Gate guns

So, just one questions about gate guns in low sec, how good those actually are against gate camps? From what size the gate camp force can ignore those? I.E. tank their damage long enough to catch and kill their prey?

I am asking from the point of view of prey :slight_smile: I kinda like the PVP features of Eve, playing cat and mouse with people that are trying to catch you can be quite fun - especially if I manage to escape :slight_smile: (if not oh well, got more ships to fly anyway, losing them is part of the game).

From my experience if I get caught gate guns do not make much difference, I gues it just make attacker leave and come back again after their kill?

2 Likes

Gate guns put out 176 dps omni damage with perfect tracking, so they are effective against small light ships (eg. tackle) that try to stay on grid, however:

1. they only attack when they observe an illegal act within their range (150 km), but don’t subsequently attack if the attacker warps off and back again with the target still on grid

2. they switch targets every minute

As a result:

• if a camp has enough alpha and or tank to kill a target, then they don’t need logi. They can just kill the target, warp to a ping and warp back to gate for the next target

• if a camp has logi, they can easily tank the gate guns in a longer engagement, even for their small tackle

• if a gate camp has enough ships, then the ships that get initial tackle can easily warp to a ping off the gate and then warp back to the gate and the guns won’t re-engage them on the same target they are shooting at

4 Likes

Most low sec gate campers are ready for the guns and have specific tactics to reduce thier effectiveness.

Campers often use the popular tutorial ship Gnosis, makes the gate guns nearly worthless. Wouldn’t trust them for survival.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info :slight_smile:

3 Likes

if a gate camp has enough ships, then the ships that get initial tackle can easily warp to a ping off the gate and then warp back to the gate and the guns won’t re-engage them on the same target they are shooting at

While certainly police involvement is not permitted in lowsec, I’m sure there is a reason why guns were placed on lowsec gates. They either should be removed entirely, or buffed. This mechanic is not acting as the consequence it should be.

1 Like

They might not be acting as the consequence that some think it should be, but they act perfectly as the consequence that CCP think it should be.

4 Likes

To stop lone gankers having fun.

Do you have a CCP reference for this?

Yes. Lowsec is still Empire space, although CONCORD are too scared to respond there.

So the Empires have infrastructure in lowsec, even if they only police the most extreme crimes and otherwise let capsuleers sort out their own disagreements in most locations.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.