Eve's missing feature: Casual MOBA

That was a really good post to be honest.

So what I’m trying to get to is the desire of having a MOBA with the mechanics and tools of Eve Online.

The games you listed are very FPS style of game play, which is great, a lot of people love that. But imagine if people wanted Day of Defeat to expand the game mode a bit to add vehicles. So they come out with Day of Defeat Battlefield, a top down Real Time Strategy where you play on your favorite DoD style maps where you spawn units and vehicles and throw them at the enemy.

Valkyrie is a MOBA, but it’s not Eve Online, it’s a FPSimulation with stuff from Eve Online. You’re not arriving at a battlefield in a Vexor and deploying drones, you’re not trying to ECM enemies to help your friend get away, you’re a fighter pilot flying around a battlefield. It’s a different game in the Eve Online universe.

It’s a cool concept, really it is.

Makes me wonder if you’re oblivious to CCPs changes and business decisions over the last few years. They aren’t quite there yet, but they’re directly heading into that direction.

No they arent. We dont have fast travel, we dont have “mission queue” at the click of a button, we dont have magically moving assets or certain areas where PVP takes place/isnt allowed.
Eve is renowned for NOT pointing players in a specific direction, but instead give tools to do what you want. You arent forced to do “quests” in a certain area before moving to another, you arent gimped by stuff like “best in slot item” or skills that you must have to survive pvp against others.
If players decide to be F1 monkeys, so be it, but CCP didnt force them to be that, they chose to be it.

Eve is one of the few placed left in the world of MMO, where you can do what ever you want, when ever you want, without having to go trough the same leveling process on all characters, doing the same quests, in the same areas, over and over again.
Its also one of the ONLY mmo’s that rewards you, even though you havent played in a long time, due to the way training is handled. Eve is only a grind if you want it to be, all other MMO’s require grind to get to “end game”.

As regular events this would be okay. As part of the open world, always accessible, it wouldn’t. It would destroy emergent content aka people roaming to find fights. they would start flocking towards these arenas looking for “fair fights”, leaving everyone else who is looking for actual ship dombat pretty much dead in the water.

Not considering the long term consequences on player behaviour is bad.

1 Like

maybe for to make it a regular event they could code it as open world stem yet only available once in a while.
something like the sansha incursions just dev triggered at a specific date.

in so far they wouldn’t have the hassle of reconfigurating the server.

so much on technical and organisationable aspect. okay three hours valkyrie and i still lose against bot due to steering behaviour … this crys for a please reinvestigate mouse controll dear dev request.

This should absolutely be a separate game, if you’re desperate to have a MOBA.

Some good ideas here, but something I want to really point out is how right Eve isn’t a WoW killer. WoW stole back it’s player base by stealing copycat games that took it’s player base. Eve doesn’t have instant ques and it’s not easy. It takes real maturity to play and you can’t be stupid.

CCP has been coming out with smaller events to liven up the game play, and help new players. The Agency makes it far easier to find stuff to do, and lifeblood is a kind of fresh PvE entertainment.

Albion Online is gearing up and it’s trying to take Eve’s idea into a new place, fantasy. Gotta admit, RPing in Eve is kind of frustrating, female players tend to be the core of RPing communities and most of Eve’s base are males 25+. My GF likes the stories from Eve, and it’s decision based game play, but we had more fun playing League of Legends than the time we played Eve together. Hell my mother was a pirate for 2 years here.

I’m here because I want Eve stay around. I hate the asymmetry of ships and I wish it would take some ideas from Star Trek Online with crews etc. I get that it wont.

Other devs are watching Eve Online. Albion Online will have more variety of play from PvE and PvP and do exactly what Eve Online does with a sandbox world of cut throat PvP.

I want people to come to Eve. I keep reading by Eve players that I should just leave Eve.
That doesn’t make sense to me, but, I may very well do so.

If you aren’t willing to make use of Eve’s mechanics, tools and systems to organize a MOBA league and put in the work required to get people to participate, then you are probably better off playing something else.

Clearly, you haven’t really dip your toes into the RP scene of this game. Female or male isn’t anything we really care about. What we do give a lot of damns about is whether or not you are breaking the setting’s lore. That’s what usually gets us screeching.

thanks for the info on Albion online will try that out inbetween as trial. community reacts conservative is perhaps a better description.

to an extend it boils down to something akin to a mindset of quality - types of player - and quantity - numbers of player.

quality arguments are based on the idea that if certain elements of the game are polished further than the communit is going to evolve, also it will promote a specific type of players leading to more stories about ehat’s great in a game, this is going to attract further customers.

quantity arguments foremost see a reason for more players and thus are looking on the game market to other sucess stories in form of high subscription or player number ideas range from easening the game at entry level to removing seemingly detrimental factors to various game styles the focal point is to raise the numbers of players over a large number of styles.

there is a fear embedded into each logic. that the game will end up with low subscribers and be abandoned by the producer.
only the reason for the fear is watering down the gameplay on the one side on the other side it’s the assumed lack of appeal for gamers.

