For the few, rather than the many

I appreciate the tip, sir. Sorry if that didnt shine through. Ill look into it. Havent seen anything about that at all, yet. But I only just returned last night. And as you can imagine, there are quite a lot to read up on lol…

But wouldnt that just make my CHaracter a newbie again? How much isk do you get for 50 mill SPs? Or is that dependent on the skill in question?

I get it, thx lol.
And yet, the amount of new, young and returning players are dwindling… But I guess thats just me being obtuse lol. You literally advocate that EVE never change at all. Other than in the mechanics, rather than the economy and earning-ways.

But atm I see that nothing I say, register much in you guys as being even remotely true lol. And thats fine. Maybe I was right to leave the game and not come back, and Im just an old troll, messing with the game as you know it. Sorry if thats the case.

But it dosent make EVE more popular. it dosnt repopulate the ranks. It dosnt get kids to be interested in the game. And it certainly dosnt help old players get back. Whether its fair I dont know, but thats how it is. Look at the stats, and youll find it hard to disagree.

So lets assume that everything I say has been wrong or misunderstood etc. Will you then also argue, that EVE is perfect as it is (in the topic we are speaking about ofc)? If so, Id say you lack both imagination and probably have more isk than sense lol. You certainly dont give a crap about the game´s future.

short explanation:

-You buy a skill extractor (around 350m isk)
-You lose points from a skill to create a skill injector. YOu extract 500,000 skill points into each injector
-You sell the injector (around 800m isk currently)

So you profit about 450m each time you do this. My understanding is you can do this around 3-4 times a month (depending on implants and your attribute mapping compared to the skill you’re training) and remain “even” with your skills So you essentially make the amount needed to plex plus a little something each month. Extractors are bought with Plex… so the costs tend to track pretty evenly with the plex costs.

If you wanted to dump 50m skill points… you should net about 45 billion isk. That would keep you in plex for the next 2.5 years.

You get about 1.5B ISK for 2M SP roughly speaking. So 50M SP would be something like lets say 40B ISK.

I’m not suggesting you sell any of your 110M SP though. Just extract the amount you train during the month (a little less than 2M SP) and sell that to cover the cost of 500 PLEX. At the end of the month you will still have 110M SP (instead of ~112M SP) but will have full omega status. You can play for free, or very close to it with the only downside being your character will not gain anymore SP.

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/exploring-the-character-bazaar-skill-trading/
https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/skill-trading-in-new-eden/

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Skill_trading

Holy crap! Im rich! lol
Well, I see how that would help us oldtimers returning. Thx for the explanation. Ill definately look into that for sure.
This seems like a good flexible way of thinking new in EVE.

Still remains the question of drawing in new people/blood to the game, though. But yeah. Certainly helps, if its not too complicated to actually do. Seems simple enough though. So We´ll see.

No, it isn’t. The difference between fun and satisfaction. You have it upside down. Making it more fun for casuals is what makes the game more retarded, not the other way round. The Fun-crowd is the crowd that wants quick action and satisfaction, which isn’t what the game is about.

Again, the difference between fun and satisfaction.

If you’re not aware of the difference, maybe this post helps:

PLEX has nothing to do with anything you are talking about. CCP recently told us that most active EVE players sub their accounts, plexing an account is and always has been the province of or relatively wealthy (in terms of isk) players. PLEX has zero to do with new players.

The real issue here is that in the past plex was wayyy too cheap, which made it something attractive to players with a little bit of isk or who could grind pve for a few hours per month. Now that plex cost closer to what it should (being it’s a luxuary item), people who should have never been plexing in the 1st place are posting angrily every week about it (and then claiming that the plex price somehow hurts ‘new players’ when in reality it only hurts the people complaining about it).

The other thing thats silly about the OP is the idea that somehow all of this means that EVE is ‘less accessible’. EVE is the most accessible it’s ever been, you can literally play for free…

This goes to show that for some people, even FREE isn’t enough. Humans are so irredeemably greedy that even when something is given for free we will complain about it not being free enough somehow…

7 Likes

to the OP

game was never easy, so please get on with it, sub or go alpha, also alphas are getting a pretty big buff.

it’s a simple choice really, pay 15 bucks or don’t.

if you choose to not pay then feck off and be happy with what you get for free.

3 Likes

Developers have to constantly battle the players, because players, and the clever ones first, adult ones, mature ones, will get rid of fun and replace it with efficiency, grind, blue donuts. No risk, just gain.

1 Like

No, it’s the other way round. Look at those who want this: The carebears and crybabies.

