Gankers and freighters, a request for discussion. Not a BJ RANT

You worked hard for it. All that made up “intel” about CODE. and Goon connections finally payed out.

Is my understanding/summary below correct?

A ship can be bumped 50 times, in unique events, regardless of the bumping ship, after which every subsequent bump has a 5% chance of causing the next bumping ship to go suspect?

Example: If theoretically 52 ships lined up to bump one target, and hit it in sequence, the 51st ship that bumps it has a 5% chance to go suspect, as does the 52nd ship? And a single ship that bumped the target a 51st time, would have 5% chance of going suspect?

Issue:
Deliberately bumping your own ship 50 times, so that if something else collides with it at greater velocity (I assume bumper/bumped would he differentiated by velocity of each, the slower ship being identified as the bumped), they constitute the 51st bump counter and are subject to 5% chance of going suspect.

Is that why you propose “Freighters, Jump Freighters, Orca’s, Bowheads, DST’s, and Industrials” would be immune to cause bump counters on any another ship?

How adamant are you on the 5% chance to go suspect?
Seems very small to me.
How about if it scaled by 5% additive for each subsequent bump?
Such that 5 bumps past 50, would cause a 25% chance of going suspect?

Each ship bumping another ship causes a bump event which has the 50 bump counter, when that reaches 50 bumpers then there is a 5% chance that they will go suspect, if of course they are not exempt.

No because that is why I have a bump event.

Because I wanted to blok this which is why I decided taht a bump event between the two ships was required.

I added mining barges and exhumers to that list too.

Those ships are static and easy to bump, they are targets and as such they are not that good at bumping, so having them exempt stops people just bumping them to get a suspect event.

It was a suggestion, could be higher or as you suggested.

Now im confused again.

Are the bump counters added to the bumping ship, or the bumped ship?

It is an event between the two ships, they both have the counter which details their interaction.

What happens with capsuleers who have their safety set green?

Not saying one way or the other whether the idea is good, just raising an issue that is at odds with the way crimewatch works and the whole purpose of safety - to prevent someone from committing an act that would flag them in crimewatch at a level less than what they specifically choose.

At first thought, it would be logical to say that if you bump a ship 50 times, then that is a deliberate choice, so your safety should set to yellow on bump 50.

However, it isn’t a personal 50, it a 50 on the bumped ship. So taking Salvos point above about deliberate bumping your own ship to give it a counter, someone with their safety set green, could theoretically only bump once accidentally and go suspect.

That seems very against the way safety works.

1 Like

Im still having trouble understanding.

Could you provide an example of how this would play out in practice?
Lets say we have 1 freighter and 2 Machs bumping it.

It overrides the safety.

The event is between two ships, so bumping another ship would create another counter.

1 Like

Each Macherial would have a bump event with the freighter and each could bump it 50 times before they risked going suspect. The freighter would have two counters, but of course would not risk going suspect as it is exampt.

So each ship involved in a bump, receives a bump counter, regardless of whether they are the bumper or the bumped?

(Immunity not withstanding, for this question)

What does “BJ rant” stands for ?

Yes, however the exempt ships and ship types do not risk going suspect.

It does increase risk for BS, BC’s for example which is why I made the Maruader exempt while in bastion.

Would it perhaps be simpler to apply the counter only to the bumped ship?

Such that the system determines which ship is moving at greater velocity at the time of impact, and the slower ship at that moment is designated as the “bumped” ship and receives the bump counter?

Such that any one ship can only be bumped 50 times, by anyone else, no matter how many others, until the 51st bumper incurs a risk of 5% of going suspect?

That would enable your scenario to be used where people bump a freighter 49 times then park it outside Jita undock and then let it be bumped and people go suspect. You would be handing Ima and people like her what they want…

Considering that this thread is about two entities ramming into each other, i would guess that this thread came to life out of sexual frustration.

6 Likes

I was actually thinking that while being bumped for three hours you could get multiple BJ’s…

2 Likes

Do you genuinely prefer your proposal, instead of the otherwise largely agreed to max limit on bumping, as a max warp off timer (undefined as of yet, somewhere between 15-30mins)?

In other words, is your proposal for purposes of exploring other options, or because you prefer if to the hard-limit on warping off due to bumping?

The hard-cap timer has a large degree of consensus here, and is very simple.

For example, I proposed a mechanic where velocity in any direction is sufficient to engage warp (owing to unique physics of a bump). I dropped it in favor of the far simpler hard-cap on warp out due to bumping.

Classic BJ Artist would have a field day.

2 Likes

In the context of the OP:

BJ = Burn Jita

I prefer Solstice’s explanation.

5 Likes

Consensus on a hard-cap for how long a ship can be prevented from warping via bumping seems to be pretty wide.

Suggestions range from 15-30mins, on both extremes.

Questions:

• How will bumper/bumped be distinguished? By velocity perhaps?

• What if the target is successfully pointed? How will that impact the hard-cap on warping out?

• Should this be implemented sector specifically, (for example only in HS), universally, or in each sector with a different hard-cap duration?