Eve Online Astronomy Club

But do you know for certain the little bastards with tentacles squiggling down the street didnt see Jimmy Carter, stuck a tentacle up his nose and said ‘Let there be long life in this man?’

Could be a reflection of the light photon against Dark Matter. Not certain how light would reflect against matter though.

It seems that the event (firing a photon into a cloud of cold atoms) hadn’t been carried out yet, but the same photon was still recorded leaving the cloud of cold atoms before it had even been fired into the cloud.

I’m still baffled.

The arrow of time goes one way, so…the photon would need to be first fired into the cloud in order for it to leave the cloud. I’m so confused I’m not even sure exactly what I’m asking lol.

1 Like
1 Like

Could there some sort of gravitational lensing that takes place that actually transfers a portion of the light, ahead of it?

Does the photon lose any energy when in the presence of cold atoms when compared to not being in the presence of cold atoms?

Cold normally draws the heat out, could cold atoms draw the heat being generated by the atom away and project the heat on the other side?

Does the light and heat that is being projected by the cold atoms register as a temperature?

I don’t understand.

I don’t understand this either, but I’m like this cat after watching:

2 Likes

The takeaway is that the effect doesn’t alters the passage of time. “Negative time” is a manner of speaking about a weird effect when light is absorbed and emitted back by atoms. It is related with what phsycists cal a “photon” in experiments, which is a package of many individual frequencies, and the speed of that package is measured as the distance between peaks of energy. But then some mediums will emit some frequencies faster than others causing an outgoing peak that shows up before the average peak has had time to exit the medium -which can be interpreted as the peak having been delayed negatively (instead of slower, it’s gone faster) but doesn’t really matters because the whole average of the packet will just behave as properly. Mind you, a photon is a single entity and once interacted with, it’s gone -so we need hordes of photons to measure how photons behave by culling a few from the herd at each interaction point.

3 Likes

So basically, the front edge of the photon is being detected before the actual photon is detected. Much like the shock wave a nuke is felt before the main blast.

1 Like

Now I understand. Thanks for the both explanations.

1 Like

We can’t have a convo about Astronomy without Brian Cox, he has a new series about the solar system on the BBC in the UK.

Brian Cox - Solar System - Episode 1-1

Same old rinse and repeat solar system science.

Nope, this first episode he is talking about Volcano’s on mars and how the energy at the core of a planet was initially generated and stored/released. He visit’s Iceland in this episode which is partly why I posted it here.

Mars+Iceland+volcanos? Then surely he will talk about pseudocraters, aka rootless cones.

Iceland: so freak it sports a type of geological feature only found elsewhere on the planet Mars.
Mars: so freak it sports a type of geological feature created by the interaction of lava and water only found elsewhere on Iceland.

In compliant English.

Repeating old facts is not science.

Actually it is, children aren’t born with this knowledge and would need to be taught it. So yes repeating the same thing every year is science.

But isn’t ‘the same thing’ not really science based on its generalist approach?

I don’t know what you’re on about, the study of the solar system will always be science. You only see this subject from your perspective only and don’t seem to understand this info would be very useful to young people who haven’t yet studied as much as you have.

A generalist approach can be a good thing, I used to program databases and found that my knowledge of how hardware works helped me program some good apps. So for me it wasn’t just about learning to program it was also about understanding the platform which my programs would “sit upon”.

The generalist approach in Brian Cox’s TV show can help people gain an understanding of how so much energy came to be stored in a planets core which should then give them an understanding of what they are seeing when a volcano errupts in Spain. Also this is a TV show where the goal is to entertain as well as educate. I like this type of show and it’s format and I have lots of respect for Brian Cox.

Nasa spacecraft receives signal from 290 million miles away | The Independent.