Ive been looking into the skill-selling stuff, and thats actually pretty cool.
Before I get roasted on the collective Fan-boi-campfire, let me just clarify some things, that some of you somehow misunderstood.

Plex is a thing that was made by the Devs, back then. Its mechanics and how its traded etc. is their concoction. Alongside CSM, they generate the mechanics that we as players exploit or use, how we see fit. Saying that Plex has nothing to do with Devs is simply naive and silly. I agree ,that how the market developed, it IS the players that govern it now. But only because CCP allow or encourage it. And they do.
We have seen many article over the years, where the Devs are absolutely loving, how this market develops. Even when its socially unjust or unbalanced, towards fostering new players in the game. It favors the already rich, and will most likely, break anyone not rich or anyone new to the game. Thats how scammers have thrived for years now: On the ignorance of the new people. So yeah, I dont necessarily dislike how it is. Im simply saying: If you want more new players in EVE, these things need to be adressed.

When I speak about the monthly sub/plex-need, you cant see it as a general opposition towards supporting the game. My view evolves around the inflation of EVE. over little under 2 yrs, PLex-prices has gone from about 550 mill (a month), to 1.5 bill (a month) roughly. And even though earning HAS become easier in some regards, if you know how, it hasnt become so easy as to warrant the Plex prices. Its the same that happened at the 2008 marketcrash, where things just kept building up, without the underlying market (us) following suit. Whether a financial bubble is possible in EVE or not, I dont know. But Im fairly certain, that it has damaged the subbing and new player-flow.

I sat in Dixie for a couple of hours last night. When I left game 2 yrs ago, there were around 300/400 people in Dixie local, almost 24/7. Fighting on the undock and all around station. Lively scams and debate in Local-chat. Like friggin Bourbonstreet in New Orleans lol. Last night I saw about 150 in local, almost no chatting, and didnt see a single duel or fight on the undock.
You can all justify that with all sorts of arguments. But in the end, thats the sign you should be looking for, when you judge the future of the game. I have no doubt, that EVE is slowly smothering itself, through economy and bad priorities, that server the already monopolized powers in the game. Rather than nurturing a doctrine, that renews the game for the future.

If they already MADE things that should help with that, I just hope its not too late, because clearly, it isnt working well…

Hmm, I thought you would give me the last word, mate? Lying much? Hypocrite alot?
You assume that you can only do one thing, and not both. Try and break your simple mind-bonds, sir, and you will realize that the world is not black and white. Its grey and complicated. Your brains desire to paint it black and white, shouldnt be displayed in public, sir. Its not good for your reputation :slight_smile:

If you read (you can read, right?) the most recent post I made, you might understand, that even if you WERE right in anything you say, so am I. Its subjective how we feel about it, but its rather interesting talking about in civil tones, without smearing each other. All it takes is a bit of effort and empathy. Try it out, man.

CCP are pushing players to make their own trade-hubs with citadels. This has lead to some of the minor tradehubs, like Dodixie, to lose customers as the taxes are higher at a NPC-station than at a player owned citadel.

There is nothing subjective about this. Our feelings don’t matter at all.

You not understanding that it is mostly the simple minded gamers who seek fun only isn’t my problem. It’s your problem. CCP is already targeting them withnads that are insulting to anyone not dumb enough to buy into it. When ads sell you the idea of advantages, they target the lower instincts of people who have a need for them. Nothing subjective, you just don’t know better. Your education certainly doesn’t make you intelligent.

Fun isn’t the same as satisfaction. Look the words up.

Price change on one item alone is not nearly close to inflation definition.
And the price is mostly driven by supply x demand. Fewer people buying plex for RL money (less suply) and more people buying plex with ISK (more demand from alpha players) will result in plex price going up.
Inflation is positive, yes, but not nearly as bad as to 3x the prices, see:

So even if there is more people buying plex than 2 years ago, the high demand for plex that alpha players and skill farmers introduced clearly made it more expensive. Overall, it is more expensive to be omega using ISK today because the game has become “for the many” rather then the few.

Now that is Irony. People wanted CCP to “open up the game to more people”. CCP does this, which has some negative affects on the veterans who were begging CCP to open the game up to more people. All of a sudden it’s “CCP made the game for the few not the many”!!

I’ve seen that happen over and over again in EVE. Well meaning people asking for change (usually in the name of the ‘new players’) while not understanding that all change comes with consequences, some of which they won’t much care for.

