From Extraction to Production

Restrictions like that won’t help: if hostiles are spotted coming towards the miners they don’t have a combat timer yet and could instantly conduit jump to safety taking even the slow AFK miners with them.
Current situation: the miners need several seconds to align and warp to tether and the AFK miners get caught.

Conduit jump for Rorquals removes risk and possibility of confict for miners from the game and would therefore be bad.

If the Rorqual gets an industrial jump bridge but no conduit jump, it will be required to stay in system to let the non-afk miners to safety, which has nearly the same result (miners jump to safety) but rewards active play and creates possibility of fights as the Rorqual stays behind while he does that.

Bingo, you agree that it is a progression mechanic.

And my opinion is they are useless after these changes. 20+ hours to compress the ore from a moon? That’s just tedium. When you look at progressing from a Dread to a Titan you’re looking forward to bridging and DDs. Rorqs aren’t going to provide anything compelling to strive for.

Rorqs were the endgame, but you had a nice long journey to reaching it, 350+ days of training. Now you can fly the best mining ship in 30 days which is the point I’m making, the mining career has lost a long term hook to keep people subbed and keep toys out in space to be dropped upon.

Hello fellow miners & idiots @ CCP,

I have been an industrial miner since Feb 2009. As such I can honestly tell you this is the worst upgrade I ever heard of. There are many proposed changes coming to bear upon the industrial way of life in New Eden and whilst the largest portions thereof have been sorta hard to comprehend at present… I was definitely not lost on the notion that most of these changes basically unnecessary, unwarranted, and/or unwanted.

CASE IN POINT: CCP has proposed that it is of the utmost importance to include separate ore holds now, for both ice and gas materiel on all Porpoises. \o/ - Out freaking standing… that will give us 60,000 m3 for ores, 60,000 m3 for ice, and 60,000 m3 for gas, for a grand total of 180,000 m3 materiel storage on the same ship. Now I don’t know what the rest of you thinking but it seems self evident to me that CCP is not in this particular instance. So my question is basically this: ‘What good is this gonna do for you ?’ I mean how many times have you run up on a roid belt that contained ice in it, or how many ice belts have you ever mined that contained moon goo…?

I’m just a poor old country boy here peeps, but we have a saying here on the farm. “That’s as useless as teats on a boar hog” . You wanna do us a favor CCP… I suggest giving the presently configured Porpoise’s one and only ore hold a 25% increase and just said thank you for being a loyal customer that or Merry Freakin Christmas…

2 Likes

Also, the Rorqual is not cheaper than a carrier. It’s a lot more expensive, and so does the cost of jumping it around.

Let’s also be honest, spreading around combat ships from a Rorqual is just a none issue.

Why? Think about it , 1 mill m3 SMB? That’s 8-14 HACs. And sweet I can literally jump it into battle 10 light years out and help fit out a dozen pilots that lost their ship. Brilliant. It might turn the tide of the battle, it might not.

But who gives a ■■■■ compared to what I can do now which is :

A JF it with 33 HACs in cargo jumps to target system and dock, assemble it in 2 mins and put it all on contract or just hand it out like Candy to everyone in station. That’s literally what I did in WWB2, and with 4 Arks not just one. That’s 132 HACs instantly to a target station, 10 light years, and I can do that every 10mins.
If no one is angry over this, then no one should be angry over a Rorq with combat ships in their SMB.

The point is , when it comes “spreading combat ships around” , there are more efficient (and frankly overpowered” ways of doing it).

And if it really IS an issue, the correct way of addressing that problem would be add a restriction where as “jumping a Rorq with combat ships in SMB” removes the jump fatigue bonus from the Rorqual for that jump, and reduces the light year jump range to 6, like carriers.

The solution is not to outright remove combat ships from the SMB. It kills off a whole range of possible play styles cause of it.

You can get ships and items from the LP store, and thereby completely bypass the manufacturing chain.

LP store ships and items have a tendency to be valued higher in isk then their player-constructed counterparts. Eve is about ISK asset value destruction these days, and people using more “expensive” items will help acchieve this goal. How often did you see CCP brag about the amount of isk, or plexed realworld trade value, destroyed ingame, and how often did you see them surveying about players liking the engagements they have?

