♦ Forward Operating Base / Fob Tips

Interesting - https://zkillboard.com/character/733671405/

You know the only way to Stop Zkill posting your kills/losses is to login to it and tell it not to. Otherwise it simply pulls info from the servers…

NB; The killboard you for the character you posted with, Chainsaw Plankton, dates from December 11 2007 to the most recent burn Jita (impressive kills for the event btw).

zkill doesn’t pull everything. My most recent loss was on April 3rd, yet it’s not on zkill.

zKill has kills over that range, but it is also missing stuff, and with battleclinic gone I honestly have no idea how much. The stuff that is there is because whoever got the final blow or whoever lost the ship has their (or their corp’s) API in the zkill system. Dec 2007 is when the game started storing kills and you could start API verifying them. Prior to that you got an evemail from concord. I suppose you could api verify that by giving mail access, but many old mails have been deleted, pretty much all my old mails are gone.

Zkill had the old kills but purged them at some point as there was no way to verify them.

Killing vs Killed

I havn’t killed one. It was fun trying to kill one. The aim was killing an FOB solo. It is still alive. It’s not on zkillboard. Killboard registered my deaths having fun. Ryan B Thiesant | Character | zKillboard

Not everyones idea of fun!

Fly fun o7

1 Like

no offence, i cannot comment on you first experience in EVE. I had training wheel and it was fun. thank you CCP.

I have also had fun* in wormholes, low, null, FOB, stations (shooting a new sleeper).

no offence - i’m having a lot off in EVE. I’m going back there now.

Out of curiosity, has anybody done any further experimentation with solo fits (single ship, single box) or strategies to taking these things on?

Judging by the killboard, single box passive regen Rattlesnakes are still a thing for Guristas FOB. Even single box Isthars by the looks.

1 Like

Blood Raider FOB in Iderion if anyone wants to have a go :wink:

Interestingly enough, I lost my rattlesnake tonight to a Gurista FOB. I done 6-7 without any problem and then some Guristas Production Condor showed up, fully loaded with Scourge HMs. Needless to say, my full therm tank didn’t held up :frowning:

1 Like

In a system with an FOB there are also pirate miner fleets in belts, and haulers that haul ore from miners to FOB.

Guristas Production Condor is part of miner response fleet, a hauler must have showed up at FOB while you were there, he then immediately left to a safespot and response fleet came.

1 Like

You’re right, there were some haulers coming in. However it wasn’t a problem before, I wonder why the damage type was different. I’m kinda hesitant to loose another rattlesnake and try this out lol.

You can check belts for miners before going for FOB. If you find them, align, attack them, and warp away. Response fleet will come and they all will leave to a safespot. I think it takes from 30 minutes to an hour for them to get back to mining.

BTW If you manage to kill hauler I think it takes up to 4 hours for it to respawn. And you might get Guristas Production Strongbox too. Those drop more shinies than FOB sometimes… rarely… very.

Just lost a decent fitted orca to a bloodraider patrol, even the god damn tacklers started to rep themselves and the tech 2 drones died in droves which didn’t matter at all… cause the omens ate through any shield i had left at that point.

1 Like

ECM drones are your friends. Carry a bunch.

Align to your destination, finger on the Warp to button, set the ecm drones on the tackle frigates, spam warp button (pray).

I was in the same situation as you and resigned to losing my Orca. Tried the ecm drones out of desperation, actually punched the air when it worked.

2 Likes

I have not run a lot of these sites but I have noticed a few things that people more experienced with these may have some information on.

I run these with multiple Nestors using Ogres.

Firstly, it seems that the longer the FOB is up the more support NPCs there are, which means more incoming damage. Anyone noticed that?

Secondly, my first tries were against freshly spawned FOBs & my drones were left to do their work untouched. My recent runs have been against FOBs that have been up for longer & my drones have been attacked. I haven’t lost any, but this did increase the amount of management required. This may relate to my first point. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thirdly, has anyone else noticed that the further the FOB gets into structure the amount of incoming damage decreases?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I think Ryan B is exactly right. More for the mega corps and alliances.

That’s weird that they don’t scram. Just last night I was jumped by a group of them in an asteroid belt, which in fact scrammed… and jammed… me. I couldn’t fight back, nor run. In High sec. They tore through my pvp Caracal in under a minute. Tell them they don’t scram, would you?

1 Like

you are on the wrong topic. FOB defense and FOB patrols don’t scram.

Actually I have been trying to solo FOBs for fun.

They have been known to drop Station Rigs.

Firstly, Thank you for sharing the information, it’s greatly appreciated.

Why do mosts strategies I see, kinda seem like “facetank DPS” and attack the FOB directly?

I have seen one success of a group of cerberus’ speed tanking at 300km. Using boosters they fired missiles at over 300km. The FOB melted eventually. They did not kill the rats.

I have also seen one guy speed tank in a VNI, kill all the rats then kill the FOB in hours!

As for my solo efforts I have found speed tanking 3k m/s at 310km avoids the FOB range. However I could not hit anything without slowing down, and then tanking damage.

So for my next fit will I will use auto targeting missiles, test in a caracal, to first kill all the Rats. But a single caracal DPS will obviously not break the FOB tank. After that test I will try in a speed tanking gila and refit for the FOB.

Also do the Rats increase based on numbers or the Power of the fleet or anything?
Has anyone used a POS to kill the fleet?

Thanks in advance

It is pointless to shoot the NPC because they will just respawn and they do not give bounties. You have effectively wasted time (and ammunition) on a nuisance that FOB really are. The same problem applies at Pirate Shipyards in null sec: You just waste your time if you shoot the NPC and don’t concentrate on the structure. That’s why they are being run in a couple of titans instead of a wasteful full fleet.

Have fun destroying the NPC if they have logistics on grid.

You cannot lure the NPC away from the FOB and even if you could, they would just respawn.