EVE Gate Shutdown – Wednesday September 27th

Where’s the ability to down vote on this thread? We’ve had enough of the ‘tough luck paying customer’ type answers already. You’re input ISD Stall was unecessary.

1 Like

You think CCP hasnt had enough of the self-righteous ■■■■■■■■ from “customers” too? Is it really that hard to step back, and actually use your caffeine-addled brain for once? They took down evegate as a result of something categorized as a “fatal” flaw. That’s not the sort of stuff you leave a service up until you get it fixed or replaced. It’s along the lines of thinking it’s a good idea to drive a car that totally shuts down whenever the radio hits a certain, and random, volume.

1 Like

Well, the car worked fine for the last 10 years with this fatal flaw and apparently no one cared. Henceforth, I don’t see a reason why the car should not continue to function until an – at least light-weight – replacement of the service was put in place. After all, third parties managed to pull that off within a weekend in their spare time.

And I’m sure all the self-righteous idiots would prefer convenience over security too. That’s why decisions are made by CCP, and not popular opinion. Also, 2 things you’re being thickheaded about rivr. 1: unless you were someone involved in exploiting said vulnerability, the problem was at most a week old the time they made the announcement. 2: you really are clueless about development, arent you? But no, you’d rather have convenience over security.

1 Like

Do you have any link to what exactly happened to be this problem?

Lets remind we are speaking of entertainment.

What ever for security and confidentiality It is easier to trust CCP than unknown 3rd parties.

This is because I’m concern by security that I think then end of eve gate is a loss.

Hopefully this isn’t real life and the great work made possible to walk around this.

1 Like

What I don’t want is a senseless knee-jerk reaction over an orderly performed process of replacing the tech before canning the. Other companies cannot simply remove a rather important service to access company features without any replacement available or at least being developed in timely fashion. But by all means keep believing what you write.

And considering that EVE Gate has not seen any apparent development in many years, this problem was certainly not at most a week old. If at all, it received a look during the previous iteration of the forum overhaul a couple of years ago and apparently no one bothered to look for glaring security holes, which now all of a sudden popped up out of no where. You tell me, but to me it looks like that developers favor convenience over security just as much as what you accuse customers of. :innocent:

Just to be clear:

I put together a basic replacement.

The key word there is basic. I’m also not run off my feet with work.

And I don’t doubt that if they had left it up, and the flaw had been exploited, you’d be screaming about that.

I am not going to deny that I would be less than amused. And admittedly, I had to appreciate your work during a recent holiday because I was awaiting a mail and could not log in to EVE every day to check (after all, EVE still does not run on my phone :stuck_out_tongue: ). So, thanks for that. :slight_smile:
What I would have been positively amazed about, however, would be a coherently structured approach presented to us: We identified this issue, it could have caused this and that issue, that’s why we take down EVE Gate, but we have this currently basic replacement ready with this and this further feature in the pipe to enhance feature scope and usability for when you cannot access the client.

However, after repeated disastrous handling of security issues by companies like Equifax, it would probably be easier for my health if I voluntarily toned down my expectations instead of expecting betterment. :zipper_mouth_face:

I will missing EVE Gate for sure, but I think it’s better to close potential security holes, then just leave them open for the convenience of some features.

My point is that we’ve had both CCP Falcon and ISD Fractal chime in with that same kind of response, starting on day one of the thread. We didn’t need another from ISD Fractal. Oh and thanks for the ad hominem attack on me and my “caffeine-addled” brain. That always adds a lot of value to the discussion. I will strive to be a dank edge-lord.

Just like when this bug occured when the game logged you into someone elses account or when they boot.ini-ed a lot of windows instalations and you had a big problem. :joy:

People translate CCP as Can’t Code Properly for a reason. :wink:

2 Likes

WRONG!

EvE=srs bzns

Isnt most of the whining and bitching in this thread senseless knee-jerk reactions to begin with? Besides, evegate was merely an alternative access method for that stuff. Afterall, the main method of access, or what SHOULD be the main method of access, is logging into the game.

Besides, a “timely fashion” is quite possibly a different thing for them as it is for CCP. Even moreso when it’s probably the SSO team’s job to work on the website’s overhaul. Unfortunately, they’re also involved in everything related to the game.

Was there a thread for the EVE app?
Trying to send an important mail and I keep getting a “field missing” error each time…

Rubbish, logging into the game as the only way to check emails or queues when you’ve people out there you play with is a pain in the donkey ass arse bottom, the second you ping their awareness as logged in they want to talk to you & if you happen to only have 5 minutes that can be annoying.

A method to check in that doesn’t lead to unnecessary conversations where you have to spend half or more of a limited visits time frame disappointing in-game friends by saying no can’t fleet is a more than reasonable expectation in a modern MMO.

Suggesting we shouldn’t have an expectation of that kind of functionality (especially when we had it already) is simply mischievous, so I have to assume you’re trolling, so congratulations then, consider me successfully triggered :grin:

1 Like

when you fill in the name of the person you’re mailing, you have to search for them (as there may be other people with similar names).

If you fill in the name, the enter button will be replaced by a search button. (It’s an issue I’ve raised.)

1 Like

Hi guys,
I’m new to this game… I learning a lot from item database (evedroid beta apps), what needed and need to put this weapon online on my ship…
Suddenly i realize, there is a lot to do with managing my skill plan.
Do i need to turn on pc and login just to change skillplan…??? Ah! Thanks!! There is EvEgate to manage skillplan from my smartphone! But wait,
Does it just shutdown…?? OMG… :’-( :sob:

To manage the skills you are training you need to be logged in the game interface. To see the skill plan you can use the phone app.

Life saver! Didn’t notice the search button :joy: