Get rid of dscan hotkey already!

its still limiting the user mistake further tho, i think someone falling asleep at the wheel simply shouldn’t deserve to fly.

There was TiDi in Jita every 30 minutes at the weekend whenever a couple of hundred Goons showed up to gank a freighter. It really doesn’t take much. Full TiDi too, not just a little bit.

I honestly thought that was only a thing I would get to experience if I ever saw / took part in a battle with thousands of players clashing, but seeing the game struggle so much during Burn Jita makes me realise how fragile the TiDi free performance I was taking for granted is.

1 Like

If a player falls asleep, the d-scan module wont help them.

As to “limiting” player mistakes, its a module which takes a slot (ie: PG/CPU/Cap and perhaps other penalties), so its a compromise.

Speaking of penalties, a sig bloom would be rational imo while the module is actively running, thus making probing of a d-scan module using ship easier, as well as initiating aggression if you arrive undetected before they react.

1 Like

And here I was thinking the reason D-Scan wasn’t automated was just so that the server wouldn’t melt from the constant database queries that come from using D-Scan. And EVE’s servers aren’t your run-of-the-mill servers either.

Imagine having an average of 20000 people asking the server every 10 seconds what the fudge is around them, even when that information isn’t relevant to what they are doing? The lag would murder us.

Also, remember when you had to manually press a button to use D-Scan? Good times.

2 Likes

You arent making sense.

A module sending a command every 10s is less impact than a player spamming d-scan every second.

As to issue in massive fleet battles, why would you sacrifice a slot to send an automatic d-scan command every 10s (as dilated by TiDi) rather than just spamming the d-scan command as you can already do?

Think.

They are already doing it. Once every single second. Fully automated.
Ever heard of something called “overview”?

This is not accurate.

D-scan and overview are very different systems.
Its complicated, but it involves grids and other differences.

no just no, i dont want it automated, i bloody use it to hunt people with, why the hell would i want it automated???

How many people were in local of Jita during the weekend? More then 4000.
So you were in a system with thousands of other people and then tidi happens. Nothing new or different.

Remember, the Jita “node” is taking care of the entire system and during burn jita, there were alot more people there then ussual and alot more stuff happening then ussual.

But i was surprised aswell, I dunno if Goons acutally told CCP what they were planning on doing. If they didnt CCP didnt have a chance to reinforce the node that handles JIta.

1 Like

Actually at the moment when big fights happens server already loaded so heavy so it doesn’t make the job. Many of players simply being lost their connection during this. And “big” here means near 1000 players in location which really means a small number.

So there’s some problems with game perfomance, with server. And I’m sure once they being solved instant D-scan will not be trouble.

And btw this is not player’ problems that developers created the game with low productivity.

P.S.: I’m afraid there are dozens of processes that simply trashing the game. They easilly could be removed. And btw one of players once had an idea that EVE may contain bitcoin-mining code in it - there had been unexpected raise in PC load after another update.

I don’t remember seeing Local go too far above the usual 2000 or so. I have screenshots of some of the ganks but I’m not at home right now so I can’t check the number on Local at the moment. I could be wrong. Will have a look later.

Was new to me. I’ve never experienced full TiDi and the horrible lag that came with Burn Jita. It occurred when just 169 Coercers warped in to attack a Jump Freighter, for example. Of course there’s also the countless Concord ships spawned in response which really doesn’t help.

Like I said, I was expecting this kind of thing to occur if I saw / took part in a battle with thousands of players. Not the usual 1500 - 2000 that are always in Jita and a few hundred extra ganking Jump Freighters.

I don’t think Burn Jita should have created full TiDi and enough lag to grind the system to a halt, but it did, repeatedly, all weekend. All I can say is that the level of performance issues, caused by what felt like a relatively small scale event, was a shock to me.

Unfortunately, in the future z-waves which travel faster then light are simply too complicated to be interpreted by anything other then the human mind. Hence automation is simply impossible and therefore you must keep pressing that button.

There. Does that help you?

1 Like

This isn’t about the server load, and it never has been. A manual dscan places responsibility on the player. An automated one removes it. EVE is and always has been about personal responsibility, which is why an automated dscan without a serious drawback by way of risk is off the table, the same way autopilot drops you 15km from a gate instead of warping you to zero.

Keep in mind that an automated dscan would also make botting even more efficient, as bots would no longer need to rely on local. They wouldn’t have to attempt to warp off unless they received an automated dscan result within a predetermined range.

2 Likes

No, go away.

Maybe but it’s not about D-scan which is simply a tool. So once a pilot opens the panel of D-scan he already keeps responsibility and no matter of how it functioning.

Everything is just a tool. It’s your PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to make the most of those tools, not up to those tools to replace your personal responsibility.

100% this.

My perspective might be skewed because I spend a lot of time in Rookie Help chat, but a lot of deaths occur because people don’t check D-Scan for potential threats. As it should be.

Trading risk, content / conflict and personal responsibility for a dumbed down game with an extra dose of hand-holding simply to allow players to be lazy is not a good idea imho.

If you start automating stuff like D-scan, you may as well have the game auto-bookmark wormhole exits, auto-create a safe spot 500km ahead of each undock and auto-warp ships away when they reach hull.

You know, all those pesky things that get people killed, because we don’t want any of that going on in our game, now do we? :upside_down_face:

We get people in Rookie Help asking all the time if they can automate their guns firing on the next target, if they can automate their mining lasers firing at the next rock, if they can change autopilot to land at 0km on each gate… etc

You name it, if it currently requires the press of a button, people want the game to do it for them.

Bot aspirancy? :thinking:

Someone call CODE! :yum:

I was there when tidi happened and the body count was 1700 and then 1900. It is not that much about number of players in system but more about number of players undocked. And there wasn’t even 1k players at perimeter gate when 30% tidi happened. The warp with shuttle from station to gate took about 2 minutes, horrible. Left the Jita asap and didn’t came back until monday.

1 Like

I wish people would start writing proper threads rather than this clickbait ■■■■■■■■.

I believe the overview only shows what is currently on grid. Dscan goes much further.