Faction Gun Question

Is there any specific reason Faction Turrets/Launchers can’t use T2 Ammo? Aren’t faction modules in general be supposed to be at least as powerful as their T2 counterparts? As far as I know they normally have either small advantages in fitting tf/MW while yielding the same results or being more powerful for higher fitting cost.

That being said, I suppose faction guns also don’t profit from the Specialization Skills?

1 Like

Nope they don’t.

I seem to remember a Dev (@CCP_Fozzie) mentioning on the fanfest stream I think that they are considering allowing Faction weapons to use t2 ammo, but they still would not get the benefit of the spec skills.

1 Like

perhaps faction guns should have a bonus too faction ammo instead

5 Likes

Hm interesting. Right now T2 Ammo requires the Spec Skills too, but maybe they can easily change that. I guess it makes sense in regards to other faction modules not requiring us to have their skill at T2 level. Still kind of messy the whole thing.

They already get an 4-5% higher Damage Modifier than T2, but that is easily outweighed by properly trained Specs.

A faction ammo damage bonus would be good for projectiles while allowing t2 without boni might be interesting for some hybrids/lasers. Overall I think these guns are in a weird place; some of many rarely if ever used modules.

1 Like

responding quickly after scanning…you don’t have skills to use t2 guns…which are required to use t2 ammo.

1 Like

I don’t really understand what you mean.

On all other class of modules (e.g. shield extenders, armor repairers, energy neutralizers, ecm …) you have one or more skills influencing the stats of the entire module class, so equally for t1, t2, faction.

All turrets, launchers and damage drones on the other hand have a special skill which further increase the damage output of T2 versions. I just realized that I should count Drones as well, even though they’re not a module.

Faction T1 Drones give quite a meaningful advantage over using T1 whereas using faction guns seems a rare choice at best, as their stats don’t offer much advantage over Meta 4 guns and in many cases even some disadvantage in fitting requirements, making them barely usable for new, non-T2 players.
Unless you have the rare case of someone training Advanced Weapon Upgrades to V before getting into T2 guns.

1 Like

Either way I answered your question. Check the attributes on t2 guns and you’ll see only they are included as being able to use t2 ammo.
Scripts are inapplicable and boost charges.

With faction ammo you often get better tracking. Why most gallente pilots carry Calder navy antimatter and void. The higher price of faction ammo is to encourage t2 ammo usage also.

1 Like

I didn’t ask if they can use T2 Ammo, but if there is a reason they cannot. But you are right, they can’t.

Maybe I should have said: I believe faction guns need a buff, even a slight one, but I wasn’t and I’m still not sure if that is really the case.

3 Likes

that’s the question I answered and expanded upon

1 Like

Ah okay, I didn’t think “missing skills” is a reason someone would reply. It is common knowlegde that you need Spec Skills to use T2 Ammo, but of course what you say is correct. I meant more along the lines of: has there been any historic argument which lead to the decision to make Faction guns T1 and not T2, like with Drones you have Faction T1 (Imperial Navy Acolyte etc.) and Faction T2 (‘Augmented’). For some turrets/launchers you have these Polarized T2 versions, but not for all of them, and in general their use is very limited to specific szenarios.

1 Like

They were meant to be in-line with t2 modules…yet much more expensive…so it was an incentive to train t2 mods. It’s just hardly anyone uses the guns unless they provide a pg or cpu advantage with tight fits.

1 Like

Interesting. Do you remember when they were introduced resp. last touched by CCP?

1 Like

Again in the long past as I’m a returning player, most storyline or faction items are used for fitting issues. A non-gun related one would be syndicate 1600mm plates I’ve noticed…they open huge fitting opportunities at 90 mill each…I say dig in and train t2 guns…it’s a long haul and you wont care much after it’s done…but you’ll have t2 ammo at your disposal.
The faction ECM jammers don’t have as much jam strength as t2…but much more expensive. It’s just encouraging you to train, train, train…and then train.

1 Like

Yeah but 1600mm plates are a good example how guns don’t work. Syndicate/Fed Navy/Imp Navy are equal or better than the T2 version in all relevant stats (apart from Imp Navy being powergrid-hungry).

T2 guns are okay and I use them like everyone else who can, but what about the player who wants to bling ships out once in a while? Droneboats have their ‘Augmented’ Drone option - for a price of 60 to 450M for a set of 5. They don’t come with any disadvantage other than their price (unless you count 2 damage types instead of 1 as a disadvantage, it’s situational).

For example: Berserker
Both the Republic Fleet Berserker and the ‘Augmented’ Berserker have way more HP than Berserker II.
RF (T1) also has better tracking, while ‘Augmented’ is faster and provides way more damage. RF Berserker does less damage if the Minmatar Drone Spec is properly trained up.

So why not give Faction guns a few more advantages? They are pretty expensive and would not be for everyday use, but better than now: no use at all. New players can’t afford them anyway in the current state.

1 Like

The augmented drones damage multiplier difference is not worth the price better off with the navy versions. Its like the storyline probes at 15 mill each, you get +1 to base sensor strength over sisters probes…in eve a few percent drives up the price astronomically.
Maybe officer guns do more dps…if u have 10 bill to fit guns on a frig…It’s the damage multipliers that count under attributes and your skills.
The syndicate plate is unique in that it uses as much pg as a tungsten with same hp as imp navy+ less mass.

1 Like

Augmented Drones give a pretty substantial damage bonus over T2 and Faction drones.
10% to be exact. Plus more HP and higher Speed. For some solo/small gang situations they are used regularly.

4 Likes

The math doesn’t work out. People will shoot those drones just cuz you have them also. Killing people’s geckos is a real kick in the teeth for example.

Navy drones offer the same damage multiplier as t2, same in all regards…just 6-8x the price. You would get the same damage from navy drones if you had full t2 skills…If you wanna pay a ridiculous price for 10% of a drones damage increase…by all means.

The people finding the augmented bpc’s in the sites in drone space will love you for stuffing their pockets.

1 Like

Unless you have a ship with bonus to Drone EHP…

Not true. Navy Drones don’t get the Amarr/Caldari/Gallente/Minmatar Drone Spec Damage boni.
Test it, if you don’t believe me.

A Gila with all LVL 5 Skills and 2 DDA II gets the following DPS with

• 2 x Fed Navy Hammerhead => 491 DPS
  • 2 x Hammerhead II => 540 DPS
  • 2 x ‘Augemented’ Hammerhead => 594 DPS

The ‘Augmented’ Drones get somewhere upwards of 10k EHP on the Gila, have fun shooting them…

3 Likes

Give over man, if you want to pay an absurd price for a negligible difference by all means.
People who have isk to throw around use them all the time. The augmented drones shot up in price considerably. But again, make your own choice.
I’m only trying to help.

1 Like

Faction guns need a real buff, I wouldnt even consider them if they were the same price as tech 2 guns.
The burn up too fast during overheat, and less ammo options.

3 Likes