Drones and anomic base

Hello,

I’m coming back to Eve Online and I’d like to be able to run L4 Anomic base missions with the Wyvern in it.
For this, I’d like to try out the Gila fit mentioned on the link above (which I upgraded, please don’t mind the price of this fit):

[Gila, Burner Antero]

Sentient Drone Damage Amplifier
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Pithum A-Type Medium Shield Booster
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile
Corpum A-Type Medium Energy Nosferatu

Medium EM Shield Reinforcer II
Medium Thermal Shield Reinforcer II
Medium Kinetic Shield Reinforcer II

Caldari Navy Vespa x2
Federation Navy Hammerhead x2
Imperial Navy Infiltrator x2
Republic Fleet Valkyrie x2
Salvage Drone I x4

My questions is regarding drone damage and orbit velocity.
In the mission, I will be facing:

1. Dragonfly - 1200m/s but webifier slows it to 480m/s

2. Mantis - 1200m/s but can not be webbed due to orbit range

The Mantis weakest shield resistance is thermal (52%), therefore I will use the Federation Navy Hammerhead fitted.
Those drones have:

• An orbit velocity of 528m/s

• A max velocity of 2419m/s

Would my drones be able to apply damages to these Mantis fighters due to the lack of orbit velocity?

The only material I found related to this topic is from EveUniversity Wiki:

Almost all drones (except the stationary sentry drones) have a built-in microwarp drive (MWD), which allows them to travel quickly to engage a target. Once they arrive near their target, they shut down their MWD, orbit the target, and fire their weapons. This means that drones have to travel to the target and then stay within range of it in order to apply their damage. In practice, this means that drones will have difficulty against faster, more agile targets, as even though they may be able to catch them thanks to their MWD, they may not be able to stay within weapons range for long at their non-MWD speed. Larger drones in particular are almost useless against fast frigates for this reason.

No skill or module affects the orbit speed of drones.

Could someone help me understand if I have a chance against these fighters with those drones?

Cheers,
Magni

My advise, run the mission on the test server. There is a command that lets you have +10 standing with all agents, so you can just skip missions until the one with the Wyvern is up and try it there.
The missions are the same on live and the test server.

Hammerheads will move at about 1700 m/s with MWD on, and then slow down to about 200 when it’s off.

against fast-ish moving targets like that, they will generally come in, get 1-2 good vollies, and then some oddness happens (usually the drone either moving too fast in a tangential direction to miss due to tracking speed, or slow down and get too far into fall off) for 2-3 shots, and then the cycle repeats.

Due to the speed of the target, I would recommend the Amarr or Minmatar (Infil’s or Valk’s) as it makes things more consistent overall due to the drone’s inherent AI behavior if you have them chasing targets moving faster than 1 km/s.

Note that the gila’s drone bay is large enough to have multiple sets of drones, so don’t be afraid to swap them out as the situation dictates.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.