Eve Online game engine

Work on your writing issues. You did not talk about game-independant engine, just of

and said that [there are]

I tell you that this is false. There are as many game engine as there are games allowing to make mods.

I’m not stalking you, you are not worth it. Just pointing out your errors. So now you can try to make it say something else, this was still false.
There ARE game engines, which are each made for a specific type of game and so come with their graphical engine, their assets, etc.
if a game engine is too generic it is called … a programming language.

Breaking news

26 July 2018, London – CCP games, the company behind the deep and uniquely player-driven spaceship MMO game EVE Online, has confirmed that Unreal Engine 4 is the exclusive development tool for all of CCP Games’ currently unannounced projects. CCP’s commitment to Unreal stems from the engine’s stability, quick prototyping and the solid cross-platform support for both established and new hardware.

CCP’s development teams globally are taking advantage of the powerful and easy-to-use functionality of UE4, from fluid integration of third-party systems with plug-ins and modules to improved networking and cross-platform support. CCP’s game developers have jumped on board the exclusive use of UE4, specifically its Unreal Editor that leads the way in terms of lighting and rendering solutions, world composition, landscape sculpting and Blueprint prototyping.

I just remember a cool game, developed under UE by Epic Games, I had played long time ago - Bulletstorm. Try that short RPG. It’s a lot of fun and I’m curious how the future EVE will look like… I’d say that game have so many similarities to EVE :smiley:

Bulletstorm

How convenient to have this information come out right now after I started this thread! :smiley:

1 Like

As far as I know, Unreal Engine is a FPS engine. So this would typically only help you if you were developing a FPS type of game.

you forgot…

RPG/Sport/Fighting/Simulation/MMO and some more…

It changed a long time ago from just being a FPS engine. I mean Dreadnought is based on UE.

You can make any genre with UE. 2D, 3D, open world, RTS, FPS, racing games and even cut scenes. It’s a very powerful tool, albeit most people use it alongside other software such as 3DSMax and Blender.

Wow, the amount of ■■■■■■■■ and misinformation in this thread is making my head explode…

First off, a game engine consists of a graphics pipeline (rendering engine), physics engine and a sound engine. That’s it. All the other stuff that it can include (AI, inventory, networking, memory management, threading, …) are just gimmicks. They don’t have to be part of a game engine.

That used to be the case 30 years ago, but it hasn’t been the case for ages. Developing and maintaining an engine is expensive. And I mean really expensive. You can gain much more my taking a off-the-shelves engine (Cryengine, UE, Havoc, Leadwerks, …) and just writing custom code for the stuff you want to improve on, while using the rest.

Game engines are no longer tightly coupled with the games they’re developed for, because it makes no economic sense to do so. They’ve simply grown way too complex for that and you also don’t want a new hire having to spend 3 months figuring out how your engine works before he can get productive.

Game engines are frameworks, not games. They’re built to be reusable across games.

As already mentioned, CCP uses their in-house developed CARBON engine. It replaced the formerly used Trinity Engine, which in turn replaced the first engine they used (I think it was Trinity 1.0 and 2.0, but not entirely sure). But considering that CCP is constantly making adjustments and improvements, the CARBON engine they introduced with Incarna is light years away from the current state of the CARBON Engine.

2 Likes

I think you misunderstood me. I meant they are published with one game, whether because they are designed as a part of the game, or the game is designed as a PoC of the engine (softwares with PoC tend to get better sales …).
“Designed” is not meant as “limited to” here, on the opposite, it’s the basis. As I said, half life engine was designed for half life, and later used to make mods (and no, single player FPS ad competitive FPS are not the same game).

Everybody can use different terms for different things, but I have never called any of that a “game engine.”

For me the game engine is the specific logic for the game itself to run, devoid of graphics, sound, etc (I would have included physics there, but physics is actually needed for many games to run, so it can be core game).

Clueless amateurs like yourself can do that to make themselves look smart to the other clueless, but educated people tend to agree on a definition. You can of course ignore it and make your ■■■■■■■■ up as you go, but then nobody educated is going to take you serious, let alone waste any time on you.

3 Likes

I don’t understand the reason for the baseless insults and personal attacks.

Oh I can field that

1. Asking people to discuss something based on your definition rather than its meaning would be one reason.

2. This is EvE Forums, specifically GD would be a second.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.