Dropping PCU

They have done extensive market research. The players want a pvp only game with no rules and that is what they are delivering on.

Exactly, this hits ccp just like it does to the rest.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember the exact details, but I remember the Oz talking about them losing money thanks to them working on other games.

The moment to increase the subscription fee was very poorly chosen. Moreover, the past two years were barely more than a test of our patience and goodwill towards the game and the company.

On the other hand, thereā€™s the consideration that the 14.99 ($ or ā‚¬) that we paid 10 or even 19 years ago is today only worth a fraction of what it did back then. So, if anything, it was perhaps overdue if you look at it over that period (an unpopular view, but not completely wrong). The game has undeniably grown in content and richness over those two decades, devs came and went, some aspects of genius and of stupid were introduced. So Iā€™d consider 20 $/ā‚¬ per month for a hobby (and only if you pay the highest price) not even that much. Fitness centers in my country charge at least that per monthā€¦

Second, thereā€™s the question of bot detection and banned accounts. We donā€™t know the exact numbers, and they may well suppress the PCU.

Third, the rorqual years likely allowed for an increase in plexed i.e., unpaid, subscriptions. The scarcity era has pushed back, judging from more than a few threads on these forums. Something similar , on a smaller scale, happened when they made input broadcasting punishable, back in 2015 (?).

Fourth, world events have an influence on the PCU, currently in the negative with particularly loyal communities under pressure and not being able to play when and how they would like.

Fifth, the post from @Shipwreck_Jones is the worrying part. If a sizable chunk of the drop in PCU (and subscriptions) is due to a) the unpopularity of newly introduced game changes and b) the fact it takes far too long (yearsā€¦) to fix some of the aggravating elements in the game and re-establish some of the fun elements, then putting a development team on those aspects that the paying players are most upset about should be an absolute priority. It becomes a question of survivability of game and company if not handled with dilligence. Spreading development resources out too thinly is just about the last thing their prime cash cow, EvE online, needs right now. Plenty of players remember that one big release that consisted of nothing more than a collection of "fix the stupid"s. It was one of the best releases ever.

Anyway, thatā€™s my gratis opinion.

1 Like

Answer:

3 Likes

I think the more you play the game nowdays and in the last years, people just more and more realised that EVE is developed by people who has no connection to the game. They just hired by CCP and do things and bits, while CCP has idealistic dreams about the game (because they not playing EVE either), and we arrive to nowdays, where non-players hire non-players to develop content to actual players. Thatā€™s why people leaving, because they feel this. No reason to stay. Game just will be worse over time, or soon will be dead with these player numbers. New players canā€™t really do anything, so they leaving, old players are bored of no content and zero impact fights and PVP and stagnant universe. Nothing new thing/update/upcoming content on the horizon that urge people to stay, etc.

6 Likes

Probably another problem is that many players are disappointed or bored. After it was said that the biggest content update in EVE history was coming, nothing tangible for the immediate future was presented at Fanfest. No time frame would be set for the future either. So maybe, possibly, under circumstances, there could be new things in Movement Eden.

3 Likes

This is pretty much exactly it. Iā€™ve chatted with about two dozen players/former players (small sample I know but itā€™s getting harder to round up any EVE players at all). Not one of them feel that CCP is really moving the game forward, just treading ground desperately trying to hang onto their paychecks. Iā€™d also maybe change the word ā€œidealisticā€ there to ā€œunrealisticā€ or even ā€œfantasyā€.

Again, this is one of the common replies I got. 2 years of ā€œthe floggings will continue until morale improvesā€, then ā€œbiggest contentā€ hype, then nothing but vague promises of ā€œmore better soonā€. And then a price hike.

CCP is just becoming a case of the blind leading the blind. And players are about done with it.

5 Likes

Aaah!

Here they are, finally, the big fish!

Thanks to @Wadiest_Yong and @Shipwreck_Jones for these most relevant comments that I have read so far on this forum, and this for a long time!

Really very instructive!

Well done and thank you!

Ully Loom

3 Likes

Now look closely ā€¦
ennrGyA

1 Like

You had mentioned on your Youtube Vote a friend of yours who is running for CSM.
Did they start back in 2009 on a different pilot?

If it matters that person will be my #6 on the 1-10 vote selection list.

Your vote in the CSM Election was anonymously registered at 2022-06-08 18:39:13.
He was #6 but was just interested and reason for asking.

Hi, iā€™m not sure of the question. Was it a quote in support of me in the video?

I revisited the promo video Phantomite CSM 2022 - REAL EVE Youtube

Thinking that the Pilot is Torvald and not the actual personā€™s first name and so I searched for the pilot in game and found Torvald Uruz, then seen that pilot on the CSM Campaigns which reads ā€œstarted playing Eve in 2009ā€ The pilot in game shows Federal Navy Academy 2017.09.16 15:55 to 2017.09.16 21:01 (1 Day)

Now it might not be the same person? Torvald on the Phantomite CSM 2022 - REAL EVE Youtube

The reason for the extra interest in such background is that I read that person started doing missions etc then moved to nullsec and now present which is promising for new pilots such as myself to follow the simular footsteps and what better pilot to follow when one is on the CSM ballot.

So just cross referencing with fact checking and want to take this years CSM campaign candidates seriously.

Yea, it is Torvald Uruz mentioned there - I do recommend him as well as myself :slight_smile:
I myself started playing in 2007, but created the Phantomite char in 2008.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply and I appreciate you for your time here. I wish you Phantomite and all of the other candidates the best of luck.

1 Like

I doubt. I think if they make highsec pve only, trhat would attract much more players. A lot of people just enjoy looking at there spaceship mining a bit.

funny how pa pearl abyss game did not introduce nerfs in 2 years of covid and their game is doing fineā€¦ hmm if only they listened to the players. LOL

I keep seeing that lineā€¦but what was it you were able to do in the past that you canā€™t do now ? Surely most of the mega-content of the past, epic battles, intrigue, etc, was generated by the players themselves. If Eve has become stale, maybe it is because its the mega-corporations and alliances that have fallen into gridlockā€¦and that equally affects the ā€˜small fish in a vast seaā€™ feeling of noobs who cannot hope to compete with the massive in-game wealth built up over 2 decades.

A good deal of the stagnant in the world is from the players themselves.

1 Like

Blaming the players will solve nothing.

The calcification is due to the players merely following the incentives and rewards in the program. Giant null sec coalitions make sense, even if it isnā€™t fun for players that desire more autonomy. Small gang gameplay dies.

Sometimes I compare EVE to an ecosystem with smaller fish eaten by bigger fish, in turn eaten by the biggest fishā€¦ but itā€™s more like a giant aquarium in that itā€™s not closed and not self-sustaining and if the water isnā€™t replaced, all the fish die.

Individual players can make their own virtual fortunes, but the outcome of the system is out of their control. The personal decisions of alliance leaders can matter to some degree, but thatā€™s about it.

The fate of the game is not up to the players, because everything we do well through the lens of game rewards, is to the detriment of other players.
A hell-dunk-or-blueballs strat makes a big coalition richer, while the good fights dry up. On the opposite side of the spectrum a small explorer who is too cunning and slippery to be caught, is no content for hunters.

On the chinese server the system resulted in one big winner holding tournaments to combat the boredom. The game is not a sandbox.

Demand development for the omega you burn up for each account, for those of you who are still subbed.

2 Likes