Federation Grand Prix - Event Feedback

Respectfully Arthur, I see your point. I see that it’s a recurring problem with your ability to participate in events and new content. I understand the frustration. But that is a problem with operating system compatibility and less with the event itself. Given your situation and stability issues, anything challenging or precarious (as abyssal space would be, given that you can’t safe-warp out), I don’t think there’s an event they can design that will be both interesting to the masses and doable by you.

That’s not meant as a slight against you or anything. But realistically if they are going to create content, they want it to be interesting and challenging, and I don’t think it can be that AND safe to frequently disconnect from during it.

I will say that I really like this conceptually. I’l be honest, I don’t get into the deep lore about this game at all. I heard of moments being a thing in passing. Like, the original EVE-gate is somewhere. And I of course heard all about a monument made for Vile rat. But that’s all I knew about.

To have a chance to have what is essentially a guided tour of things in this game is really interesting. Instead of having to ask people about what sort of things exist in EVE, the game is giving me notice and direction to find it. This makes my EvE experience much more immersive, much more interesting, and helps me value the history and lore that this game has.

The time limit thing is probably the only part I am not really enthused about, because the trips I have to make into lowsec make me want to bounce around safes and get to gates indirectly (always afraid of smartbombs), but the time limit isn’t conducive to that. But if you’re going to make an event, there have to be obstacles, so I guess it’s needed.

By contrast, this isn’t an event where you need a max probing skills character, or dive into specific combat sites right after uptime to get points, or have a ratting character to earn enough isk ticks, or anything like that. As far as event goes, this is really available to just about everyone and I respect that.

10 Likes

I don’t have a problem with network instability, but when your client literally (and this is no exaggeration) locks up every 15-20 minutes simply for undocking, taking gates or docking - it puts the vast majority of content in EVE out-of-reach.

1 Like

I hear ya. I used to play a game called “Battlecruiser: Millenium”. I loved the concepts of that game, but it also literally crashed every 15-20 minutes. In that case it crashed my entire computer every time though, so I never got far with that game until I called it quits.

Fellow Mac user here.

I’d really love to see if I can help you get to the bottom of these issues. I know we’ve chatted in the Mac subforum on some common issues (and a sincere thanks for all your help and input there), but I simply don’t experience the kinds of crashes I know you do.

I use as many as 4 different Macs, ranging from an ancient 2009 MBP with mediocre specs that I rebuilt from something literally found in a trash bin, to a 2013 11" MBA, a 2014(?) MacMini, and a 2015 MBP Retina with dual GPUs. All have their graphics tweaked a bit differently (and the 2009 MBP groans a bit even at the lowest graphics settings), but I don’t get the crashes that you do on any of them. To be clear, I’m not doubting that you are seeing these, I’m just saying that none of my machines behave this way.

If there’s something I can do to help, compare settings, look at software packages, etc. to try to help you get some more insight into this, please let me know and I’m happy to try to help out.

2 Likes

Can I ask why you won’t use windows? Also Does Ubuntu crash too?

1 Like

Windows? Yuck. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

-grabs pitchfork- Heretic! No but really why? Actually curious

Speaking purely for myself, I am technologically agnostic. I use Windows all the time in VMs, but I have a lot of things that I prefer doing on Macs (audio production, etc.) and I like the workflow, interface, maintenance and update routines, and I like my Apple hardware. I can use Windows on a Mac, but not macOS on Windows.

That said, EVE simply cannot run in a VM, so the native Mac client is definitely the way to go.

So you’re saying that buying an inferior computer is giving you inferior results…

Seems legit.

1 Like

Come on now, gents- no need to be rude about the technical choices somebody makes. CCP has provided a Mac client and expecting it to work properly is a perfectly reasonable request, since they put it on offer.

That said, I do believe that something specific to Arthur’s system may be at work here, as EVE runs quite happily on 3/4 of my Macs from a performance perspective and does not crash like this on any of them. My offer to compare notes and see if I can assist is figuring out what that might be stands.

