Free to play not so much?

Alpha is underrated. You get to fly pirate cruisers with a decent mix of level 4 and 5 in main and support skills and weapon specialization up to level 3. There’s some good stuff that alphas can fly with solid bonuses.

I’d argue a newbie would get more value out of grinding for alpha injectors on the market than subbing Omega.

OP’s problem is that he went for roles that are outside of alpha limits without being aware, while on Omega. That’s on him, but I’ll give him that EVE’s monetization approach is highly unusual within the MMO scene.

1 Like

I’m confused what is not free?

You’re replying to and wasting your time on a very obvious troll.

You can play the game for free.

But you will not get access to some parts that are exclusive to the players that pay for a subscription in this subscription-based game.

Got to love that grind then, and have time for it.

It’s surprisingly cheap actually. Not much grind required for alpha injectors, compared to regular injectors or PLEXing.
The other alternative is buying alpha dailies with cash, which also works out compared to the new sub price.

1 Like

LOL. I agree with you about Alpha being meaningless as the end-game items are locked behind an Omega paywall but it’s perfect for players like me who only want to play casual a couple hours a day with no long-term goals, just a bit of fun.

If you are unable to justify a normal monthly omega, ask yourself what is free and what is not free then say to yourself that the endgame is not a concern without getting over that hurdle.

Depends on what you want for your end game decides how you play along with the frequency you play, so once you work out your endgame focus setting goals and ways in achieving your version of your endgame.

1 Like

Are you seriously expecting people to have reasonable and rational opinions, and not be self centered?

1 Like

People type what’s on their minds and sometimes a negitive can actually be a positive.

The op sees it as a negitive where others see it as a positive and how we all arive at a balance is what keeps the community flowing.

It’s an amusing logic though. By the OP’s logic I, a subscription payer, should be able to fly and use anything I acquired during my subscription time after stopping to pay for a subscription. Now, who can have anything against that, eh ? Admit it…, it’s tempting, your heart is racing now, you sweat slightly and you’re ready to pitch this to ccp. Good Luck. :rofl:

I started EVE in 2009. Made my permanent main, from which I post this reply, in 2011.

“Alpha” clones came out in 2016.

People in EVE make hundreds of millions even billions an hour in some cases not with huge mining fleets but many other ways and methods.

Grinding 1.7bil approx. for 500 plex is not that unreasonable. Thats about 8-10 hours of incursions depending on conditions. Or it can be 3hours in t6 abyss with good drops. And so on and for forth.

Ah yes, the good old PLEX treadmill. Dedicating a huge portion of your playtime to paying for your playtime.

2 Likes

What have CCP given us in return for Alpha status?

/
Also what it must had been like in 2006-2008 The Difference Between the Have’s and the Have Not’s!

Its not called a “Free to play” game…

I was a Netflix subscriber from 2004 until 2020.
I guess I should have been expecting to be able to still watch any content from that time period after I stopped paying my subscription since I HAD been paying it when it was made.

1 Like

A fairer comparison would be to other MMOs though, or at least something to do with games.

Compare StarWars TOR: subscribe for one month then unsub. You retain access to all expansions and preferred account status.

MMOs generally sell you items and sell you faster leveling progression.

OPs first expectations may have been entirely reasonable for this game genre, but he should have done some reading up first.

I have played two other MMO’s (aside from Eve).
ArchAge (when it first came out) had no free to play option. If you dropped your subscription you didn’t log in.

Black Dessert was “free to play” but without the $15/mo “value pack” you lost half the value of anything you sold to taxes and your inventory slots were so reduced that it drastically curtailed most play styles.
You could play for free, but you really weren’t playing the same game everyone else was.
I feel like playing Eve as an Alpha is kind of the same thing.

2 Likes

Never played ArchAge, but I do know the BDO limitations no longer really apply.

There’s free options to get inventory slots and buying them is no longer recommended (you generally run out of weight allowance before you run out of slots). Then again, you could buy them, without subbing, if you wanted.
Market penalties are circumvented by getting 1-day-value packs for free loyalty points and selling everything you want to get rid off, in one go.

That said, I think for EVE, Alpha is also perfectly fine, unless the player wants to have cloaking devices or multi-box. The rest is no big deal.

1 Like