“Good Content” in the year 2021:

Nullsec: Anchor on FC and hit F1 on your 9 Muninn alts, then re-anchor on the FC after he fleet warped the Muninns and hit F1 again. Might lose some Muninns over failing to realize that the FC has fleet warped, but that doesn’t matter because the Alliance will recompensate them.
Lowsec: Sit on a stargate with smartbomb battleships and have spider tanking logi alts repair whatever damage the gate deals for the hole day.
Wormhole: Be cloaked the whole day, but even in the year 2021 the most important rule about wormholes, which is that all signatures need to be invested, prevails, and you scan the signatures before you transcend into cloakyness. As you find things that might be interesting while scanning for signatures, online more alts to send into the signatures / connecting wormholes and have them cloak there.
Highsec: Either run the repetitive NPC missions, or find something that won’t shoot back and kill it. Might fail to kill it in time, or you might be surprised that the target was bait and you got killed by it instead. CCP has repeatedly stated they want players to “progress” into nullsec and wormhole space.
Abyss: The Abyss running bot crashes while you’re in the abyss, and as you never really ran an abyss manually, you end up losing the expensive Gila and the implants. It was more expensive then most people’s dreadnaughts, but because no other player got the killmail, your alliance won’t trash talk to you, and in the aftermath you get excited over other fits that you could try before deciding you’ll go with the same Gila fit / Implant set once again.

A rorqual uses less fuel than a carrier to jump further than a carrier and it incurs a much smaller Fatigue penalty per jump (90% less in fact)

A carrier also only has 1M m³ SMB space, but it cannot jump as far or as often as a Rorqual.

JF have no combat capabilities, no remote repair capabilities, no damage capabilities and you have to fit the ships. You cannot move your whole hangar of fitted ships like a carrier if you move shop or staging. A Rorqual and Carrier can do that without destroying rigs, for instance.

That’s not the same as moving a whole alliance or coalition of combat read ships with fewer mids and faster speed around the cluster. Even if you turned off the fatigue bonus if combat ships are in the SMB, you still have more range and thus move faster. Moving ships in via a JF to hand out for battle is not the same as moving all these fitted ships by the individual members from staging to staging. The one thing is called logistics, the other is called move op.

Special rules just to make it happen? Great.

REDNES

2 Likes

It’s going to take you much longer than 30 days to fly the ‘best mining ship’ and fly it well. Exhumers 5 and t2 mining crystals and good drone skills will take you significantly more than 30 days.

And once someone can fly Exhumers with the best crystals they might have made some mining friends that they would like to support, which gives them a new goal to train for: Orcas and Rorquals.

I don’t see how these changes have changed any of that.

A solo miner might skip that last step, but solo players skip a lot of things in this game so I don’t see a problem with that.

2 Likes

And see that’s exactly right. Now the opponent has invested a 8-9b ship on field to supply ships and help to support the fight through dps and reps.
Why is this a bad thing? You can now call in your dreads or more friends and pop it, giving everyone a nice killmail.

And if not, the hero Rorq comes in and helped his small gang to victory cause the enemy suddenly got outgunned )1.5k dps and out repped 2-3k EHP reps on a friendly HAC…

Great story regardless. Seriously, why is this a bad thing … sigh.

You’d rather Rorqs stay the way they are, loot pinyatas for Kiki fleets with OP mining boost without any other sort of dynamic gameplay where they unsiege and dock up when a neut shows up 10 jumps away?

That would also mean no longer doubling the resources in belts and anoms. You sure that’s what you want?

I disagree when you say there’d be no longer doubling of resources. Surely the point is that we’re entering a period of abundance. There’s no rule that says you can’t have one without the other. Keep the doubling of resources, but do away with waste aspect. From my reading of other posts, it’s the waste aspect that’s proving controversial.

it appears Moon Goo can only be compressed by Rorqs… if my take on this is correct, then why are Hi Sec Moon Goo miners in 0.5 Hi Sec systems being penalised ?

