So, I finally got a 4K monitor. I’d love to say everything looks amazing, but with graphics set to ‘high’ my graphics card ( RTX 3060 ) was roasting away at 80C even just sitting in dock in Jita. So ironically I’ve had to lower the graphics from the nice graphics I had with 1080 point monitor.
I scaled the UI up to 175%, which looks quite good…except, the UI for ship capacitor, etc is still quite small and the icons are somewhat washed out no matter how I adjust contrast, gamma, etc. For example on the old monitor the green bit that shows overloading capacity was a very noticeable green, and the swirling thing for showing the item cycling was also very noticeable…but now they are quite washed out and not so noticeable.
Which is a shame as 4K videos on Youtube display perfectly, as does my art on my art site, but it seems EVE can’t quite cope with 4K.
I don’t like the approach of switching many clients around as others seemingly do, so i don’t play EVE fullscreen on 4K.
I just use the enormous space to display 6 clients in parallel on such a monitor, because i want to see everything at once and want it accessible in an instant with my mouse. Graphics are turned down to save GPU memory.
Bought my 4K monitor in 2014…Samsungs first consumer monitor…very outspecced today with 60hz, but fine with EVE and so far i don’t miss anything.
I fixed the issue. I was still using Nvidia Control Panel…which is 20 years old and not set up for HDR and 32 bit colour. I’d totally failed to notice that Nvidia App does all the settings and more…and the minute I enabled 32 bit colour and dynamic range settings…all of a sudden black is truly dark and black on my PC and colours more pronounced…gone is that horrid sheen that left things looking washed out. And…the GPU temperature in EVE has fallen.
The moral of the story…anyone who’s still using Nvidia Control Panel on a 4K monitor…don’t. Use the System and Display settings in Nvidia App.
I run an RTX 5070 TI… Odd part is my monitor is 60 hertz and 10 years old at 1920 1080. I care about color quality and it’s so hard to find a monitor even near 120 HZ that can match anything in the black levels of what I currently have. I’ve tried to replace it three times and returned them. I need help tbh. HDR does look good for Eve.
Well…I’m now getting the blackest black I’ve seen on a monitor. Just watched some 8K HDR videos on my 4K monitor…amazing colour range and depth.
I presume you have Nvidia App…its an app for installing drivers, setting up parameters individually for every game you have ( it automatically lists all your games ), and for brightness, contrast, etc. Under System-Displays-Colour you can set dynamic range to full and colour to 32 bit…that did the trick for me. I’d already told Windows to use HDR…but in Nvidia App you can tell it to use HDR settings for non-HDR apps, and EVE is not actually an HDR app…but HDR works very well on it.
Your image shows precisely what I was getting…the washed out ‘black’ on the left, which washes our all the other colours too. Its now even better than your image on the right. Black is completely black…there’s none of that luminescent ‘sheen’ over everything.
Back in January the start button on my PC became dodgy. I hurriedly bought an RTX 4060 gaming PC…but the following day I fixed the 3060. So, the 4060 is sitting there un-used for 9 months now. I love keeping old things going and in any case the 3060 is not even 4 years old yet.
I’m using a 32 inch Philips 4K monitor. Was only £200…only does 60hz. I’ve never understood the need for mega refresh rates. In fact in some apps, like Second Life, I actually turn down the fps to 30 and barely notice any difference. I mean, the average film is 24 fps and nobody notices the individual frames.
@Gloria_Exercitus Glo I’m new with monitors but I’m going to save the information you gave and look into it to because you seem pretty happy with what you have now.
You know the way I understand monitors is basically thinking of the pixel in physical existence. As far as I can tell the deeper the color in the cell the longer it takes to change the color. I think it’s FPS shooters that should care about frame rates. And I think that somehow physically that means you can’t do both at the same time. Basically everything at Best buy is just made for call of duty with a high refresh rate on numbers that would intrigue those kind of gamers. It also happens to be the cheapest product they could put out… Kind of like McDonald’s.
Well…I don’t see the point in 140 fps when it takes longer than 1/140th of a second for a signal to go from brain to arm to click the mouse. I’ve never understood the obsession with fps. I think its more a bragging thing than anything genuinely useful.
The only time I ever noticed the refresh rate is like let’s say you’re playing cyberpunk and you look from left to right very quickly. We don’t do that in Eve. It would definitely matter if you’re playing Counter-Strike and people are coming out from behind the corner. FPS and ping.
Same. I run the streets and do side things. That game has improved so much. The Liberty City fights where your character is fighting like pretty much bosses… That’s good content. I play with a Fenrir SMG and some contagan. Toss some aoe and rush em lol.