EVE Launcher wont start after a fresh install of 18.04

That’s right. You can spare this trouble in the future, if you use my launcher setup package. It has Snorlax launcher inside with an wrapper script and desktop launchers which makes these checks for the symlinks every time, when you start it.

Just have a look in the *.run file which can you extract with

sudo ./evesetup-1225328-1-x86_64.run --keep --noexec

if you want to see whats inside. But if you are not interested on the installers interna an

./evesetup-1225328-1-x86_64.run --list

will do. :slight_smile:

Yeah but i like to fix problems by myself if i can, i also try to avoid running as root scripts from somebody i don’t know

1 Like

My script was build with makeself. Maybe you should read the man-page from this software so you can see, why root are needed and that is nothing there what harms your system.
Or have a look on the website: Makeself

And btw you dont know Snorlax personaly but trust him enough to install software from him.

You don’t know Amazon personally but trust them enough to give them your credit card information. Based on your logic should you be giving it to anyone.

Seems @tutan is merely being careful. You want to check your logic when you want to inspire trust in others.

Hmm ok, you made a point on this. The question is, where trust begins and where it ends. I dont know, why makeself need root permissions to only extract his contents and not execute the setup-script. I can change the setup that its only installs in users home so that are root permissions not needed anymore, but it makes no sense if i cannot install the package systemwide for all users and anyone on the system must install for itself. So where is the right way?

That’s where your own trust comes in. You need trust others to find trust in you. Just keep doing what you’re doing. Only don’t try to talk them into it.

Ok, next time i let him try himself to find the solution for his problems. (I’m a little p*ssed)

Doesn’t matter what you use to make the script, only matters the code itself you made with it. I could check the code by myself but is easier and faster for me to simply run 3 commands in console and problem fixed.

I don’t know Snorlax but he works for CCP, the guys who make the game itself so i run their software everyday and i HAVE TO trust them if i want to play the game. Also their software don’t ask me to run anything as root.

Ok selfmademan then ask next time not for solutions, when you want to solve it yourself.
And the solution for your problem stays right in this thread you must only read from the beginning.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.