Drone ship pve in highsec l4 not viable anymore.. fix suggestion included

I’ve lost salvage drones in missions due to too aggressive anti-drone AI.
I mean, ignoring the 1400+ dps Kronos to go after the salvage drones is crazy.
Rarely happens, but it DOES happen. Something is broken.

1 Like

Plot Twist: They’re secretly carebears, who’ve gotten angry about you stealing “their” salvage.

1 Like

Knowing CCP, they have their spin department working on creating lore to explain it.
Everytime CCP, thru poor programing or lack of development foresight, creates abnormal or unintended results they tend to either now state “Chaos Era!” as a coverall or retrofit some lore to explain it. If physicians had the same results, we all would be dead by now. (Hey, with Cov-19, who knows. Sigh)

1 Like

I like your tinfoil hat, Bob.

1 Like

Thanks! I took your advice and visited the same store you buy yours wholesale from; nice people.

1 Like

What they didn’t tell you is that the tinfoil only reflects one wavelength of the men in black’s mind control machine, and they stopped using that one around the time they recruited a cop with terrible fashion sense.

Yeah, I know it wasn’t intentional, but there are so many unintentional features/bugs in this game, including some CCP leaves for years on purpose because they like how they work (like no longer needing standings to create jump clones at NPC stations)… that it becomes a bit of a moot point.

If it’s not fixed for years, it doesn’t really matter any longer if it was on purpose to begin with or not. It’s a bit of an ends justify the means situation, in a way. The game is the way it is, there are several ways that drone aggro is broken (or not)… intentionally or unintentionally by the devs.

As for the rest… yes, as I pointed out in my example, I can be doing painting/webbing, cap/armor/shield RR, and doing 250% damage in my Leshaks and the light drones with still take aggro (from all sorts of NPC ship sizes). The rules are not applied properly, probably because of the aforementioned multiple ways the drone aggro is broken for one reason or another.

And as I said, I’ve seen L4 mission rats who pursue drones with greater vengeance that I’ve seen sleepers go after them in a C4, C5, or C6 site.

That’s great if you’re in a droneboat like a Domi or a Snake that doesn’t really need to fill the highslots with weapons, sure… slap dem remote reppers on, be a one man drone repping machine.

But what if you’re in a vindi with 8 neutron blaster cannons filling all 8 high slots? Sure, vindis don’t care that much about their drone damage, but they have 125 m3 of bandwidth they can’t use very effectively while solo or even in pairs unless there’s a RR-dedicated ship on grid to keep the drones up.

No, I’m afraid that most ships will just have to practice careful drone management… keep 'em within 20 to 30 km (rip your max 60 km of DCR), pull 'em at the earliest sign of trouble, and rep them in between waves, rooms, missions, or go tether on a public citadel for a bit.

I never knew the game before drone aggro, but I can only imagine how nice it was back then (with regular rats, it’s fine for africanized incursion killer bees and sleepers/drifters/trigs and the rest of the “special” rats having a special distaste for drones). Getting used to the way things are now for droneboat pilots back then? … must be brutal.

yep, same here. Lost salvage drones with 3x Leshaks, again, firing over 3000 DPS downrange.

Meaning I might as well just come back in a Noctis even with the POWAH of 15x salvage bots that could be cleaning up the mission alongside the Leshaks superlasering everything in sight.

Anywho. Just using triple Claymore for most of my missioning lately. It’s my treat to myself for finally training my other 2 main toons into command ships and boosting fully like my 3rd toon/incursion booster alt. 2x Machariels + 1x Noctis for some real multitasking when I get bored of that, tho. :wink:

ITT: People bragging about how they use one or more battleships and or one or more t2 ships to run missions.

Heya! I know you’re a very knowledgeable man. I have a question.

You’re old enough to remember. Many years ago we’ve used battlecruisers to run level4 missions and it was fine. People didn’t appear to require what would have been considered massive overkill back then, yet here we are. People exist, who literally brag about requiring what I personally would consider absolutely ridiculous for running missions.

What the ■■■■ happened?

Back in the day I ran a couple of Drake fits for level 4s, RHML and HML versions, both could do the extravanza bonus room no worries. Near maxed core skills, BC 5, faction missiles and a couple of cheap high meta modules made it surprisingly efficient.

I might undock one and see how good it is after all the patches.

1 Like

I used to use a hurricane, long range!

Great idea! Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

MJD RHML Raven did a good job for lvl 4’s and was ideal for ripping your way through SoE lvl 3’s.

Is that a joke?

Nope, it’s not the most efficient way of doing it but it worked for me. We’re not talking about current meta fits, we’re talking about the past.

That Raven meta is several years old.

I used the wrong tense, it’s corrected now.

I can just imagine the raven crawling between the mission gates. Or traveling 15 jumps to the next agent.

It was a blitzing fit, warp in kill the primaries warp out, the MJD was also accompanied by a prop mod.

Why would you travel 15 jumps to an agent? Location is everything.

I misread your post. I thought you were talking about the SOE epic arc.

Oh god no, I use silly stuff for that, I’ve done it in everything from a corvette to a mining barge lol. Used a Badger and a Nereus too.

1 Like

Can you share your Corvette fit for Dagon?