Going red on HP, don't fear it

Dont mind Scoots. He thinks hes amazing because he belongs to an amazing corp that carries him :smirk:

1 Like

Your tank should generally not be breaking on PvE content. If it is, you’re either not flying well, or are poorly fit for the content.

It is nice that you are enjoying yourself, but I can promise you that if you switch to an optimal fit you will quickly realize that you’ve been doing it all wrong. You will clear content more quickly and safely and make more money in the same amount of time.

1 Like

Sorry, did you just say PVE cannot be fun? Last I ran a certain complex, it got my heart pumping because I was in an expensive ship that should have been able to tank this thing but I was still losing armor because, for some reason, more elitefrigates than expected webbed me to almost a standstill and it was a race against the repair-damage balance to get rid of them. That was fun. Or another time I ran a mission and I triggered a few triggers too many because I didn’t check my what my drones were doing. That also was a race against the damage-repair-capacitor balance. That was fun, too.

Or that time when I started exploring roughly at the same time as some other guy and I kept taking all the relic sites from that person because he was slow. And not to mention the many times where I was waiting in my PVE site with my Recon for people to come by and tackle my PVE ship, only to realize they are screwed.

PVE can be lots of fun.

… and PVE can very really and well be a fight.

People, who say “your tank should generally not break on PVE content” clearly have poor understanding of just how much PVE content there is and how different it can be, as well as they belong those dreadful people who min-max everything and disregard every bit of fun only to reach the maximum possible ISK per hour. No wonder that these people do not have fun in PVE.

Oh really? Farming some poor sod that has no chance of fighting back in their PVE ship against your purpose fit ship that is equipped specifically against them is fun? That’s the same kind of slaughter that you earlier said is not a fight. Nor is it fun. Your logic has holes there.
Instead, he should keep enjoying his PVE and make fun of losers who think PVE cannot be fun and who have to prey on PVE runners because they are easy prey.

1 Like

Some have serious tunnel vision when it comes to such things in games and you will never convince them of anything else.
Let them think that playing a game PvP or PvE is so different in the larger picture.

That said, PvE and PvP can both be challenging in different ways. PvP is certainly 80% more likely to be exciting, but there have been that 20% of time where I think I should have just done “war of the worlds” one more time than gone out for that roam.

2 Likes

Yes, I said exactly that. PvE is a masochistic slog with zero challenge once you put the right gear/skills into a ship. The NPCs are mindless, the mission events are all scripted with well known triggers, and you can always just warp out and try again if you get overwhelmed. If you’re having any difficulty with PvE it’s because you’re either a newbie with low skills/ISK or you just suck at EVE.

Or that time when I started exploring roughly at the same time as some other guy and I kept taking all the relic sites from that person because he was slow. And not to mention the many times where I was waiting in my PVE site with my Recon for people to come by and tackle my PVE ship, only to realize they are screwed.

IOW, PvE is fun when you use it for PvP. Thanks for proving my point.

… and PVE can very really and well be a fight.

It really can’t. PvE is just mining with guns instead of mining lasers. You research the PvE damage types/triggers/etc, fit your ship appropriately, and follow the standard script until you collect the ISK. There’s negligible chance of defeat, very low chance of the NPCs even being a significant threat, and very little thought involved beyond pressing F1 over and over again until you get tired of PvE.

Oh really? Farming some poor sod that has no chance of fighting back in their PVE ship against your purpose fit ship that is equipped specifically against them is fun? That’s the same kind of slaughter that you earlier said is not a fight. Nor is it fun. Your logic has holes there.
Instead, he should keep enjoying his PVE and make fun of losers who think PVE cannot be fun and who have to prey on PVE runners because they are easy prey.

The difference is that the PvE player attacked by a PvP player could, at least in theory, win. They could be flying a PvP-fit bait ship and hoping for someone to be foolish enough to engage. They can warp out and deny a kill if you don’t set up your attack properly. They could have friends nearby ready to turn your attack into a 10v1 slaughter. Etc.

NPCs, on the other hand, will never do any of that. They will mindlessly follow their script and deal the same predictable damage as they slowly and predictably drift towards you, and will spawn reinforcements exactly according to the script if and only if you hit the spawn triggers. Zero unpredictability, zero chance of victory.

2 Likes

Then you clearly have no idea about PVE, as stated above.

Selective quoting to suit your narrative? Good heavens, thanks for proving that you need manipulation to make your argument work. I gave several examples how PVE is fun even without PVP involved. And even if PVP is involved, the PVE enabled it and thus PVE is fun as well. Thanks for proving my point indeed.

As said, you have hardly any understanding of PVE. Even with this research, there are still certain unknowns in certain complexes, missions and other activities.

That particular bit sounds like most PVP these days. Are you implying that PVP isn’t fun either?

