I had not been completely deleted all Eve files. I did re-install Eve after manually removing all of the files (~/Library etc…). NO JOY.
To be clear, I did not have this problem until I upgraded to the MacOS version 10.15 Catalina.
While I have tried various Launcher settings, this time I used ‘Version Type’ = Beta, ‘Run clients with’ = [logging, DX9, 64 bit]. ‘Use dev versions’ checked. ‘Dev branch’ = Latest. ‘Wine verion’ = winehq-binary.
This was my first time with DX9 enabled (seems weird for a Mac).
LogLite shows no obvious errors and a successful download and launch but the client is just a total black screen. All of this information and log files have already been reported to CCP mid-June.