While no one can give you are clear description of how we got here and there are many, many different factors, you are not wrong. Highsec activity has dropped significantly in recent years, and much of the remaining activity is centralized around Jita. We can blame Citadels and their market hubs, nerfs to active war decs, increased rewards in nullsec, higher PLEX prices, more safety courtesy of CrimeWatch and other buffs to safety, too much production and not enough destruction to give industrialists something to do, a failure to provide new highsec content for years and so on, but highsec is not as active as it once was as you have recognized.

I suggest though you don’t live in the past. There are still plenty of people playing the game and things to do and even a few more new ones coming next Tuesday. Some activities you enjoyed may have disappeared, but there are also new challenges and game play and New Eden is as pretty as ever (even if a little emptier) and has lots to explore. I am sure there is enough to keep you entertained for some months or even years.

But next time you raise a glass, pour one out for the highsec of days gone by and all the ne’er-do-wells who use to keep it full of content and make it come alive that are no longer with us.

I think its more about who is elite.

(its parody)

1 Like

Hi

Returning player, was baffled by skill trading myself but you actually have a couple of options that give you a huge advantage over actual new players to get to OMEGA.

1. Here is how to get omega straight away without paying irl money, then you can make isk going forward however you want because you will have omega skills:

a) Find 2 million skill points you wont miss (OK, you might not have any, but pre skill trading most people have some stuff they trained when they were new, changed ‘careers’ whatever).
b) Buy 4 extractors, extract skill points, sell injectors, profit should be enough for one months sub.
c)Buy plex, sub, now play as OMEGA and make isk at your full rate to plex going forward. Train what you want. You will not have issues plexing if that’s what you want, because game is awash with isk and 1.5bil is not that much. If you find it still boring, and too hard, it has only cost you 2 million skill points to find out, and you are quitting the game now anyway?

1. Don’t want some of those subs you’ve paid returned to you in the form of isk? Don’t want to lose skill points? Want to plex your alt accounts with 0 real life cost once you have an extra few bill extra to set them up?
    a) Pay ONE MONTHS SUB only. When you are making isk and can easily spare 1.5bil you can
    b) Put +5 implants in relevant slots.
    c) Train your char for the month.
    d)Extract and sell months skill points.
    e)Your OMEGA char is not progressing as long as you do this, but you effectively have a full omega char who can fly ANYTHING you are skilled for.
    f)Once you are making 1.5bil or whatever a month spare, plex this account and continue training.

So for returning vets/anyone with a character with more than 7.5mil skill points there is a third option over OMEGA and ALPHA (without considering the new changes) if they want to return and try the game for free or low cost (one sub- play your 100mil or whatever SP char indefinitely just pay for new stuff).

While I prefer to not be labeled a moron, I DO like feedback. So far Ive seen a good bunch of people replying with good advice, that could disassemble my worries and ignorance. Thx for the input.
I know Im not “in the EVE-loop” right now, which you should take into account, when reading my posts. I thought I made that clear in the OP. but I guess a few diehards need to poop in my direction, anyways lol. But its fine. My troll-filter is intact :slight_smile:

I might be completely wrong about everything, and there IS no problem at all. But one thing there cant be much discussion about is this: EVE COULD be for more people and more inviting to young people, than it is. And wars, fights and HS/LS-activities has been slowly dying out, the last 3 yrs. 2½ yrs ago, we saw Smartbombing gate camps in Low sec lol, Suddenly Blops everywhere. HS wars rolling back and forth. POCO-tugging, like there was no tomorrow, fights and duels and Faction warfare and incursions etc.
Now, it MAY still all be there, and Im just not seeing it, but yeah, this is what new players see, when they enter the game:
A slightly stale community (in HS where they start and spend most of their first days). A market that looks ridiculously comprehensive and complex, the steepest learning-curve in history, old veterans showing off their power, blappin unsuspecting newbies and miners.
This topic is very hard to debate properly, because as some of you have said, the game is very complex and the issues revolve around many things intermixed etc. i get that.
But I also remain firm in my belief, that EVE could be so much more, and for much more people. Rather than the few. And without disrupting the whole game that much. All the things you talk about, that EVE is and always has been, could still be there. Once you base the whole game on meta-mechanics, you lose the ability to repair the problems, when they rise, because that means disrupting what people gets used to doing.
So Im not asking us to reverse to older versions at all. Au contraire. I propose, that the game focus less on the players that are already hooked on the game, and make it easier for new players and young people to thrive in the game. Just add layers to it, really, without removing anything. Like they tried with the new career-system, which looks pretty good. But why Arent young people joining? Because they run into that wall of old EVE and economy and complexity and rules etc. Little to no free play. VEry little plug-n-play-feel about it. Micromanagement-bottlenecks and whatnot.
This is ofc just my view, but I feel its pretty much underlined by the reality of EVE.