Our time is MUCH better spent endlessly debating if the cloak or MWD should be launched first than picking on what computing platform we prefer or need for reasons beyond gaming :rofl:

6 Likes

Back in the nineties I had a small recording studio and thought I’d arrived with my massive tape decks and whatnot, all analog. Then I got clobbered by the digital revolution, everybody screamed “Buy A Mac!”, it’s got Garage Band, and all that other stuff. Problem was I couldn’t afford the damned things so bought a generic sort of PC from a local dealer, spent the next year or so upgrading pretty well everything in it then built my first Windows Machine. And even then it was more DOS than Windows 3.1, think writing batch files to launch things like Dune2 when just getting the game to run with all the screams and explosions, dealing with extended VS expanded memory, all that was as much fun as actually playing the game. But my somewhat feeble point to be made here is that through all the years building Windows systems I kept hearing anecdotally that although great for multi-media editing the Macs were not designed to play games with. Seems like maybe, if I was passionate about the gamer thing I’d have a high end Windows machine and for multi-media editing I’d have a Mac. Only I don’t, as my Windows machine handles pretty well what I throw at it. And the new one, currently building, will be even better.

2 Likes

Oh, this is absolutely true. A great Mac won’t keep up with a mid-range PC gaming rig, but mine actually runs EVE pretty well and I am completely happy with it.

Yep, totally agree- I just happen to have gone the Mac route :slight_smile: Been Mac for ages, and see no sense in switching over just for a hobby (EVE), but as I say, I am technologically agnostic and use Windows all the time. But Macs are “home” for me.

Incidentally, if you’re still doing the audio thing, Logic Pro X is currently the most INSANE value in DAWs running. After they bought Camel Audio a few years ago, they have been putting all of their plugins into Logic and still only charging $200 for the whole thing. Alchemy used to go for $250 by itself if I remember right. Still use Ableton for a lot, but Logic has some awesomeness going for it.

I guess my general sense of things is, I never give people grief about whatever tools they like to use as long as they can get the job done. Mac vs. PC vs Linux, IOS vs. Android, none of it really matters as long as the user does what they need to do in a way they are reasonably happy with.

3 Likes

@Solonius_Rex dry

+1

Is Logix actually a better deal than Propellerhead Reason?

With all the negatives of crashing so frequently it is hard to understand what activity you could do and not be frustrated at.
Station trading or industry perhaps.

Arthur, it is clear now that the issue is with your computer/client due to the regularity of your issues. As you know i am also a mac user and have no issues at all. So it is clearly not CCP’s fault at all that you cannot engage with the new content…

I quote from the e-book “How to not be a whiny Apple user in 3 easy steps!”

Get two USB sticks.
Install linux from one to the other stick then add EVE Online.
Run EVE on linux without dualboot issues, just plug in or out.

It’s a small book, just one page and three lines…

It’s an memory leak issue with Wine. This wasn’t present with Cider. CCP has confirmed this, they’ve confirmed that they’re hopefully working on a fix - and I’m not the only who’s reported this issue that’s been plaguing many of us for the past few years.

It doesn’t matter what graphics settings or window size I run it at, it doesn’t matter how much I tweak the Wine configuration and it doesn’t matter what activity I’m doing. It’s simply an accumulation of jumps (regardless of system activity).

Having to run 30+ jumps return guarantees at least one crash per race (occasionally more). In addition to the tedium of this event it’s become a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

1 Like

Is it a multibox issue? Here is an example where you and 2 alts are being pwned :

Try and do 30+ jumps with only one account logged in?
Also, watching your history you appear to be ratting in the same 6 systems, not sure how you get 30+ jumps in under 20 minutes there (maybe the 3x memory accumulation is an issue).

A solution could be is to buy a second hand PC with windows just to dedicate to EVE Online.

I have a dedicated VAIO laptop for eve online (on the go) and a Gigabyte Brix that is also dedicated. Currently looking to put EVE Online on systems with even less cpu and ram soon™.

Interesting. Do you use any kind of monitoring software to keep an eye on RAM utilization (iStat Menus or something similar)? I’m curious about how macOS is utilizing and freeing the RAM as you are using WINE.

Also, any other details that I can try to recreate on my end to see what might be different between our systems? I fairly regularly need to do 30+ jump runs with 2 alts logged in and I don’t get these crashes or see any kind of massive RAM consumption, but I’ll watch it more closely to see what’s going on.

For what it’s worth, my main machine for playing is my MBP Retina:

MBP 11,3
macOS 10.13.5
2.6 GHz Quad i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

I do normally have a bunch of other stuff running as well (iTunes, Safari, Mail, etc.).

Definitely want to help if I can.

1 Like