Fake Perimeter Tranquility Trading Tower - 50% brokers fee

Friendly Warning.
There’s a fake market operating in the Perimeter that looks the same as the Tranquility Trading Tower, but has a 50% brokers fee!
It’s hard to notice. This shouldn’t be allowed/possible.

Station name: Perimeter - TranquiIity Trading Tower (Market Update Not Good)
Displayed location under buy/sell orders is the same for both stations - it’s impossible to differentiate while creating a buy order (select top order, right click, Place Buy Order) from Jita, unless you check the brokers fee.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.31.23 PM

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.45.10 PM
The courier contract source/destination look exactly the same. There’s no way to tell the difference unless you manually check it.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 5.59.37 PM

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 11.32.30 PM

4 Likes

Smart. Potentially “illegal”, but smart.

2 Likes

I doubt CCP will interfere - TEST will no doubt punish them for their impudence. I agree it’s an interesting new scam and likely quite profitable as long as it lasts.

5 Likes

Interesting, how did they make the rest of the name not appear? Sure it’s not test itself trying to get some extra funds? It’s illegal if not though as impersonation is a banable offense since a couple years.

Yeah, but a named structure isn’t actually impersonating anyone. As long as the owners, when asked, deny that they’re from that group, they should be fine. Still, when everyone starts doing it, it might turn into a problem?

2 Likes

If they don’t, I’m sure that the support team will have a blast explaining why two completely different stations have the same name, and why one of them ate their money.
I hope that we’ll get an official response here if this is intended behavior, or if this is a bug.

1 Like

The tricks could be linked to the length of the name you put .
something like "Perimeter Trade Hub insert_spaces whatever you want "
The display of the string could be limited at certain number of characters ( < 32 could be 256 :smiley: ) .

2 Likes

I don’t think structure names are unique, you can call your structure (or your ship) anything you want. People will need to pay attention or pay the price for inattention!

1 Like

This is not new. Dozens of scammers have previously used the same name to scam with courier contracts - only way to differentiate was to copy both structures into chat and compare the ID’s when the message was pasted into notepad (out of game).

CCP’s reaction to this issue will be a force rename of the structure at most, as they have done with every case before for years.

1 Like

The fact that OP put all this trouble into the post tells me that he FELL FOR IT :rofl:

4 Likes

“No good deed goes unpunished.”

Someone put a lot of work into this and you outed them, that is not a good deed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

its actually peititonable. (and has been)

we know because when we anchored a fort in O3-4 and named it the same thing as the keepstar we got a warning and told not to do it again.

4 Likes

Appending the station owner ticker before or after the name would solve a lot of issues.
Would revert the policing to alliance/corps

2 Likes

Update:
The Station name is actually different. Letter i is capitalized in “Tranqui l ity”, but there’s no way to tell the difference by looking at the font.
The search for " tranquii " returns that station. The client automatically reformats the text after search, which makes it impossible to tell the difference afterwards.

1 Like

As the elusive CSM has stated, put a petition in on it.

2 Likes

well, that’s sneaky! And hilarious.
Honestly, I think all it shows is that CCP need to look at using a serif typeface in the UI, at least in places where l (little L) and I (big i) are practically impossible to tell apart where being able to tell them apart would be kind of handy, this would immediately end sans name counterfeiting.

I want to be in on that killmail and may need to sit in stealth until the time is right to pew pew

Pending war by Perimeter Police Department

CCP should deffinetly look into this. I shouldn’t have to visit each station to verify it’s identity.

i like it , eve needs new scams, hipernet is such an old meme