Ganking and PVP: Numbers in perspective

That’s what that “other fellah” admitted in the end, in a rare moment of honesty: that he had tried to “reason” with “gankers” at first, but they wouldn’t “budge” (which he thought they had to, apparently). So then he made it his mission to “fight” them in a “no quarter” style. It is costing him more forum alts than anyone else. Bottom line, that “other fellah” and those who are “not him” or just happen to mimick him don’t give a S*** about data, reasons, game or other players. He’s on a crusade, indeed.

2 Likes

When you think about it, there’s not a lot of evidence that any EvE players think ganking is griefing, unbalanced, or a problem. Who comes to these forums and complains about being ganked, or griefed, and talks about how unfair and difficult and terrible it is? Like, basically nobody, ever. There’s just no real direct evidence that anyone is bothered by it, or sees a problem. Of course, there are people who don’t want to be ganked, but there’s not actually any complaints - it’s a PvP game, and people understand that.

Basically the only person talking about “ganking is griefing” is this one person, and their alts, none of whom have any active killboards showing any ingame activity. Even antigankers acknowledge that ganking is a legitimate part of the game, without which they have no meaningful content - and that person is so out of touch with reality, that they called Githany Red a ganker alt!

2 Likes

I’ll need to see more data on that.

To get a teeny bit back on track, the OP and intent of the thread, at least, was never about ganking new players and what that may or may not do to retention.

That may be a significant issue and CCP may have data on that, but if so I’ve never seen anything to indicate it. Over quite a few years I’ve spent a lot of time in the help and rookie help channels, and I’ve rarely seen truly new, “I’m doing the career agent” level of rookies, complain about a gank.

In fact the only kill on my killboard is specifically due to one of the few complaints I’ve ever seen, about a pilot repeatedly ganking new players (in a career agent system even) and CCP not doing anything about it. So I podded over, grabbed the crapfit Heron I’d left there from my own Career Agents, and recorded what he did and how he did it, and reported him.

I’ve looked at zKillboard data many times. Unfortunately there’s no way to tell “new” players directly there without a lot of tedious “look up on zKill, then look up pilot elsewhere for employment history, then guess”. So I don’t have “data” accumulated there, but I can say that the relative number of ganks that look like “new” players seems quite small.

At any rate, it’s a red herring and a side topic. We don’t have enough data to determine ganking effects, just informed guesswork.

What we do know is that the size of the ganking issue of players of all ages, while significant, is not in the same class as the size of the “Players who quit before really trying out EVE” issue, and given player trends over the past decade, the “players who quit because EVE isn’t interesting anymore” issue.

Boredom and tedious gameplay are much bigger issues for CCP to deal with.

I see some posters getting frustrated and asking for thread cleanup or closure. Certainly there’s a lot of repetition, personal animosity, tinfoil hatting and derailment going on. But since that pertains directly to one of the points of the thread (how much argument vs. how much actual ganking) I’m not planning to flag anything or ask for cleanup.

It’s quite literally data (of a rather fuzzy kind) creating itself.

1 Like

You actually haven’t disproven anything I’ve posted. You’ve entirely gaslit yourself into believing what fits your narrative and nothing else. You and your like are a plague on this game and community.

But no worries, the game will be completely dead soon anyways. Hell, it’s already dead if you ask me. A ■■■■■■■ husk. Completely destroyed by the entitlement of folks just like you who think they should have all the benefits of the player-driven market that PvP enables without having to face any of the PvP yourself.

Entitled to the max.

2 Likes

All bs with no proof. You talk a big game about “facts and statistics” and then try to “slide” this one in. It’s straight out manipulative. You’re so convinced that you’re the good guy and b cause of that you’re right.

Turns out there aren’t “good guys” in this game and you’re horribly wrong but you probably know this. Just another spiteful bear trying to burn the game that burned them.

1 Like

Tons of ganks still quite profitable, lots of gankers making profit. It’s sad that you and your friends are bad at it, but if you watch some videos you may be able to learn how to do it better.

If some gankers choose to throw a half-dozen Tornadoes away on fairly empty freighters, that’s not an indication ganking is unprofitable. It shows just how much profit they’re making, if they can afford to do that for laughs.

At any rate, the profit or loss of ganking has never been my point. You simply posted disinformation on the issue, so I posted facts.

I’ve stated multiple times that I’m fine with ganking as a game mechanic. The OP is written about my belief that ganking causes far more argument than is warranted. Do you even think for 10 seconds before you write, or is it all just knee-jerk insta-vomit of angry, unsupported opinion?

So, I’m saying that I’ve never seen evidence that new players get ganked in significant numbers. That I consider it a non-issue. And you’re claiming this is some false BS that I’m trying to “slide” in and being manipulative about?

If you feel that new player ganking really is a huge issue, and I’m wrong about it, feel free to provide any actual evidence you have on the matter. Or, you know, just continue making a fool of yourself. I’m fine with that.

2 Likes

You seem to regard any disagreement as an insult. Why does it not surprise me that someone hell bent on victim status wants to use ‘poor noobs’ as a cover for changes to Eve.

1 Like

The fact that you don’t realize we are the same people, is sufficient evidence to conclude you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.

It’s cool to speculate as an uninformed outsider, but the people who actually gank are probably the ones who know about ganking - whereas you are just theorycrafting with random thoughts based on no apparent experience.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, perhaps you didn’t realize I’m replying to Bladewise’s statements of the situation, not something I’m making up “as an uninformed outsider”.

So, if you’re the friends he’s talking about, then it’s kinda sad that you need $800/m just to gank freighters and still not make a profit.

And if that isn’t the case, then perhaps you should take the issue of not knowing what’s being talked about with the guy who’s doing the talking.

3 Likes

It’s kinda sad that you are continuing to talk about ganking, as if you have a clue what you are talking about, when you certainly don’t. Why don’t you ask a ganker about ganking, instead of writing long speculative internet essays?

It’s amazing how many zero killboard know-it-alls keep showing up to provide us with their detailed turbo analysis and tell us, the gankers, the TRUTH about ganking.

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Closed. This has devolved:

1. Specifically restricted conduct.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to courteous when disagreeing with others.

In order to maintain an environment where everyone is welcome and discussion flows freely, certain types of conduct are prohibited on the EVE Online forums. These are:

• Trolling
  • Flaming
  • Ranting
  • Personal Attacks
  • Harassment
  • Doxxing
  • Racism & Discrimination
  • Hate Speech
  • Sexism
  • Spamming
  • Bumping
  • Off-Topic Posting
  • Pyramid Quoting
  • Rumor Mongering
  • New Player Bashing
  • Impersonation
  • Advertising

3. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online if it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

4 Likes