Yep. Rorquals have to sit in dangerous space to compress moon ore. But there is no change for hisec. It’s not a penalty.

I accept your comment that there’s no ‘actual’ change for hi sec, again, there’s no obvious reason why it could not be introduced. I have mined Moon Goo extensively in Hi and Lo sec, and believe me, it is frustrating when it comes to transporting it out to where its needed the most.

We used to have this. It was called carriers in a Wrecking Ball. CCP killed this feature long ago because it was impossible to balance. You want this to return and CCP Rattatata liked the idea even.

Your suggestion is not going to work against Kiki fleets at all. By the time you have switched your few miner barges on a Rorqual into combat ships, they will have picked off all your switching ships one by one before they can even organize.

All your suggestion will enable is cheaper and easier movement of ships. Your pipedream of people switching ships on grid is as useless as the Frig Escape bay or the Recloner, and an equally DOA feature.

REDNES

Your proposed change (combat ships in SMB) would turn the Rorqual into a unique invaluable combat asset completely unrelated to mining that can deploy fit combat ships further out, faster and cheaper than other capitals currently can.

1 Like

lp stores are in certain system with the new store you will redeem the ship you bought in your station.
about ccp bragging just check their interviews .game is ■■■■ now days and it is because of ccp

1 Like

Special rules are already in effect with the Rorq being the only SMB that can’t fit combat ships.

I don’t see why it can’t be flipped and instead, jumps as far as a carrier with fatigue bonus removed when fitted with combat ships.

The way I see it , the only group that suffers from a combat ship SMB Rorq are small gang whale hunters.

Remember when people figured out how to min max after a new update instead of crying cause their RMT empire might take a hit?

2 Likes

You know what I want Rorquals to be? This:

Balanced, limited, with a clear purpose and nothing else, and requiring tactical decisions instead of just dumping more on field.

REDNES

People are already using the Rorqual as a uniquely invaluable combat asset completely unrelated to mining.

1. A HIC with max heavy scram mids to tackle titans and supers.
  2. A capital heavy neut that destroys triage capital capacitor.

And guess what, no one bats an eye.

But a combat ship Rorq SMB that CAN directly support the safety of a mining fleet that stops them all from being Hulk killmails and giving everyone on field a fun fight? God forbid this abomination from ever coming into effect rofl.

2 Likes

It’s pointless on most ships, but the porpoise, with the right fit, can acutally be a pretty nice hauler, by which I don’t mean it’s hauling ores from the barges to the refinery, but it’s hauling compressed ores from the Refinery to Jita. With the ability to also load compressed ice (and compressed gas) on top of loading compressed ores, it will now be able to haul considerably more compressed goo, assuming ice / gas that needs to be moved is available where the ore also is … or goes to.

It’s nice that people have thought of non-mining-related combat situations in which the Rorqual works well, but that should not be a reason to also make it better in other non-mining combat situations.

A similar example:
The Venture can sucesfully be used as tackle ship. That is not a problem.

If the Venture were a better tackle ship than the ships designed for tackle, there would be a problem.

Likewise it is fine if the Rorqual can be useful in combat, yet it is not fine if they can supply combat fleets faster, further and cheaper than carriers.

2 Likes

Also, all this nonsense is diverting from the key issue that the proposed mining changes are so ill-judged as to be beyond belief.

1 Like

If you think Wrecking Ball will make a come back with a fleet of Rorquals, m8 you’re more out of touch than I thought.

Wrecking ball was strong cause there was

1. No hard cap to drone assist. 250 carriers can assist everything to the FC and 1 shot someone.
    This, is no longer possible.

2. Carriers are able to rep each other, and receive reps in exchange, making them near immortal.
    Out of curiosity have you tried repping something with a Rorqual out of siege? It’s a joke. A single sub cap logi reps more than an unsieged Rorqual.

3. And if the Rorq does dare to siege up, it receives zero remote reps. It’s a dead duck the moment you can outdps it’s local tank (which is albeit considerable). The point being, it’s no longer impossible to kill.

So if you’re sitting here making claims of a Rorqual Wrecking ball comeback , you simply don’t know what you’re talking about game mechanics wise.