Frigate Escape Bay - Feedback Thread

i cant test this new battleship mechanic because there is someone isboxing avatars and apostles in ca1

and ccp doesnā€™t care or want to hear about their rules being broken on their test server at all times. they might now and than but apart from that they donā€™t.

Can you gentlemen be bothered to revisit and rethink this particular aspect? Because going to war with empty bays in the carrier kind of compares to going out at night with holes in your condom.

Also could it be possible allowing people to use inties and covops as well? or at least a ā€œsimilarā€ ship to the BS being flown eg, a black ops pilot should be given the chance of getting away /changing roles with/to a covops, while a marauder pilot might rather be interested in an AF, and a top tier BS would probably want to GTFO in an inty with his slaves for instance.

Based on current game mechanics, if you are:

• undocked
  • in hisec
  • in a ship
  • have an active criminal flag

CONCORD will promptly relieve you of your ship. Avoiding that response is considered an exploit.

So, yes, if you put a frigate into the escape bay of a smartbombing battleship on a hisec gate and YOLO some shuttles, CONCORD will pop both your battleship and your ejected frigate.

CCP hasnā€™t stated that theyā€™ve changed this, so I expect this to be how it would work.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s no need to. Load the frigate and battleship into your carrierā€™s SMA/SMB separately for transport, load the frigate into the battleship upon arrival. Based on dev responses above, it should even possible to eject both ships and have a player board the frigate, and then the battleship, while in space if need be.

Allowing battleships with frigates loaded into the frigate bay would artificially inflate carrying capacity of any ship with a large enough SMA/SMB.

Insta-aligning interceptors or CovOps frigates would have far too much GTFO power. My understanding is that this change is about giving pilots a chance to fight on, not a ā€œget out of jail with my High Grade Slaves freeā€ card.

2 Likes

Now, this is interesting. Can faction frigates be carried in the Frigate Escape Bays as well i.e. if you fly a Megathron, you can have a Astero or Damavik in the bay?

Also, if you find this feature is successful, could the same be done with Capitals - you lose a Capital, you drop into space with a Cruiser, Battlecruiser or Battleship?

1 Like

Thereā€™ve been a lot of ā€˜they havenā€™t said they changed thisā€¦ā€™ that turned out to have been changed. So, yeah, asking for clarification.

1 Like

Faction Frigs are technically T1 frigates soā€¦ without additional clarification, it seems you can.

2 Likes

Agreed, and Iā€™d like to hear from CCP on this, but changing something like this and not announcing it would be a SNAFU of truly epic proportions.

EDIT: In particular thoughā€¦assuming that CONCORD pops your frigate after itā€™s ejected, how long will it take? Will the same CONCORD spawn that killed your battleship also kill your frigate, or will a new one show up instead? Because if itā€™s the latter, you may at least have a few moments to do a bit more damage to something before you die.

1 Like

I want to place a shuttle in the bay for no other reason than to be able say I have a ā€œCaptainā€™s Shuttleā€

3 Likes

Fly a Nestor. The Ship Maintenance Bay has room for a shuttle.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the objective here? I get bubbled in my Machariel, but since I canā€™t have an interceptor in the ship, my frigate is immediately bubbled and it dies too. Eventually they shoot my pod.

What for?

1 Like

If you are in a fleet of Machā€™s and are one of the unlucky first ones to die, you might just be able to sneak out of the bubble and/or ECM, target paint, etc. something while waiting to die the second time.

However, if you are concerned about that, just donā€™t put a frigate in the Frigate Escape Bay.

WHICH frigate would you chose, and WHY?
Somehow this question has been pestering me. Here are my thunkinā€™s so far:

1. Magnate. With four low slots and cargo expansion rigs, this little goofball ship can hold an extraordinary amount of loot as well as a crappy cloak. If NPC rats kill you maybe you can salvage your own wreck or even loot a battlefield. It costs about nothing, can get you out of wormhole space.

2. Astero. Can carry a surprisingly large payload and still align under 2 seconds and covert cloak. Loot your own wreck AND get the booty home, even from wormhole space. Maybe even with some ninja relic stuff.

3. Little Logi. Frigate logi is something like 1/3 a logi cruiser so as ships die fleet logi resources grow if they are organized, experienced pilots. Interestingā€¦ that could change fleet battles.

1 Like

If the NPC rats can kill your battleship. They can kill your Magnate while you sit there salvaging.

Pro Tip: Donā€™t just sit there. Good point though- how close to your wreck does the escape frigate appear in space?

1 Like

Itā€™s easy for you to say right now, having absolutely no idea how this actually works.

So what ship would YOU put in your bay, and why?

That would depend on the purpose, wouldnā€™t it?
Also, what does that have anything to do with the original point?
I wasnā€™t pointing out a problem with your frigate choices.

I was pointing out a problem with what you do immediately afterwards.

I told you my ship choices and why. Be Bob, not Negative Nabob of Negativity.
Tell me WHAT SHIP you would put in there and WHY. I dare you.

Back in the day in Vanguard Incursions one wanted a Heron to drop in to the OTA site to hack the logistics control array. I bet I have done it over a thousand times. Iā€™ve dropped my little scout heron LeRoy style in to other incursion sites to draw the rats closer to the landing zone to cut the closing time for the fleet that was 20 seconds behind me outside the pocket still warping to the gate.

A frigate has a really small sig radius. Try locking one from a battleship. Try smart bombing one- they donā€™t much care. Try hitting one with a torpedo. Donā€™t just sit there and donā€™t turn on a mwd.