Do you think Eve echos will effect EVE population?

Has anyone here actually played EVE Echoes? It’s incredibly bad.

Activision-Blizzard: ‘‘dont u guys have phones?’’

i dont have a mobile phone…

also mobile games are brain cancer, never gonna touch that crap

2 Likes

Yes, and indeed.

This is CCP’s response for the players calling for EVE Classic.

2 Likes

And by people you mean CCP? Because after all they were the ones completely abandoning it and never acually adding any gameplay to it.

To constantly pick platforms that are either dying or still born is just a really idiotic move and literally gambling with the company. There is a time and place for risky investment, but if your only product is slowly fading and you need something to replace the income, it probably isn’t.

And this is just another VERY SIMILAR example. The mobile market is a casual gaming market. And even if it wasn’t, the technical limitations like heat or battery life are kinda important.

It is just another attempt to jump on the bandwagon of what looks to a CEO is the next big thing so he FOMOs his company into this market to get a piece of the pie, not knowing what the constraints are.

There is a really really good recipe how to make a successful game. You create one you would actually want to play yourself. That’s how they created EVE, that’s why it us still online. Somehow the have forgotten that and now it’s just about trying to find the next thing to make money.

3 Likes

I would try it but honestly what can keep me there? If it looks exactly like PC version then why should i play the same but not so comfortable as on PC? Not even nebulas are new, no new stations etc. Nothing of those easy things. I know they want low effort but thats not the way to go because at first mainly current EVE players will try it and then leave because nothing new.

Low effort = low chances (tbh more like no chances)

This really isn’t an issue. People are expected to have enough brain cells to know and say, “I only have 4% battery life left, probably shouldn’t use it up playing video games”. Heat really isn’t a problem since most phones can’t even get that hot to begin with.

Given the fact that pretty much every single major franchise is hopping over to mobile gaming, you would have to be incredibly dumb not to take advantage of the single fastest growing aspect of video games.

Turns out a lot of developers actually enjoy the pick-up-and-play style of mobile video games. Unless of course, you’re suggesting that the good recipe to making a successful game revolves around how you, Karak Terrel, would actually want to play.

1 Like

Well, Karak likes (liked?) EvE, so he gets my vote when games need to be picked from a stack.

PS: mobile games suck, all of them.

1 Like

Sure, that’s really a matter of opinion. But mobile games make money, lots of it, for very little actual work.

It’s possible to understand why a company wants to get into the mobile game market and at the same time criticize the game itself for being an unfun game.

1 Like

Well that’s sort of what they did. 8 years in development and cancelled with nothing to show for it. They sold all the IP to Paradox a year later.

I don’t know. I’d say it’s ahead of it’s time.

The reason I say this is because notebooks with plug-ins for mobile phones …
… so your mobile phone turns into an actual ■■■■■■■ android based notebook
… already exist … !!!
… but aren’t actually common yet. :frowning:

Seriously though … did anyone actually think of it being a game for tablets,
Maybe it’s not a phone game, but a tablet game.

Besides that … ANY android based notebook can play it too, no?
There’s plenty of people out there who use ChromeBooks exclusively!
They couldn’t ever have played EVE before it got ported to android!

Maybe everyone just calls it a phone game
because the market is the same?

I never heard anyone say “android”, only “mobile”.
Same goes for Apple, really. It’s “mobile”, not the “iOS” market.

1 Like

Is it really that risky? How much money was spent on developing these games and what effect did it have on CCP’s profits? Do you have a list of employee salaries and work hours allocated to them? Can you provide some numbers evaluating the financial risks relative to speculative investments by other companies?

What did you expect? There’s a reason everyone hated WIS getting development resources, there was simply no meaningful gameplay to add. WIS was nothing more than a development project and tech demo for the new WoD game they were working on. It had zero future and zero reason to exist and anyone who believed otherwise was hopelessly idealistic. And when the WoD project died WIS instantly became legacy code that was removed as soon as supporting it became an issue.

Instead of talking about this irrelevant ■■■■■■■■ …
… people should be talking about gathering up in groups on the Echoes server …
… to ■■■■ their ■■■■ up!

But NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo…

I’m surrounded by people who love to read themselves write!

The fanfest video showed CCP’s vision for WiS. It was supposed to integrate with Dust 514, as well as give players the opportunity to kill pilots who never undock. IIRC, there were also plans to add market stalls and mini-games, as well as a stripper bar. There was also a tech demo of atmospheric flying, but I don’t know what happened afterward.

And anyone who believed the marketing hype was hopelessly idealistic. EVE has never had the population density to make something like WIS work, and a bunch of pointless minigames weren’t going to change this fact.

Yeah I know. But back then Eve was blossoming back then with 50k-60k average concurrent users. When CCP first aired this vision video, everyone gave it a standing ovation and demanded an encore. Those were the days. :smiley:

3 Likes

This is probably why they’ve stopped giving us anything resembling a roadmap. Because they know all they can do is provide empty hype and then fail to follow up on it all.

Don’t know if thats even possible.

Me neither, but that shouldn’t stop us from being prepared … right?

If you have a game with the gameplay like “oh I have to make 20 jumps, that takes like 30min and 60% of my battery” then yes it is important. If you have a game where you can have fun for 10min and then close it again that works, EVE is no such game.

You also have to be pretty dumb if you think that that “fast growing market” is just waiting for a product that maybe works on a completely different platform well, without even thinking about if that gameplay translates. If you are good at making PC games then make PC games. The mobile market isn’t necessarily for you just because you can make games for PC, this is a completely different audience and a completely different device with different constrains.

WTF is wrong with you?

They had a lot of plans for this and showed even working tech-demos before they released the “one room”. They could have easily expanded on it over the years. The community reacted to the underdelivering and the cash shop and not to walking in stations itself.

1 Like