Ganking has gone too far

I hear neuts jams DPS RR and counter bumps are all viable options for those who wish to resist instead of pay. Thoughts?

Thats assuming that the person who is doing the neuting, jamming, DPS and RR is not AFK.

If you want to spend hours just overlooking a mining op, be my guest. But if even for a second, your eyes wander off into another screen or alt-tabbed out, you are afk and therefore will not be able to save anything.

Welcome to defending?

I am always defending the weak and helpless. Its in my nature.

1 Like

This sounds like you think we should earn popularity and love the way decent players do, through boring PVE…?

I love this flavor of tears, the old “I’m a hard working carebear and you gankers are lazy for playing the way you do, go grind like normal people!!!1!” lolololololol

3 Likes

That is false. Just because 70% of players are in HS does not mean that 70% of wealth and primary targets in the game are there. In case you haven’t noticed we have ceirtain regions that are so off the scale in the game in this regard they had to have their own charts added in the MERs. Concentrate on those, then you’ll get the destruction of assets you seek.

A lot of the stuff getting blown up in HS is like swatting flies while the cash cow targets remain untouched.

And I agree with the OP. I am not a part of either side at this time, but I was a bit of both a few years ago, and the mechanics and proliferation of super cheap ganking has gotten much worse since then. My char which used to be main back then could super easily be used for this, since his faction and sec are completely screwed up anyways and I have no intention whatsoever to work on getting any of it back. Much easier to use other characters now.

To me there are 2 fundimental flaws with the system as it is.

1st ganking is just too cheap. you should require at least the firepower equal in ISK to what you are taking out hull/fit wise, this is currently not even close.

2nd, the faction / sec standings don’t mean anything, as in zip, zero nada for practical consequences since we all use dedicated characters for it anyways. They need to make life miserable within appropriate space upon undock or arriving near a gate or other concord / faction navy registered structure.

Those 2 things need to be fixed.

3 Likes

You are not meant to mine AFK, you are meant to play the game and if you do escaping a gank should be almost guaranteed especially compared to mining AFK.

Be more specific, please. This sounds like a blanket statement to me with absolutely no factual support. You might as well have said the exact opposite with the total absence of facts you’re providing. Actually, I’m aware of at least one change that would prove the exact opposite of what you’re saying, and that’s the removal of insurance for concorded ships… So what exactly is it that has changed in the last few years that has made ganking so much cheaper?

I love how everyone wanting to see suicide ganking nerfed thinks there is just one or two things that need to be “adjusted” or “fixed”… too bad the one thing that one player thinks should be “fixed” is different from the one thing another player thinks should be “fixed”… What all usually have in common are the “reasons” given, which are the same in nearly all cases, that is, personal preference and subjective perception of the “problem”, with absolutely no factual support…

And things should be that way exactly why? When have things ever been that way before? What exactly is it that changed in the last few years that made this worse and needs to be fixed?

They mean exactly what they’re intended to mean, in particular that other players can freely shoot at them. I enjoy doing that myself.

Again, what has changed in the last few years that has made suicide ganking so much easier in this regard and needs to be fixed?

Not sure what changes exactly are you suggesting here… And whatever those changes are, things should be the way you want exactly why? Other than that would be your personal preference, that is…

Because you say so and no other reason has to be given…

3 Likes

This is largely already true. Ganking is balanced so that it costs more in firepower to solo gank almost any normally fit combat ship in highsec - which is why they are rarely ganked. If you factor in insurance, this is even true for industrial ships like mining barges - even the small window where a single destroyer can destroy an under-tanked mining barge in a 0.5, the fact only one side get insurance means it is at best a break even proposition for the ganker.

In other cases the solo ganker loses many-fold more than the target, such as is the case for Thrashers ganking pods, shuttles and corvettes, while for some ship classes, like Orcas and Freighters, it is literally impossible to solo gank them. As a result, almost every ship in higsec is left alone aside from ones with blinged out fits or excessive cargo.

The only way suicide ganking is usually profitable is for many players/characters to gang up on a target to significantly lower the cost.

Life is already miserable for negative security status character in highsec. The literally cannot do anything by zip about in a fast-aligning ship and shoot something for 20 seconds every 15 minutes. Even just sitting in space results in their rapid explosion.

I take your point that alternate characters can circumvent some of this restriction, but I see no fix for it, and if if there was by some miracle a fix or we had only one character, what would stop other characters from supplying logistics to criminals for a fee?

Criminals are suppose to exist in highsec in this game and they do. Until you establish an actual problem here with the game, I see no reason to declare fixes are necessary to a non-problem.

5 Likes

Depends a lot on what your design goal is. It is very clear that CCP does not intend EVE to be “Hello Kitty in Space”. It is safe to say that the devs want you to feel a little moment of apprehension every time you click that undock button. “Is it safe to take out this ship with this fitting at this time?”
With the power creep in ship and modules, and player efforts on documenting all PvE content there is very little risk left in highsec (the ship limitation on Abyssal space indicate that CCP has also identified this as an issue). So praise to James315 for bringing back that tingle of apprehension.

2 Likes

Wow, WTF has happened to you Moe?

1 Like

That actually would be funny.
Imagine the cargospace around the freighter filled with extra hard deadspace modules, tanking more damage more powerful they are, more is their cost. But there would be a side effect. Cargo would be destroyed in effect.

Now imagine proposition like that getting even 1 vote from either of sides of that struggle. Imagin impossible. :sunglasses:

#NotTheRealMobadder

:sob:

2 Likes

Some might say it has not gone far enough.

2 Likes

:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:
Some people can’t be rescued

2 Likes

Off topic

You ever on discord?

1 Like

Will say hello there

heres an idea, save all that money youd be loosing with freighters and invest in a JUMP freighter, and learn various techniques jumping, suicide cynos, other means of supportive roles.

ISK tank is not, should not, and hopefully will never be a thing.
Paying attention tank is best tank.
You don’t need to soak hits that land where you are not.
I can legitimately murder a half billion ship in ‘honorable’ combat with a 43 million ship.
Is it fair? Absolutely. Your wallet does not determine your effectiveness in the game.
It simply determines the options you have available to you.
Paying attention is free, not bothering to can cost you dearly.

6 Likes

The problem with permits is getting them is cumbersome. I for one will never buy a permit until I can do that off the market… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl: