour of books 1700 effing years ago, and a reason why page numbers are key to the advancement and sharing of knowledge.

All the search and filter and bookmark functions of Discourshit could be the same in a paged forum and that forum wouldn’t be crippled by the ultimate idiocy of infinite scroll.

Not to mention that CCP pussied off of letting the users use Discourshit’s most prominent feature, aka built-in message system.

1 Like

I love the older forums cuz you can see what alliance and Corporation somebody’s in

1 Like

I can much more easily write something like:

@Chocolate_Pickle commented on this here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/do-you-prefer-the-new-or-old-forums-poll/4683/172

Which turns into:

@Chocolate_Pickle commented on this here:

There’s several ways to get the link directly to the comment, but the easiest is the upper right hand corner, where the timestamp of the post is actually a direct link.

The URL in the browser also follows the scroll, so as you scroll through a post, you can copy and paste from there too.

sadly your example is somehow broken, at least on my browser, and part of text is clipping out of area.

must be very handy !

1 Like

Linking directly to comments (a feature I genuinely like, as with tagging people) is good once you’ve found them. My claim is that a paged-forum makes it easieir to come back at a far later date and find something that you didn’t copy/write-down/link to in the first place.

Maybe that post wasn’t relevant to you at the time, but has become relevant now.

Can you easily find the post where CCP Rise clarified that the jump range increase from 5-to-6 AU didn’t apply to Blops?

1 Like

Considering that the search box can be constrained by thread, I’d expect to be able to find something within a thread just as easily as I can find a particular thread.

On a side note, I should also point out there’s a built-in bookmarking system, hiding under the triple dot menu next to the reply button.

Well, out with the old, in with the new, right? Maybe, on my end. I feel that there are major good points and major faults with the new system that’s been set into place, so I’ll just take the time to break down the good, the bad, and the ugly.

First off, here’s what I like about the forums:

1. Overall, it’s rather simplistic in nature, and as such major forums are easy at least to find. If I do get lost (and get lost I will), I can bookmark everything, including behind CCP Falcon’s t-shirt if I really wanted to.

2. The interface is outstanding, and I get a real-time picture of what I’m typing. I’ve got so many bells and whistles that it’s hard to use them all at any given point! The team has really outdone itself here. :slight_smile:

3. The notifications panel seems to have taken on a life of its own, sort of like Frankenstein. All I’ve got to do is go there and I know precisely what’s going on, and this offers a better picture of who’s blowing up what inbox without me having to login to the game client. Overall, IT’S ALIVE!!!

However, with all these pros, there are several cons that have likely also been addressed by other users. However, I still wish to re-iterate them, because at the end of the day I hate being that jackass who says absolutely nothing even when my OCD is going completely berserk on me.

1. A less blocky list format on threads would be pretty rad. The old forums, while good, still had a blocky feel because they remained stuck to the old 4:3 aspect ratio that still prevails on the Internet for some reason. This new design, ironically enough, significantly compounds on that problem. Threads are hard to read and follow because they make so little use of horizontal space. Overall, it’s not easy on my eyes.

2. Ease up on color contrast, please! All these bright blues against a dark grey background hurt my eyes. A more subdued blue would do wonders for those like me (read: those with no life) who like to stare at screens all day :stuck_out_tongue:

3. Pages!!! It absolutely murders CPU and RAM on slower machines, to have absolutely massive pages that go on without end for larger threads like this one. Not to mention it lends a bit more organization to the thread, so that browsing and going back to specific replies becomes easier. If this were implemented, it’d make life easier for a lot of people.

4. More a suggestion than a peeve, I would love to see individual faction themes make their way onto the forums, not unlike the way they have for the game client’s interface. I think it would be the coolest thing since sliced bread in terms of EVE’s message boards.

1 Like

Actually, no, it doesn’t. You will normally only have around 20 posts loaded at a time, because posts are loaded and unloaded from the page in the background as you scroll. That’s why the slider is needed, because the regular scroll bar lies about your position in the page. Performance wise, it works well even on anemic smartphone CPUs with considerably less RAM than any machine that could possibly play EVE.

If your computer’s struggling with CPU/RAM on this site, something else is wrong.

it would be nice if i could post a new topic in other areas like recruitment >.<

The main problem for many of Us is nbandwidth. Some of us have a los connection (4 mb) and if u have a good computer with 32 gb ram anyway you have problems.

It says the last post in this thread is from August 2017. I thought the new forums closed threads after a few weeks. Is it being kept alive by the poll?

edit: a few years later

When CCP first implemented these forums, they allowed all threads to be posted with no automatic 90 day inactive lock function, eventually after the old forums were shut down and more players posted threads here, CCP implemented the automatic 90 day inactive lock and all threads created after that had the function applied to them…

1 Like