Freezes on CCP Intro screen thingy

The launcher is “working” at tha moment of screenshoot.

Type in your file explorer adres bar (https://prnt.sc/vdbj6p) %localappdata%\CCP\EVE\Launcher and see if you have any log files there. Probably not but worth trying.

I you will find nothing, support ticket is last help. Without recreating issue on my end or getting any information what is the issue I can’t really do much to help. Ticket might get someone from CCP to take look at it.

I am also running into this issue. Here is my log (1 of 2)

I included a link to the log file output.

It ends in same moment as in OP case. Next step (looking at my logs) should actual startup of launcher but it stops. I can’t think of way around this. Tried to help but no luck.

Write bug report (https://community.eveonline.com/support/bug-reports/), attach log files if you have them and even put link to this thread in it. Devs will take look into it.

Another one here suffering from this same problem. Just to post a few other things that I’ve tried and how my issue came about:

I originally launched Eve and it patched the client from an older version (which was working last time I played was back in July). The process was hanging in task manager as Barret Vakot posted above. I did actually use the Revo Uninstaller to remove the game and verified the Registry entry was cleared for it.

• Cache files in appdata were also removed.

• Tried re-downloading the launcher off of the website but the launcher hangs in task manager in exactly the same manner. Tried downloading the Res for the full game and re-running - no success.

• I’ve tried launching the client in windows 10 safe mode to make sure that there’s no 3rd party program interfering - still hangs in the task manager.

I wondered if it could be something with this latest launcher build - so I dug up an old eve launcher binary - https://www.eveonline.com/article/updates-to-the-eve-launcher-beta The one listed here - which at least runs and installs the launcher. Once it’s installed, it runs the old client completely fine, then finds and downloads the latest update. When it runs, however, it gives you a 30-second window before the update automatically installs - but - it loaded into the taskbar normally and it gave me access to the launcher diagnostic tools (The up-to-date launcher doesn’t load anything onto the taskbar, it never gets that far). As long as you’re in the menu the 30 second counter starts counting into the negative.

While I was able too I hit “Network Diagnostics” - Basic, Traceroute, Download Test and SSL Diagnostics all also complete successfully.

Under Settings, I’ve tried the Beta Version type, Release Type and Development type as well.
Doing it this way with the Eve LogLite running does actually get it to output into the program but its all blue (Informational) logs.

In resource manager, I’ve analysed the wait chain for the launcher as well and it seems to literally just be waiting on itself.

It almost fills like the launcher is waiting for a service that is suspended and it just hangs (or for a response back from something). Or like, when a program crashes and you re-launch a program before the last one finishes up and they both just hang.

Each time I’ve checked to ensure there’s a single instance running, I’ve even given it the benefit of the doubt and given it a couple of hours to do something, but alas, just hangs.

Even though the network diagnostics were successful anyway, I did check windows firewall settings and whilst there wasn’t an entry in there for the launcher, I manually added one, but didn’t make any difference either.
Tried with and without a VPN also…

Event viewer logs are uneventful -

in the security log.

I’m reasonably tech-savvy and I must admit, this one has me both baffled and confused.

And yes before you ask - I’m above the recommended specs for Eve, Windows 10 is the latest version, Nvidia Drivers are up-to-date (Using a Geforce 1080) - also am dual monitors. (Have tried the suggested method above with regards to trying to resolve the issue).

I’ve got a separate rig that I use for work, that I’ll try downloading Eve onto tomorrow - the only other thing I can think of trying is to move a whole client across if I can successfully install it then navigate directly to the client program and try to bypass the launcher?

I actually had this issue in the same exact manner as you. hadn’t played it since about July or so and it launched fine but, once the update was applied I encountered the above mentioned issue. I also tried the steps you tried with the same result.

This won’t work. While you probably will be able to start client. You need launcher to actually login inside client.

I can give my log from working launcher if you think that this would help you somehow dig into it again.

So update for myself - while I did what I said before, as suspected, was another dead end. I could launch the client, but without the launcher, couldn’t get into the game.

I ended up going a little deeper. Microsoft have a program called “Process Monitor” - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/procmon which I ended up running, then launching the Eve Launcher. Proccess Monitor follows everything that runs on your machine, so I ended up filtering out everything that “EveLauncher.exe” was doing, then followed through the logs until I found where it was getting stuck.

