[Excubitoris Chapter] Duty and Service to Amarr

I am suspicious of this thinking. It allows perpetual consolidation and expansion of power from EDENCOM and the capsuleer organizations that serve it, without any concrete purpose, in the name of a conflict that might happen at some vague point in the future.

3 Likes

The conflict is ongoing, its losses not regained, and threat undiminished.

3 Likes

On the last two, we agree. The nature of the current conflict and EDENCOM’s ongoing role is the controversial part.

That’s nice. Be suspicious of EDENCOM. Be suspicious of all who would claim authority over things. But recognize that ‘use it or lose it’ remains true in terms of operational capacity. People and resources do not exist in a static, unchanging state. People will find pursuits to occupy their time and they will get invested in those pursuits, leaving them less likely to simply drop them to return to the old habits. Resources get consumed.

Operational capability is the muscle tissue of any organization, and like muscles, it atrophies if not put to use. This is why peacetime militaries train with wargames, rather than just physical fitness and battlefield theory classes.

The conflict is still ongoing. Like any other fighting, it only ends when both sides stop. If any of the Big Four wants out of EDENCOM, all they have to do is pull out of CONCORD. I’m sure that’ll go over well.

Yes, you are not wrong about “use it or lose it”. It is the same thing I go through every year with selfish, unscrupulous department heads that seek to justify their own existence at the expense of the corporation at large. It is the wriggling desire for safety of a leech, the chirping of rat nested in the aft of a lower deck.

I’m not saying EDENCOM has reached that point, but your thinking reflects their sweating proclamations at quarterly budget meetings. Unlike those pests, EDENCOM is in a position of authority to oppress and terrorize if it ever exceeds its original charter.

The conflict is ongoing, very well. But I’ll ask the same question I ask the managers: what value can you can add next quarter? From an outsider’s perspective, there seems no route for the conflict to progress.

3 Likes

All these Capsuleers already had things to do before the Triglavian Invasions. Those things were set aside during the Triglavian invasions to protect our nations. At the time, our efforts had an impact on the outcome of battles. Consequently it made sense for us to set everything else aside, and I will regard those who did not do so with displeasure until the end of my days.

After the Triglavian Invasions were over, it made sense for people to set aside their own things to transport refugees, because this allowed us to help displaced people get somewhere where they could find work and housing, rather than remaining on space stations adjacent to the lost systems as beggars.

When the gates to Pochven opened, it made sense for people to set aside their own things to burn down all of the infrastructure the traitors possessed, because no evil deed should go unpunished.

Yet here we stand today, with no invasions left to thwart, no refugees left to transport, no structures left to burn, and no method to liberate the Pochven systems. Within the context of that scenario, it is a waste of time and resources to continue forming fleets without a purpose. That time could be better spent preparing for the day when we can take back our systems.

The idea that the operational capability of this combined force would vanish as in a children’s tale if the constituent capsuleers are not hit with a call to arms on a regular basis is insane. If they suddenly forget the skillsets required to perform their roles within the fleet they are incompetent. If they don’t show up when the systems can be liberated they are not loyal to their people. We need people who possess both of those qualities. This is before we consider that they could also take the initiative to gather resources for when they are needed, or otherwise hunt enemies in smallgangs or alone.

Not only would a temporary cessation give people time to recuperate and stockpile, it would also put a damper on this pointless bickering. Is the EDENCOM mandate being stretched for the sake of international co-operation? Maybe, not for me to decide or judge. Are the people who are complaining about joint ops over-reacting? Maybe, not for me to decide or judge. What I will say is that it is unpleasant and unnecessary to watch two groups of loyalists argue amongst themselves.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. But the other concerns and ‘things to do’ of capsuleers are not EDENCOM’s concern. That’s not something they care about, or even should care about. Their concern is operational readiness.

Yes, but no moreso than the rest of CONCORD. After all, it’s not like EDENCOM isn’t already an arm of an organization that can and will dispatch anyone, at any time, for whatever reason they feel is sufficient, without any means of appeal. Do something in highsec that CONCORD doesn’t like, they show up and blow you up, no questions asked or entertained. Do something in nullsec they particularly don’t like, and find yourself yanked via cynosural fishing pole, in effect, straight to Yulai to be murdered by the mob—a mob that, every year, includes capsuleers on this forum.