And that script can and does have surprises in certain PVE activities, even in old missions. Besides, your point is not true either. Dread Pirate Scarlet has an mission NPC that warps away if you do not catch her in time. The only sad thing here is that CCP is too dumb to do more things like this in an all-accessible way. They try it with Trig crap but that’s not for everyone and it ignores the much more versatile and fun mission system.

Not to mention that all PVP follows the exact same path. You know what your opponents bring, you bring the proper counter ships or you bring enough logi to counter your disadvantage, or have a cyno on standby to counter the disadvantage. The fleets also have predictable behavior patterns like trying to warp when things go sour and bring reinforcements almost exactly as scripted in many instances. Very low unpredictability, only minor chance of losing.

1 Like

Whatever, sure sounds to me like you’re just bad at PvE and find even the most mindless activities to be challenging. I don’t think there’s much point in having further conversation with someone who thinks that scripted NPCs are even remotely comparable to the level of unpredictability involved in dealing with other players.

I love doing smash the supplier mission i pull everything in the room shoot all the trigger ships, keep my fleetphoon stationary and tank the lot of em. Dish a world of hurt to those amarr buggers who drop tags well over a mill per pop for the battleships. My most fave mission i also like worlds apart as well.

Its not pvp but i don’t care when i first came across those missions i had to warp out ship in flames even lost a few battleships, with years of training i now sit in em like a boss and tank and spank. I don’t see the need for a marauder doing the min maxing thing, as i loot the field as well after i finish the mission then hand it in. Its very lucrative done right.

My escapades enable me to involve myself in other more interesting things you can do in eve, like drop dead bodies out of your cargo bay in null systems with player owned stations in them. Watch everyone dock up because im in a cloaky loki, and am a high sec care bear i do love the irony.

Even funnier going into a wormhole using combat probes scan down any residents warp to them decloak and say hi in local and watch em freak out and usually dock up. Sometimes i get shot at but the irony again im a high sec care bear with a sense of humour.

2 Likes

Likewise, I think there is no point in arguing further with someone who thinks that player behavior follows an unpredictable pattern.

1 Like

Do you also believe that the earth is flat? Because that’s the level of lunacy you’re posting here.

Your argumentation is flatter than any flat earth flat earthers can possibly believe in. That’s what I believe in. Such a level of ignorance and obstinacy seems to be on the rise these days, however, so you are in good company. Saying, something cannot be fun just because it follows a script, while most PVP in EVE feels worse than a scripted Cargo Delivery mission, is the level of lunacy that only die-hard ignorants can believe in.

1 Like

In my opinion, PvE is more like marathon running, and PvP is more like sprinting.
Cap management comes to mind specifically.

You have totally contradictory strategies and tactics, which is why PvE is so bad in trying to prepare for PvP, just like it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to train for a sprint when you are going to run a marathon.

Some like running marathons more than sprinting, so if follows that some would rather run missions than PvP, due to the differences I mentioned above.

The whole E-Peen thing just makes the great PvP’er argument about the manliness of PvP so silly at times. :laughing:

I’ve done both PvE and PvP in this game the last 15 years and they can both be fun for different reasons. Though the PvE content has been generally neglected.

4 Likes

Or its undeniable proof of you being a real man. Because, you know, real men hull tank.

9 Likes

Except a marathon is still a competition, just over a longer distance. PvE is not a competition because there’s no meaningful chance of failure. Everyone gets a participation trophy for showing up, and the only way you can fail to “win” is if you ignore the race in favor of bashing your head into a tree until you knock yourself out.

1 Like

Like I said, you make the flat earthers look reasonable. Only in your delusions do actual human players, armed with the full range of possibilities in EVE, act less predictably than NPCs that literally can not deviate from the script they are programmed with.

And yes, I’m saying that PvE can’t be fun because it is scripted. Success only has value when failure is possible and the scripted nature of EVE’s PvE makes failure effectively impossible. You know exactly what you are facing, you know without any uncertainty whether or not your ship can defeat the PvE, and you can almost always warp out and repair if you somehow manage to screw up those calculations. Once you figure out how to beat the NPCs all you do is mindlessy follow your own script, pressing F1 over and over again until you have enough ISK.

1 Like

And no, I will not give any credibility to the idea that level 4 missions are fun, exciting, or unpredictable. Not when I can’t even remember the last time I lost a ship in PvE and most missions can’t even break the passive shield regen on my armor tanked ship. The only unpredictable aspect is how long before the sheer tedium of pressing F1 over and over again with zero chance of failure becomes too much and I just PLEX some ISK instead.

1 Like

Like KM whoring during the PvP dogpile during most PvP engagements. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

To each their own.

You would think that this day and age people would have learned about the differing interests of others. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

At least the other side has a chance of winning that fight, even if they fail to take advantage of it. NPCs will never do anything unpredictable or threaten to win.

Most of the time, no. Fair fights are pretty rare to be honest.

1 Like