For me, for some bizarre reason, the client was getting stuck hooking in Nvidia/Vulkan Libraries into a recording program I use called Action! (No, I have no idea why this is part of the launcher process, but hey, I followed the trail). I ended the launcher task one more time, just straight up removed Action! attempted to relaunch the game and hey presto, it now launches for me…

Procmon records a lot of information (mine did 2.5m log entries in about 5 minutes) so it needs some heavy filtering, but hey, if you’re happy to try and diagnose and resolve the issue yourself, I’d recommend it. Good luck!

2 Likes

I forgot about procmon. I tried looking through but there is soo many entries I wasn’t sure where the hook part came into play. I got a bunch of entries for registry names not found. not sure if that was the issue or not.

Holy Crap!. The one post about Launcher freezing up worked for me. I went into environmental variables on my system and added a system variable which seems to have resolved the issue. The variable name is QT_OPENGL and the variable value was angle. I hit ok and restarted my computer. After that restart the launcher loaded successfully.

I tried the environment variables thing and it didn’t work for me. Only an issue since last update.

I had the same issue since the last update/patch, fixed mine by uninstalling my recording software.

Which recording software did you uninstall may I ask?

Hi folks

I’m not part of the launcher team but have been involved in some of the discussions as we (launcher / engine) often investigate these issues together.

While this isn’t going to be the case for everyone, we have noticed a rise in 3rd party software which has started to interfere with both the launcher and the game client, causing them to stop launching.

In a log above, we can see “VK_MIRILLIS_LAYER” which likely relates to ‘Mirillis Action!’. We have seen this software inject and intercept calls that has caused issues with launcher and client launching. We have spoken to a few players who have confirmed removal fixed their issue.

While we will always try to work around this so you can get back into game if we can, we are quite limited in what we can do when external software injects into the launcher and client. There is simply no way we can anticipate what this process will be doing, or how it will interact.

For anyone that is having launcher or client launching issues recently: See if there is any 3rd party software that could be interfering. Typical examples include: Screen recording software, overlays (CPU/Memory stats), voice overlays (who is speaking), and multiboxing software. Try disabling / uninstalling to see if the issue persists.

While I appreciate that most people in this thread have probably already done so, updating your GPU drivers is also important. We see a number of issues from laptop users who run graphics card drivers that are years old. Even if the GPU is integrated into the CPU, it will still have drivers available with important fixes.

1 Like

Hi CCP Caffeine

Firstly thank you for replying to this post. In my instance I can confirm that although Action! was working previously with EVE no worries for at least six months, that removal of the application has allowed the launcher to load.

I am however wondering if you could please let me know if there is something specific I can point to that is causing the interference with the EVE client so I can raise the issue with Action! support.

Cheers,

Asahaar

Hi

I’m glad to hear that it resolved the issue.

I would suggest looking to see if there is an update to the software first, as we tried to replicate it internally, but could not. It looks like there have been frequest updates, some of which include stability fixes: https://mirillis.com/action-history

We found the fix through examining logs and asking others to give it a try. Given that we can’t replicate it internally, it may be some specific combination of driver version + software version which causes the issue.

The heart of the issue is how the software works (via attachment of a process / injection).
The specific problem is related to when we check for what hardware GPU acceleration is avaliable (The launcher has this as an option, along with the client requiring it), which the software intercepts and causes a problem.
Unfortunately, this interception is out of our hands (much like if anti-virus was causing a false positive). While I’ve personally not used the software, there are a few options that would resolve the issue:

• Find why the software crashes when intercepting the API call and fix it
  • Allow the option for a whitelist and whitelist the EVE launcher and game
  • Give the option to capture without the injection at all

I know very little of the actual software I’m afraid, so I can’t comment past that point. If you contact them and they require assistance, I would be happy to provide them with the information we have.

I’m running into the same issue.

Reinstalled the game several times, cannot launch through Steam. I tried running the Launcher as an administrator. Still nothing. I tried downloading the launcher stand-alone and the installer won’t even launch. I can’t discern what the problem is and I was just charged another month for a game I can’t even launch on my PC.

Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DD4 3.2GHz
RTX 2070 Super
1TB SATA SSD

For completeness for anyone reading this, I was advised by EVE support to move to the beta branch of the launcher for a week or so as they have a patch for it. It seems that the issue is acknowledged and is resolved (i.e. launcher issue)

Reinstalled Action! and all is well running on the beta launcher.

Cheers

Asahaar

PROBLEM RESOLVED. (for me atleast)

All I did was type in “Eve launcher” into my search bar the bottom left and found this.
I then proceeded to REINSTALL eve THROUGH THE LAUNCHER. And then it worked by playing eve through the launcher which I added as a new shortcut on my desktop. It didn’t work for me when I reinstalled eve through steam but worked when I reinstalled through the launcher that was already made.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.