But sure. Worry about EDENCOM. Because they’re the ones most likely to abuse their authority, right?

The exact same thing all four empires’ navies add next quarter: Readiness. You don’t wait to train firefighters until there’s already a fire sucking up all the oxygen in your station. You don’t wait for someone to fall deathly ill before deciding ‘hey, we should teach someone to be a doctor’.

Threat response assets have to be prepared and maintained before you need them. Or they won’t be there when you do.

Nothing in this thread so far has been related to EDENCOM. This has thus far solely concerned loyalist capsuleers who are co-operating with the intention to support EDENCOM’s actions against the Triglavian Collective and the traitor capsuleers, attempting to explain their actions to their more skeptical compatriots.

CONCORD and EDENCOM are essentially the same thing, with the minor difference being that by creating a subsidiary and making the prosecution of the war their problem, CONCORD doesn’t have to bother with prosecuting all traitor capsuleers by means of a tribunal comprised of members from all member states.

I don’t buy into this rhetoric because it insinuates that all the groups who constitute Lux Invicta were somehow not ready to fight prior to all this. Some of these groups were founded before I went to secondary school. They would not have survived this long if they could not fend for themselves.

Except for the ways it’s all related to EDENCOM? I mean, the cooperation being called into question is in service of the Empire’s commitment to support EDENCOM. But setting that aside, even if you only look at the independent capsuleer angle, it is still very much in the interests of the leaders of the capsuleer groups that if they want to be able to support EDENCOM when the time comes for an effective counter-offensive, the cooperative efforts must be maintained, or the willingness and ability to muster them will wither.

They survived this long, in part, by doing the very thing you’re questioning them doing now: maintaining operational capabilities for future needs. This has just added one more capability to the list.

And before you get dismissive: that’s borne out by the operational history of those older groups. PIE, for example, is definitely the oldest, and there have been periods of PIE’s history over the last 13 years when no, they didn’t maintain operational capabilities, and their ability to muster them at need suffered. During those years, a lot of what kept them together, seen from the outside, and supplemented by accounts from the inside, was inertia. Large chunks of their upper echelons mostly taking up space, the lower echelons largely depleted, but hey, there’s no real operating costs to keeping the alliance existing on paper, right?

Capsuleer organizations can survive a long time on life support. And two of the biggest reasons PIE rebounded… have left PIE, in opposite directions.

1 Like

The solution to the idea of EDENCOM-aligned capsuleer readiness is simple: take EDENCOM operational doctrine into consideration and only mix fleets of the respective political alliance blocs. A pair of fully Amarr-Caldari and Gallente-Minmatar contingents that only coordinate when necessary would be far more powerful than the muddled, embittered mess we have now.

Seems no one is willing to consider that prospect, and I certainly am done putting any effort into it.

5 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. Reduce the potential allies in all possible situations by 50%, that’s got to be better than having Amarr flying with Gallente like Vektor, right?

I’m having trouble believing you put any into what’s already there.

Oh indeed; despite what many will say, I am invested in EDENCOM and its mission, but I have not put any work into the mockery that the Electus Matari and Khimi Harar coop represents. There was a time Vektor could have been convinced Khimi Harar was the ally to have, but instead their willing relinquishing of moral authority in the fight against hostile Matari entities has convinced him the Kybernauts are the more reliable enemy of our enemy. Go figure.

The exact same thing all four empires’ navies add next quarter: Readiness. You don’t wait to train firefighters until there’s already a fire sucking up all the oxygen in your station. You don’t wait for someone to fall deathly ill before deciding ‘hey, we should teach someone to be a doctor’.

I’ve been observing the brewing discontent as someone whose organization is caught in the middle, with what I consider valuable and valiant allies on both sides. I am a loyalist who wants nothing more than Caldari suns returned to their rightful place in the sky and the Triglavian menace crushed. In other words, I am exactly the kind of fence-sitter you should want to persuade.

