Give haulers an edge...some thoughts

It might be better to fly an impel if you venture into 0.5 space, you can get over 1m tank with this fit:
Impel

Corpus X-Type Armor EM Hardener
Corpus X-Type Armor EM Hardener
Corpus X-Type Armor Kinetic Hardener
Corpus X-Type Armor Thermal Hardener
Corpus X-Type Armor Explosive Hardener
Syndicate 800mm Steel Plates
Syndicate 800mm Steel Plates

Medium Trimark Armor Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

Without implants it reaches 610k EHP and it only costs about 900m for the entire fit

1 Like

Awesome!!:grinning:

What’s to add?

You made several mistakes which cost you a ship and cargo.
Rather than learn from your errors you came to the forums and asked to have the game changed so that you can win a 1v18 fight.

1 Like

Im sorry if I didnt make my ideas clear enough. Maybe reading between the lines?

As for those 2 members…are they doing their job? Going with the staus-quo is not doing your job. It’s not soley a matter of ganking, but of gameplay as I keep saying. Making things better with better tools.

You forgot the third kind of marriage: the one where the people involved screw up early on, learn how to be married from those mistakes, and spend a long and happy life together.

You are right on the cusp of this kind of marriage in EvE because you made mistakes and now have the option to either learn from them or be miserable.

Mistake #1: That Higgs anchor is a horrible choice for a hauler. Why? Because when you warp to zero, you don’t really warp to zero, you warp to a 5km sphere centered on zero. If you land on the closer side of that sphere, you still have to cross that 2.5km using just your engines. That Higgs anchor may make you align stupid fast, but it also makes you a sitting duck if you get an unlucky landing. I’d wager that’s what happened to you with this kill. (This happens for all ships warping, not just DSTs obviously.)

Mistake #2: Your overall fit is…weird. I understand you skipping out on agility because you felt the Higgs rig was all you needed, and I can understand the warp core stabs, especially if you’re transiting losec (better pray they don’t have a HIC though), but why in the name of Bob would you fit cap power relays? The MWD and ECM burst on your fit won’t ever be run for more than a cycle or two so why the strong need for cap recharge?

The cardinal rule of hauling is this: fit for tank, fit for agility, or fit for failure. You fit for failure, so you got ganked. Either make yourself such a tough nut to crack that gankers won’t bother (or can’t succeed), or make yourself so slippery that they never even get the chance. I prefer the second one personally.

As for your actual proposal (no pun intended) of warp scramble immunity, that is patently absurd on its face. Very few ships have immunity to non-targeted warp scrambling, and no ship in EvE is currently immune to targeted warp scrambling (barring instances where they are already unable to warp). Such a change would be hugely overpowered. And if you you’re interested in warping cloaked while hauling, I suggest looking at the dedicated T2 haulers that already exist for such things.

Having said all of that, I do agree that being able to judge the relative safety of a route using only in-game utilities can be complicated. But there exist ample out-of-game resources that are quick and easy to use. While I’ve often questioned CCP’s approach to doing things this way with in-game functionality (market, map, kills, etc.) it seems pretty ingrained in the game so I wouldn’t expect it to change anytime soon.

As for the CSM…all I can ever do when asked about them is shake my head and shrug…

3 Likes

For a hauler tank is the measure of how long before you inevitably get blown up if you get caught. Unless you have a fleet that will rescue you which OP doesn’t have.

Successful hauling is 100% about not getting caught.

Use the map, use a scout. Dock and have a sandwich if it smells bad. Dock if you get cargo scanned.

2 Likes

The Occator already has one of the largest tanks you can fit in highsec and built-in warp core stabs (+2) that prevent it from being warp scrambled by almost every point module. So much so only a couple die every day, and then mostly war targets and the odd overloaded one (Occator | Losses | Ship | zKillboard). I’m not sure it needs anymore buffs.

If it takes 15 or 20 ships to kill yours, things are already massively in your favour. If CCP decides highsec ganking needs work, I’d rather they spend the time making it more interesting and interactive, not making it even more impossible, from the already near-impossible, it is to pull of under the current rules.

1 Like

Well, for a DST if you’re travelling through lowsec then tank isn’t as necessary, but for highsec only a maxtank DST can outtank a maxtank freighter. You normally wouldn’t bring a freighter through lowsec would you?

1 Like

The thing is that writing between lines is not good enough, take a look at the forum section rules to see for yourself Welcome to Player Features & Ideas

• If you have an idea of how to improve an issue, that is one thing. If you are simply pointing out flaws and shortcomings, it is not a feature or idea.
1 Like

I agree on many points. Im still learning and experimenting with many fits. The Higgs was an experiment, but yes it turned out to be useless.

1 Like

@Bronson_Hughes, outstanding post, hitting the like button was not enough.

In low/null 100% correct. The OP suffered his loss in a 0.5 system, so his tank only had to last until CONCORD arrived to issue punishment.

3 Likes

I had spent so much time preping for low sec, I didnt even consider hi-sec ganking to be honest.

I think I would generally consider most 0.5 systems to be more dangerous for haulers than any low sec system, once you are past the first system out of high sec.

1 Like

Definitely. It’s a different beast altogether.

It is a wholly different environment.

In losec, active tanking long enough to get back to a gate can work, especially in DSTs like the Occator. In hisec, it’s largely reduced to a binary condition: either you have enough buffer to survive the gank or you don’t. That’s why I heavily favor agility when I haul so that hay they never get the chance.

Cheers, and good hunting.

1 Like

I love these knee jerk “I’m bad so please make EVE safer for me” type of threads. Enjoyable for the salty tears alone.

The DST is already one of the tankiest ships in the game as long as you fit it right.

These are all terrible fits for the Occator and it oozes an aura of entitled whining if you demand that the game be changed because you cannot even fit your ship properly.

1. I you find the map overly complex, take a moment to learn, it’s not that hard to figure out.

2. you already know of gatecamp checking tools, use them. Stop being so lazy that you demand Intel be spoonfed to you when you can easily alt tab and check the site.

3. this one is just a “I’m bad, so make the game play itself for me please” whine

I’m sad that CCP has to read these type of entitled whining threads day in and day out from people who can’t even take care of themselves yet ask for the game to help their lack of effort.

1 Like

I love these, “I have nothing to add so let me make myself feel big by putting other people down” type of comments.

Epeen feel better now? Yes, Im laughing at you. :rofl:

Way to ignore all three responses to your post. But I guess that’s expected of someone like you. I should have known better than to expect you’d be willing to engage in discussion of your three points. You’re just here to vent about how unfair the game is for not spoonfeeding you free intel.

1 Like

Awww…poor baby. :sob:

If only you could dodge gatecamps as well as you could dodge forum criticism. Lmao :joy: