Eve Bots - are they a bad thing, is CCP complicit in their use?

I’ll be going ahead and cleaning up some posts, please make sure to be respectful of each other and keep things on topic here.

For the sake of the conversation, yes part of the EULA that you agree to is agreeing that you will not use things like 3rd party software and macro’s to bot/cheat the game. Even if someone botting doesn’t effect you personally, it can hurt the game in other ways. It is encouraged to report bots if you see/find them.

CCP has stated that botting is illegal and that there is no such thing as a ‘good bot’ (see reply from CCP Pelegro on this exact thread where he addressed botting).

See the following:

Suspension and Ban Policy: 1.F Exploits

f. A player has created, distributed or advertised an illegal 3rd party program (i.e. macro or cheat program) that disrupts game mechanics, is considered unfriendly or gives an unfair advantage by misusing game features in a way for which they were not intended.

EULA: 6. Conduct - A. Specifically Restricted Conduct

1. You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play. You may not rewrite or modify the user interface or otherwise manipulate data in any way to acquire items, currency, objects, character attributes or beneficial actions not actually acquired or achieved in the Game.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You sound like a hall monitor impotently flashing his sash at anyone who walks by.

2 Likes

Today, some locals formed up and started ganking the courier bots in Itamo. It is disappointing to watch the pods continue to take missions and behave just like their fully intact courier buddies.

1 Like

Did you submit the video to CCP?

No video yet, but they run nearly 24/7, so it really does not matter. 20 min outside the station all one really needs.

1 Like

That assumes the people at CCP who review such things are free to jump on the server whenever they want and go places. Not all the computers will have EVE on them even I’d imagine. So a video showing the ganking & continuing behaviour is much easier to review than jumping on and hoping to catch them showing anomalous behaviour over a short window.

2 Likes

If content is so simple that a script can do it, and it doesn’t even look different from a player doing the same thing, then your game content is bad.

We got fed up with the bots in Itamo (the ones Sir Smashalot brought up) so we went on a rampage today:
https://zkillboard.com/alliance/99007165/kills/

Killed half the fleet in a couple hours. The pods continued to ‘run’ the missions for another hour, until someone obviously detected our actions. They reshipped into cheaper Iterons, restarted the whole botting operation over.

This ain’t over, we are just getting started :persevere:

5 Likes

There will be a steady stream of pods starting in Itamo and moving through the Jita hub area in loops, at least until their owners learn that another 10 of their bots have been ganked.

I should have included the timestamp on the screenshot, but it was 02:36, 2 hours after one of the bots was ganked

2 Likes

Ok, even after the pilot was destroyed and podded, the new pod returned to ‘running’ missions. No way that this is human behaviour.
https://zkillboard.com/kill/66498498/

3 Likes

5 pods running missions.

2 Likes

The nature of crime/violations, is such that sooner or later, inevitably, its going to negatively affect you or someone close to you.

Thats why we have rules/laws. To reduce the likelihood of that happening, to as remote and as infrequent an occurrence as possible.

Ramona may not care now, but she will when it impacts her or her friends directly.
She has the right to not care, but its short-sighted and ultimately self-defeating.

Fortunately for her and her friends, others do care.

Im out again, and will remain so unless someone tags me back in.

1 Like

No I wont.

Because the funny thing about not committing any “crimes” is that I dont have to care about the outcome as Im not doing them.

1 Like

Do you also not care if those “crimes” are enacted on you or your friends?

Someone is going to bot all over me?

Please describe how this operates.

EVE is a restricted fluid continuity, more akin to an aquarium than a sandbox.
Whether you care or not about the impact of bots on the system, it has impact on you and everyone else in it.

But this is pointless to explain to someone that stated they wouldnt care if 90% of EVE PCU was bots. If you care so little, you might as well leave the thread.

You “dont care”. We get it.

Fortunately CCP and people like OP do care about that, and go to great lengths to keep our aquarium a healthy environment for players rather than bots.

1 Like

Then stop mentioning me and bringing me back into it.

We all know you want to whiteknight the bots out.

The fact you do jack crap about it apart from cry though says a lot about what you actually come here for

1 Like

We all know you dont care even if 90% PCU is bots.
Is CCP a whiteknight for wanting TOS/EULA violators out?

You dont know what I have done about it.
The “Multi-Box War” was before your time.

We are both from the same time >.<

Its part of their job, not part of my game time.

Heres a question for you:
Do you agree or disagree that apathy towards botting is a problem?

1 Like

Yes. I would agree that apathy towards bots is a problem.
The problem being that it results in less action against botting, whether by CCP or players.

What is your response to the same question you posed?