If this was the whole truth, it would immediately and thoroughly convince me that the EM-LUMEN position was gravely in the wrong, and their detractors were totally right. Fortunately, I’m not convinced this is how the EDENCOM aligned capsuleer groups see what they’re doing, judging from other public statements.

Not only does this rub salt on the valid concerns from loyalists concerning expansion of EDENCOM power - it admits that, to put it bluntly, there is no plan. Nor can mere “readiness” justify fraternization with the enemy. An immediate threat, or clear mutual objectives might, but certainly not ‘readiness’.

1 Like

So Vektor prefers pliable flunkies, willing to support an invader that demands complete subservience, whose true agenda remains unknown to them, so long as they get shiny new toys, rather than people fighting to defend their homes? Color me shocked. Really.

I don’t want to persuade1 anyone. Frankly, I don’t care what you do. If you’re the sort of person who’ll decide to help when it’s needed, then that’s the decision you’ll make when the time comes, and I applaud that. If you’re the sort who won’t, then no words of mine will change your nature, and may the darkness between the stars take you.

There is never a plan, until there is a plan. Sometimes, the plan is biding one’s time and waiting for an opportunity for a counteroffensive. As that opportunity begins to come into focus, then more specific plans can be made, but until the opportunity begins to take shape, the most there can be is ‘plans’, and plans are not ‘a plan’.

Instead, you develop a large number of potential plans for scenarios that may develop. And you maintain the capability to execute those plans on short notice. But you don’t go telling people what those plans are, or advertising that you have them. Because let’s face it, if Shakor were to up and let the Empire know ‘we have a plan for how to liberate our people muahahah’ the Empire immediately begins espionage efforts to uncover the plan, and developing plans (multiple, you’ll note) for how to counter whatever plan the Republic has.

So no, there is no plan—no one plan, no singular plan to be preparing for. There are, by now, probably dozens of plans, and the preparation for enacting any one or two of them can only take the form of preparing to enact all of them… which means maintaining general readiness and operational capabilities.

And yet, that is the cornerstone of all of the military alliances in New Eden. Remember, the low-scale, simmering bloodsport of the ‘warzones’ is still, at just over 13 years, a relatively new development in New Eden, and only the capsuleer militias actually cooperate in one another’s warzones.

So what purpose, then, does the Caldari/Amarr mutual-defense pact serve, if not ‘readiness’? Oh, sure, you’ll say ‘but those aren’t fraternization with the enemy’. However, I’ll just point out that outside of the warzones, neither is anything else.

Outside of the CONCORD-enacted framework of the so-called ‘Faction Wars’, the Republic and Empire are not at war. They’re certainly not allies, but they’re not actually enemies. They’re neighbors, rivals, sometime trading partners (sometimes not), and partners in CONCORD. All four empires worked together against Sansha Kuvakei. All four investigated the Jove Observatories in their space. All four have agreed on everything that CONCORD has enacted, because if someone didn’t… then you bet your ass we’d have heard about the disagreements as ‘leaks’ from the Inner Circle, especially since the two voting blocs would, predictably, align according to their cosmopolitical alliances.

Why do you think, on the few matters of real, active conflict, CONCORD’s remained absolutely silent? It’s been more than 2 years since they started arguing over whether Arrach Sarum’s invasion of Floseswin IV was a violation of the CONCORD regs that established the warzones. Two years since the Empire started angrily yelling about how the Republic has no right not to give the Empire money and trade goods over it.

Two years, and nothing. You’d think five people could come to a decision in two friggin’ years, right? But obviously, the decision is ‘let’s not make a decision. It’ll all just become the new normal, and nobody has to actually decide anything’.

So every decision they have made? They all agree. They are partners. They may be rivals, but in terms of cosmopolitical stability and maintaining the status quo, they are all allies. And any talk of ‘fraternization with the enemy’ is just fools falling for the rhetorical claptrap that keeps them loyal pets, willing to kill themselves for a pat on the head by their masters.

1. All of this? This isn’t persuasion. It’s just discussion. I like to discuss things with people. There are some who’ll say I like to hear myself speak, but having listened to recordings of myself, I promise, I don’t like hearing it. I like doing it. I like to hear difference sides and approaches to a problem, and seeing if there’s a novel approach lurking someplace. But that takes other sides actually being presented, along with rational, reasoned support for those positions, rather than ‘because they’re BAD’.

