Does anyone notice nobody talks and local anymore

hey kid, consider that you might not know what you are talking about, or might not understand what things lead to other things, so instead ASK QUESTIONS SO YOU MIGHT POTENTIALLY LEARN SOMETHING, instead of making yourself look like our resident idiot in here.

So, try:

• How do you figure that?

… or alternatively …

• What makes you think that?

… or, how about …

• That sounds weird. Why?

You know … THE SMART THING TO DO!

1 Like

Do you ever stop?

The irony.

4 Likes

And don’t forget BREXIT !

This is why I don’t like to chat in Local. This is a game where my Corp has told me we don’t even talk with each other in Corp chat (because of spys) and we’re meant to chat in discord or team speak channels. Honestly I only have local chat open so I can see who is in system.

I’ll sometimes talk in local but its usually because I’ve been tackled or run into a gate camp. I find chatting with the people who destroyed your ship makes the loss less harsh. You remind yourself these are just people trying to have some fun just like you.

3 Likes

We can afk cloak entire regions with a single toon!!

2 Likes

More importantly, bots can’t auto-dock when local has a non-blue enter.

Smart is relative. Don’t believe everything you think

1 Like

Well, I believe facts. You apparently don’t.

I understand that the change in local dynamics didn’t happen out of nothing, purely coincidentially, out of nowhere, literally everywhere in highsec at the same time. Unlike you, apparently, who seems to rather believe in fate or higher powers magically making it happen.

No, it was changes made by CCP that shifted the demographic towards people who rather farm instead of being social. CCP even tried to mitigate the damage they’ve done by adding an achievement that’s supposed to make people start talking to others in local.

All that did, though, was making people contact others just so they got it behind them, then they quitted the chat again. Observed that often enough, was absolutely depressing. Later on they went even as far as adding a ridiculous CHAT BUBBLE to get people to talk more, showing how abso-■■■■■■■-lutely disconnected they are.

So YOU can stay in your imaginary dream land believing that CCP had absolutely nothing to do with it, while I stay within reality and understand that changes CCP makes are causing “the people” to change their behaviour.

Yes, smart is relative. In the group of smart people there’s people who are smarter and there’s those who aren’t as smart as the top ones. YOU, though, don’t appear to belong into this group at all.

There. Use your brain next time, instead being a robot basically screaming CONSPIRACY THEORY with not a single conscious thought behind it.

You’re welcome.

:blush:

2 Likes

What’s the point of talking in local?

If the discussions are anything like here, actual communication would be too difficult: in real-time chats it’s not practical to sort the static from the real communication.

My experience is limited, but I don’t remember ever seeing an interesting chat in EVE. I’ve seen a lot of nonsense though.

Random “contact” with other people has mainly been watching them steal, or try to steal things from me, or seeing them zoom past me while blitzing content that I’m naively doing in a context-appropriate ship.

This kind of problem isn’t unique to EVE, but EVE reinforces all the normal communication difficulties.

2 Likes

It’s easy communication with others in space. I often use it, either to share info about a nearby camp to another friendly explorer, greeting a fellow miner, taunting an enemy hunter that just missed me warping out, chatting to a neutral roaming our space who complains that he’s not getting any 1v1s, etc. Local is what allows us to easily interact in this MMORPG.

Sure, there are other chat channels for 1v1 discussions or group discussions. But local is perfect for any small chat between random people you encounter in space. Unless you’re in a system like Jita ofcourse.

4 Likes

How can you tell another player is “friendly” (unless you know them already of course)?

To the extent I’ve tested this, it’s been noting what “strangers” have said to me in local. As I indicated in the earlier post, I don’t recall anyone testing to see if I might be friendly, nor ever receiving unsolicited useful information.

There are two types of ‘friendly’ in the game. First is the type of player that wouldn’t shoot you, the second is the type of player that you can have a ‘friendly’ conversation with. These two groups can be completely different.

I’ve had friendly conversations with neutrals flying in my space, people who weren’t blue to me (= friendly in the first sense), but were certainly friendly in chat. While he might aggress me when he sees me, he can still be friendly in the second sense.

Where I live in null sec space, I see lots of random friendly people I don’t know: they’re part of allied corporations and we appear blue to each other. High sec space is more dangerous, it’s full of neutrals where you have no idea about their mechanical ‘friendliness’.

But even though they might shoot your ship, you can have a friendly conversation with them. :wink:

5 Likes

you have to test, whether they are friendly or not. Talking to them does not engage you to anythg.
You can talk in local with a guywho has just destroyed your ship. This is a game. With pixels. People do not really shoot you. Only pixels.
I do explo and regularly exchange infos on local with some neutrals. Like “XXX sig is a combat site”, or “gate camp next door” etc
I even know some systems where inhabitants regularly try to catch me when i come to scan. But we talk in local. Why not?

I rarely get unsolicited useful information. I’m usually the one to share such info. It’s one of the ways to start a friendly conversation! Sure, they might still shoot you afterward, but being nice in local won’t hurt you.

Garard

Thanks

I play solo and in higher security areas, so I have no indirect friends like applied corps. The early game (so far I always I got stopped early by the crazy high “hassle factor” of doing simple things) is not very social.

Exactly! Trying to shoot eachother doesn’t mean you cannot have a friendly conversation in local while doing so!

That’s because high sec space is scary. All those neutrals and you have no idea who might be after you. In null sec space it’s easier, if they’re neutral they will likely kill you if you give them a chance.

But even if you’re in high sec space among lots of potential enemies, you could still share help and info with others in local, or start a conversation. Offer help to people trying to kill Dagan for the SoE arc, warn people when you see Code enter system or tell fellow neutral miners it might be dangerous to sit on the warp-in point.

Or if you want to be social while solo in high sec, help some rookies in the rookie chat. :wink:

1 Like

(Gerard - I hit “reply” to your post but responded to Wyk, & don’t know how to change it. Sorry.

Wyk

I’ve tried to discuss the idea of “talking to the person who just ganked you” before, but it’s never led anywhere useful. But I can say with confidence: some people in my situation do it, but some never will.

I think this is partly a highSec thing. If I knew I was intruding on someone’s territory and they blew me up I would react differently. In highSec it’s either a boring gank, or a griefer. I have no idea why a ganker would take out a cheap T1/T1 ship, nor can I imagine they (or, of course, a griefer) could have anything interesting to say.

1 Like

You make the mistake of thinking that people who like shooting spaceships are unfriendly. Friendly people can enjoy shooting spaceships.

3 Likes