Fallout of CCP's reduced investment in VR

Guess someone valued these people. That being said, I believe that CCP screwed up jumping into the VR market too soon. The tech is simply not there yet, cost and comfort wise.

The problem isn’t the tech. The problem is the meat. There are certain aspects of human perception that are fundamentally incompatible with the ambition of VR. The only way it will ever work as envisioned would require users be on mind altering drugs. Otherwise, the only use for the technology is more passive entertainment, like videos and rail shooters.

The new buyer is going to learn the same lesson everyone else in the industry is learning, and the medium will continue to go nowhere.

Or VR implants.

1 Like

A problem with consumer VR is it doesn’t involve all the senses - there is a disconnect between what you see and what you feel. Military/Industrial simulators can involve all the senses but that technology isn’t going to fit in a consumer budget anytime soon.

We’ve been here before in the early days of 3d graphics and the answer was arcades.

1 Like

Inability to see your keyboard is a huge part of its current failure, imo.

Something like this would be better, with in-VR UI, but youd need to buy more peripherals.

The problem IS the tech, or rather our inability to make the better tech. The problem isnt your body. Your body is defined by environment in which it lives, from womb to the grave. Humans can only replace the environment, also with ingerention to the body, but its a very problematic as you have to know so much about your body to make devices that are compatible with it on nanometres level of detail.

There are defficiences of human knowledge now that are fundamentally prohibiting the ambitious VR project. The only way it will ever work as envisioned would require computer direct connection to brain, omitting current sensory imput, replacing it with simulation feed. A true brain-computer interface, BCI.

What defines you is your brain and it is special in each case as there is information stored in it surrounded by skull, by sensory organs, by environment. Brain is an organ itself and it needs nutrients as well as sensory input. Just simulating environment and directly influencing brain is the way to go. But its also something what is outside of the scope of tech companies producing gaming gear, its a scope of science and medicine, costs are prohibitive, there are ethical problems in case when we integrate something artificial with organ that stores YOU and intelectual effort is greater than strapping some small projectors to the face.

Here’s some terrible games to work on, but at least its work.

Anyone that’s tried VR will tell you it’s not comfortable, it doesn’t lend well to gaming as we currently know it. as a viewing platform it’s amazing, but interaction is a huge problem, can’t see keyboard, can’t see drink, can’t see ashtray, can’t see second screen. the list goes on and on.

one day we’ll all see true VR, right now, it’s more gimmick when it comes to gaming, hell i know people that invested into it only to find it makes them sick to use it for more than 20 minutes.

I think it was a good thing for CCP to invest into it for what it was, failure isn’t a bad teacher and that depends if you think it was even a failed venture, i don’t, they learned something from it.

There were devs leaving CCP for Riot Games in the past. Currently its Sumo digital, the company that makes shooter Nova for CCP.

I think that if they will not have to listen to Hilmar so much, it will be to better than before. He should just practice yoga on top of the mountain and take his share of money, staying away from development, having good people manage things.

1 Like

I used to play it. It’s fun in the beginning, but there is no solid storyline to it. You keep on doing the same ■■■■ all over again, the ship customization is as creative as farting in an elevator full of people. The failure was not the tech, the failure is the fact that the joy and fun quickly vanishes and you’re left with wanking around doing the same thing over and over again.

VR is a lemon. There is no mass market for it, not until it literally is virtual reality and beamed right into the brain like the matrix.

But they will be back again in a few years, when the glasses are slightly smaller or something, saying “now the tech is finally ready”. And it will fail. Again.

Nana SkaIski1h mkint
The problem IS the tech, or rather our inability to make the better tech. The problem isnt your body. Your body is defined by environment in which it lives, from womb to the grave. Humans can only replace the environment, also with ingerention to the body, but its a very problematic as you have to know so much about your body to make devices that are compatible with it on nanometres level of detail.

There are defficiences of human knowledge now that are fundamentally prohibiting the ambitious VR project. The only way it will ever work as envisioned would require computer direct connection to brain, omitting current sensory imput, replacing it with simulation feed. A true brain-computer interface, BCI.

What defines you is your brain and it is special in each case as there is information stored in it surrounded by skull, by sensory organs, by environment. Brain is an organ itself and it needs nutrients as well as sensory input. Just simulating environment and directly influencing brain is the way to go. But its also something what is outside of the scope of tech companies producing gaming gear, its a scope of science and medicine, costs are prohibitive, there are ethical problems in case when we integrate something artificial with organ that stores YOU and intelectual effort is greater than strapping some small projectors to the face.

Just FYI, Elon Musk is working on that. I forgot the name and direct info, easy to google if you’re curious though, but basically one of his companies is working on input and output signals between machines (specialized chips) and human nervous system. Personally I am very much not looking forward to be one of the early models “guinea pigs” for that. The current VR gives me migranes over prolonged use, I wonder what will happen to people when a chip shorts out directly to their nervous systems…

1 Like

Sansha.

5 Likes

hahahahahaha so true

I think you’re referring to Neuralink.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure to get mind machine interfaces to work (and thus VR as idealized) it’s going to require some mind altering drugs. LSD, for instance, makes the brain connect disparate parts that normally don’t activate at the same time. That’s where some of the supposed genius effects of acid come from (connecting ideas) as well as a sense of synesthesia. Getting the brain to incorporate new data through existing interfaces (i.e., existing sensory nerves) is much easier than directly projecting information to the brain. And if you’re on LSD already, you really probably don’t need the thing plugged straight into the brain to make it feel, like, real, man.

Actually you have it slightly backwards. The drugs would not be needed as the interface could work as bridges for connecting those areas… and many more things could be achieved. There is something like connectome. Maybe your connectome could be at some point build and evolve with your BCI. But I am sure some bridging and connecting, all of it would be under very strict rules. In fact some things would be prohibited as to not damage your brain. Maybe some things could shortcircuit your brain areas in some way, maybe cause seizures, brain bugs, mind viruses, there are so many ways it could go wrong or… good, maybe it would cure psychiatric disorders? Brain implant for schisophrenia? Maybe? LSD is fairy dust in comparison to what could be theoretically achieved. It could get pretty nasty or pretty nice I have to say. Depends how its managed and controlled. Its definitely some cyberpunk stuff, transhumanism and stuff. Maybe even part of evolution leading us to post singularity order of the world. :exploding_head:

I dont know if you have ever read BLAME!, its some good stuff.

2020 is coming up fast. Cyberpunk is still far behind.

Not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing.

–Gadget Silverhand

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.