Which, frankly, is all I’m really hearing from the anti-Lux position: ‘They’re bad. You’re helping these guys who are attacking us. I mean, they’re not actually currently attacking us, but they might attack us in the future when they’re not focusing on these guys who are currently occupying stolen Amarr systems!’

And no, that doesn’t apply in the reverse. Even if the TLF were to completely take the warzone, it wouldn’t apply. Warzone systems were selected for that purpose by the empires. IOW, the Amarr Empire consented to periodic Republic control of certain systems, as part of the structure of the warzone arrangement they established, along with the other CONCORD powers.

The Empire agreed to it. Which means that by extension, they agreed to the possibility of periodic Republic gains, knowing none of those gains are permanent. And all of Vektor and Newelle’s pissyness doesn’t change that.

1 Like

This is extremely limited strategic thinking. It would have us sit on our hands and wait on the defensive while they prepare their next attack.

Our goal, barring a peace treaty, must be to win the war with the Clades and utterly eliminate the ability of the Triglavians to ever regardless of whether we can unweave Pochven.

Pochven needs to burn. The Abyss needs to burn. The war has not ended until we have eliminated the threat of continued invasion.

We must keep building capabilities, engaging in recon operations, supporting resistance, and supporting the active Amarr fleets in Pochven.

And we must diversify our options for fighting the war. Waiting on a single technology to fight it again on their terms is insane. We must plan for the scenario where the Abyss and Pochven are here to stay, as well as the scenario in which it can be undone.

Remember Raravoss.

10 Likes

This is not an accurate understanding of PIEs internal dynamics.

1 Like

Almost all of you seem to forget one thing: EDENCOM exists, it operates in Pochven, it’s supported by the four nations, and capsuleer support has been called for.

Don’t like it?

Well I don’t like it that the Amarr Empire exists. Or the Angel Cartel. Or the Convocation of Triglavians. None of them seem to be very bothered by this.

Join them, fight them, ignore them; your call. But they’re still gonna exist, and they’re still gonna do what they want to.

4 Likes

From the accounts I have from current and former members alike, I disagree.

On your organization’s goals, and on the value of ‘readiness’ etc, I think we have reached the end of possible discussion.

On the MWPA conflict, I would like to say a few things to you.

Firstly, there is no relevance to the situation lasting 13 years. The last time my people fought the Gallente, it lasted over a hundred before the stalemate was ended by a brokered peace. Interstellar Wars are historically long, bloody affairs. Some modern hiccups in the post-CONCORD era might lead someone to expect them to be short, such as the YC115 lightning campaign for Caldari Prime, but even in the case of Sansha the war is ongoing.

I expect to experience cloning failure before this fight is over. Your implication is strange. If you expect it to be short, it is only because some abnormally limited modern conflicts have turned your liver lily-white.

Secondly, unlike your take on the current situation in Pochven, the MWPA warzone has direct relevance on the lives of trillions. It affects voting franchise in the Federation and earnings reports in the State. It affects who is a slave and who is killed by mobs. It affects ongoing planetside conflicts and news headlines. It affects the lives and political realities of countless people every time a system “flips”.

On the political mess surrounding the conflict: Every time I see you discuss this with a member of any militia, you patronizingly assume that the person is either ignorant of the political situation, or else a jingoistic simpleton. There are some greenhorns who match that description, but most capsuleers - and every egger who spends more than a month in the warzone - is aware that the MWPA conference was ended with a handshake. Nowhere will you find the temptation for diplomacy with the enemy militia more strong than among weary veterans in the warzone. The history of militia treaties is checkered and long.

This does not make it any less a war because it is a limited one. The whole point of the MWPA conference was to “civilize” the Great Game between the empires. This has largely succeeded. This does not make the Empires into allies. You can only hold that opinion because you stay very far from the fighting, secure in your knowledge that it will not affect your Amarrian cocktail party, with an upturned sneer at the millions dying very far away.

3 Likes

Then the authors of those accounts value individualistic building of personal legends over the work it takes to build an organisation.

2 Likes