[EVENT] Operation Starfall - Kahah

I am really not sure it is strategically sound to announce the time, place, and battle plan of your offensive well in advance.

And while that would be fine if this was just an op “for the lulz”, as the capsuleers like to say, looking for “big fites” as they like to say, this is meant to be a rescue operation, and you’re effectively endangering thousands unnecessarily.

Even if it succeeds, the number of slaves freed is likely going to be many volumes lower then it would have been had the assault been kept a surprise, if only because our dear Khanid friends now have ample time to speed up their purge to make damn sure there’s as little left for you to liberate as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, I would be very happy to see action being taken, no matter how delayed, and I am absolutely game for it, but geez.

Might I suggest hiring a military advisor?

2 Likes

Which is why sponsorship and deployment of mercenaries made it into Scope headlines, I’m sure. I am not the trailblazer, I’ve only increased the scale. Also, for all you know, this is the vanguard.

Are you applying for the position?

1 Like

Hey, I’m happy to do what I can. Consider that first post free advice in that case.

1 Like

No, on this one I’m with the slaver bitch. No one’s successfully dropping a freighter’s worth of anything planetside, especially announced ahead of time, unless the Khanid allow it before hand.

Some baseliner networks can surely get a few thousand people dirtside, and extract even more with the use of capsuleer infrastructure, but deploying full military forces beyond minor partisan saboteurs? Ain’t happenin’ bub.

There’s a reason I haven’t been dumping freighterload after freighterload of militants, marines, freedom fighters and armaments all over the Empire. It’s well within my financial capability, but it’s also utterly pointless because the moment you start scaling it up past “annoyance”, you invite a response from the nation involved, and them you can’t fuckin’ take on and win against, without your own at your back.

You could have the entirety of nullsec show up and even just one Empire could still fend them off.

Take that freighter somewhere else and do something reasonable with it. All you’ll do with this kind of exaggerated nonsense is force the nations to demonstrate exactly why they’re the ones in power, and why we capsuleers are not in charge.

2 Likes

If the Royal Khanid Navy wants to stop us, then I invite them to try.

1 Like

This is a special kind of stupid that I can’t argue with. Do do whatever you want, The adults have work to do.

2 Likes

Have “work to do” standing around and letting millions die, I understand your position entirely.

Just ask yourself, before you do something stupid… if this is something we could do, why do you think it hasn’t been done a thousand times over already?

5 Likes

Just keep in mind, if you do this… while it’s very unlikely for a freighter to get through air defenses, even if it succeeds in orbit, any battles could send debris across the planet. I’m not sure who that would hurt more.

2 Likes

With a large enough debris field, causing interference with Khanid early warning and orbital defense systems? I think it would hurt them more.

1 Like

Because this is Khanid Kingdom space, not the Empire. There’s an interesting fact that’s been discovered and it’s that members of the Tribal Liberation Force can fly freely through the Khanid Kingdom’s “high security” systems without provoking the rapid response indicative of “true” Amarr Empire space.

I believe she means ‘could send debris raining down on peoples’ heads in the kind of explosive fireballs that orbital detritus can be’, considering that unlike satellites and other infrastructure designed to burn up in re-entry, our ships are built from materials designed to withstand heat and pressure from things like railguns.

Are not the only ones involved, and you’re not the fellow with the biggest private army in-system who’d want to free some people.

1 Like

I’ve consulted with science experts on the probability of wreckage from space adversely affecting planetary populations and their response was that in civilizations with shield technology, the effects are likely to be minimal.

However, I believe that orbital defense early warning and targeting systems may have some difficulty with so much debris cluttering their sensors.

Then I invite you to join us! I do not claim to be the end, but one among the beginning.

Did they take into account that right now the only functioning defense shielding that’s been left turned on is the people actively shelling the other side with artillery? Because you know, artillery doesn’t do well against defensive shielding, and the people with the command access to those shields are the Khanids.

I’d be surprised if the Khanid Kingdom fitted their slave villages with shield generators.

Specifically, they said the effect would be “minimal.” Even the wreckage of the Elder Fleet above Mekhios is not responsible for more than several thousand lives, which, even if the same numbers were applied to Kahah, would be a drop in the bucket to the millions that have been summarily executed.

It is a grim calculus, but the potential for good outweighs these harms.

I do not think debating the feasibility of this operation in IGS is really going to matter much in the long run. Local conditions on a planet / low orbit are not the same everywhere on the planet. Planets are kind of big. And on this planet, things currently change change rapidly daily.

Personally, I’d give this very low chances of success, but as the original poster already stated, the aim of the operation is “to make a bold statement”. If in addition explosions in space follow, we’ll see it on the killboards. If it has an actual major effect on the ground, we’ll read it in the cluster-wide news. And if neither, well, there’s 37 posts in the thread already, so he’s getting on well on the statements part.

6 Likes

That wreckage did litter the atmosphere and destroy much of the planet itself. There are long-term costs that you don’t seem to be considering.

2 Likes

I’ll take that into consideration. However, the risk to the planet is well worth the potential lives we can save.