(latter quantity apears in your post pointing at albion online.)
(quality appears in elmund’s post as he points at watering down the realism)

If someone wonders about the definitions i apply quality in the sense of being a type awaited.(imho an mmorpg has quality of surrounding genre, storyline genre, graphical appeal, game expirience, conflict genre)
quantity is raw numbers.

so it boils down to the view of quality leads to quantity(I fish in waters where only big fishes are or throw away small fish) or other around quantity brings quality(I take all fish and may feed them to big fish)

former fandom may narrow the development option to a small set (more pvp less flight is healthy) latter may lead to a guidance game (feeding the experience this seems to be the case in SWTOR) in both cases both sides may have sacrificed the sandbox.

more players dont mean more that come on for 5 mins and do the same thing over and over, and eve would still make them lose their ships. DUST was a Call of Duty clone with gear loss, which made it highly annoying when you spawn in and an airship is camping the main spawn points landing on you.

we dont want another cancer just because it attracts people, Alpha clones was enough because eve is a thinking game when you get past the surface and some people i encounter ask the same basic questions every day because theres no spark going between the few brain cells they have.

1 Like

There are three problems with Dust. The first is that it’s released for a console that’s nearing the end of its life cycle. The second is that it’s a lobby shooter. The third is that it did not capitalise on its ‘cross-game interaction’ and leave that as a gimmick.

If Dust is a large-expanse large battles experience with PVP and PVE components (shoot rogue drones, fight off Sansha Incursion on the ground and fighting in Sansha deployables in space to give massive buffs for Eve players while Eve players can reduce Dust respawn timers by killing enough enemies in space to clear the way for dropships) extremely close links to Eve Online (beyond just orbital bombardment) and isn’t released for the PS3, things would have turned out different.

All right, so the one thing that makes Battle Arenas accessible is the ability to play without loss. It’s a challenge where contestants are more or less equal footing and decisions matter, gaining advantages and playing the field to eventually defeat the opponent. If the cost is too high, it’s not repeatable.

It would require some work with the Devs and mission maker to manufacture what I talked about for a battle arena.

So, with the tools we currently have, how can we create an easy to get into and operate battleground to pit teams against teams, and capture the intensity of a game like League of Legends?

Some rules to bring down cost
Once in hull, cease combat and retreat to base
X number Refs able to shut down deployed turret systems, or players acting like turrets
X number of players acting like neutral mobs
Resource war, players fight over a territory to mine x amount of ore
Loot Drops, when players fight a volunteer “mob” At hull loot is dropped to equip back at base
The flagship just needs to be something durable, or a command ship

i’m happy that there are people who seek fair fights, because that means people who actually understand how nature works, who still have a survival instinct, with actual skills, tooth and claws will always have easy prey to feast on.

4 Likes

imho mobas are about tactical kill speed, level fastest get good gear combination and ensure that enemy has more time to ressurect than to level. fair is far away.

well there are some combat modes from valkery, star conflict they can think about introducing. or already exist in eve.

hold beacon
place a bomb at beacon
deplet spawn recources
corrupt beacons in own favour to deplet enemy shield.
collect special icon.

Called alliance tournament bragging tag. If I am not mistaken, red vs blue does tournaments and EVE_NT does but on the latter I am not sure.

However, you may contact CCP at any time if you want to host such tournament and they may even give you the alliance tournament software for broadcasting it.

The game certainly needs a more active, and involved form of combat then is currently in it. Many efforts have been taken to make the PVE experience more interesting and more in parallel to the PVP experience. Now they need to start going the other way. A game I would look to is Titanfall, having creep waves, mixed in with the PVP can lead to interesting situations that require more thinking then the current game requires and would be a nice move away from the rock paper scissors mentality that is currently in the game. There is a serious argument to knowing that every character you are flying against is a human, but there is also an amazing feeling of stakes that having tears of enemies in a PvP experience.

You mean like FOB and the other changes they’re already making to NPC behaviour?

1 Like

MOBA type games are aparently “Fun” but in the end, the only fun you have is when you can pick whatever you want and win. and that doesnt happen, people goes for the minmaxing mentality instead and pick the most cancerous characters thus messing the gameplay experience for you.

i dont get salty when someone instapops me during PvP in EVE. that just says that i wasnt prepared or the person had better equipment. i dont see any other capsuleer saying “GG EZ” or other 12 year old ■■■■ like that in local.

just a GF. even if it was a complete wreck. and that’s more than enough, its honorable and its something to respect (even if you use an ECM ship or have more people).

i would rather keep PvP as it is than seeing the toxicity of MOBA gameplay and community seeping into EVE like AIDS.

Yeea…FW can definitely use more active sieging by NPCs. Make it feel more like a war and less like faffing around buttons.

3 Likes

I am not sure what’s with all the naysayers in here, as we already have dueling requests with the ability to bet, why not Fleet Vrs Fleet duels with a cap on the fleet size to 5v5? If the system recognizes there are more then 5 people in each fleet the fleet duel request is grayed out.

Eve online is not eve online 2006 or 2008 or even 2012, it’s nearly 2018 and the game I remember when it had 60k people online, why the ■■■■ not add something fun?