Fit and drone recommendations

I’m a capsuleer who is almost done in SOE missions and now would like to do some ratting in quiet low sec or do Abyssal run. I am a amarr pilot and will fly around minmatar space. I am thinking of buying either Harbinger or Prophecy for various activities. I plan on doing PvE mostly, so everybody plase do feel free to comment down below your suggestions(ships, skills, fits, drones, ways to make isk, or anything else!).

Stay cheap until you figure it out.

Well, AceFace has a ton of abyssal videos, and Dadex has a bunch of lowsec videos. So might want to check those guys out.

I also have a very short list of general advice if you’re interested…

Definitely not a wall of text
  • Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose.
  • Don’t be afraid to lose ships.
  • Bigger/more expensive/more skill intensive is not necessarily better.
  • Never be the victim.
  • Don’t expect (or demand) the unearned.
  • Always be growing –even if it’s slow growth. It is the still water that stagnates.
  • Punching down is great for making money, and can be fun. However, if all you do is punch down, you will lock yourself into your current level of competency.
  • The biggest tragedy of any loss is failing to learn anything from it.
  • Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes. Wisdom is learning from other people’s.
  • Do not let your ego inhibit your growth. Blaming enemies, allies, mechanics, and/or CCP will protect your ego, but it also blinds to your own mistakes and shortcomings, which prevents you from addressing them.
  • Angrily persisting in using deprecated strats is not adaptation -it’s being an evolutionary holdout.
  • Community wisdom is great for casuals and helping newbros to find their footing. However, you can’t pull ahead of the pack by doing what everyone else is doing.
  • If you can’t beat them in a fair fight, don’t fight fair (note that I am not advocating for cheating, or breaking the EULA. I’m talking about not following a bushido code).
  • Think outside of the box. And, do note, that I’m not just talking about things like ships, fits, or tactics. It’s a sandbox. Do not artificially constrain yourself to a limited set of tools.
  • If someone presents you with two unappealing options, look for the options that they aren’t presenting to you.
  • If you think your enemies have an insurmountable advantage, adopt their tactics and strategies. You’ll either gain an insurmountable advantage yourself, or discover their strengths and weaknesses so that you can better fight them.
  • Change is opportunity. Nerfs, buffs, redesigns –it doesn’t matter. It is change itself that is the opportunity. And if you cannot figure out how to benefit from a change right now, look for players that have figured it out. You may be able to follow their lead for this change, and it will help give you ideas for how you might exploit similar opportunities in the future.
  • Improve your execution. Learn your hotkeys. Rearrange your hud to maximize readability and minimize eye and mouse movement. Look for other ways to improve reaction times, reduce execution times, and reduce mistakes. Practice, practice, practice.
  • Videos and guides are great, but there is no substitute for experience.
  • Try to apply lessons learned from other games to Eve.
  • Let people underestimate you. Fly ships with a reputation for sucking. Appear like prey. Try to hide strengths. (On a side note, I’ve heard it argued that people will only underestimate you once, but you’d be surprised how many players fail to learn from their mistakes –or, maybe not because you already know.)
  • Never forget that you are playing human opponents.
  • Even optimal strats can become suboptimal if it makes you too predictable.
  • Don’t underestimate your opponents. Strong players like to act like prey, or pretend that they are weaker than they actually are.
  • Don’t overestimate your opponents. Just because they have the superior ship/fleet comp and/or are acting aggressively, that doesn’t mean that they have the skills to back it up.
  • It is better to make friends and occasionally get stabbed in the back, than it is to be never betrayed, but forever alone.
  • Don’t fall victim to the PvP readiness fallacy -you don’t need a bunch of SP or a fat wallet to have fun or get kills
  • Don’t burn yourself out doing things that you don’t particularly enjoy. There’s more to eve than making number go up.
  • If you don’t like what you’re doing, or getting bored with it, look for other stuff to do. Eve has a ton of stuff to do.
  • Don’t listen to the bitter vets. They will poison your morale, change how you look at things, and how you respond to adversity and setbacks. This will ruin your fun and limit your success, as focusing on the negative is neither fun nor productive.
  • Don’t listen to the blame shifters. Eve has a flat power curve, and game balance is largely fine. It is how you chose to respond to challenge and adversity that will determine you outcomes. Will you whine and ask for your enemies to be nerfed? Or will you figure out how to counter them? You are responsible for your successes and failures. You are the master of your destiny.

Oh yeah…
THIS IS An UNRESTRICTED PvP GAME -EXPECT PvP!!! And if you don’t want to PvP, either get good at PvP avoidance, or go play a consensual only PvP game.

1 Like

That’s generally good a good bit of advice.

Abyssal runs in Amarrian ships.
OK, so that’s “Electrical Abysses” - the resistance penalty applies to you and the NPCs - EM is what you are shooting so that’s good and doubling the capacitor recharge is going to help you a lot.

Try a T0 Electrical first - it’ll give you a good taste for them. A mission fitted cruiser - either an active tanked Omen or a similar Maller will work well for you, I’d probably go for an Omen, less defence more DPS. Make sure you have “all” on your Overview. The loot is in the extractors (lots of flying, speed helps) and in the caches (nearer to the gate - often better loot). Concentrate on “getting through the three rooms” on your first run, with maybe shooting and looting the cache for the reward. This will give you a feel for the time you have with the ship you are using.
Tier 1 is a little harder, but very doable with a new player friendly cruiser. The filaments are a lot cheaper because everyone wants to try T0. You will still be learning what ship names do what to you (yep, they web, scram, neut, jam and shoot at you) and what order to kill them.

“Quiet Low-sec” is a myth. That’s “Low-sec where someone knows who you are and can quickly find you when they see you are the only target in the system”. You don’t need a Battlecruiser for ratting there - take something you can afford to have fun with and loose while you learn how Eve works when Concord aren’t there to punish transgressors. Ratting in Low-sec may not be the earner you are expecting it to be. Personally I don’t tend to rat - I’m a profitable manufacturer at heart - so that comment may be my ignorance.

Good luck - Amarr in Minmatar space is fairly rare: though it was how I spent my first year or so. The colours of the nebula really pick up the gold on the Amarrian hulls nicely.

3 Likes

The only problem I witness talking to Newbros is they don’t know how much is still “cheap”.
A 10m Dessie is dirt cheap. But it wasn’t within my first two or three months in New Eden. So the amount we’re talking about is changing the older and skilled a char becomes.
But there is always ways to replace ships. So the most important lesson to me was that feeling attached to certain ships is severely limiting your gameplay and fun.
Losses are not funny, but they are the best way to learn.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.