Gravitational pull

Ok so we need to be clear about what we are talking about.

Slingshoting in the space field refers to using heavy masses to increase the speed of object we want to send, further.

In the context of accelerating on a small-scale space, this makes litterally zero sense. The reason for this, is that the gradient of gravity field is so small it’s not noticeable.
If you move 3km in space, and you are 2 AU from the biggest celestial.
2 AU = ± 3 * 10^11 m ; 3km = 3 * 10^3 m
The ratio is 1 for 10^8
the gravitation field value is in 1/d² so if you multiply your distance by (1+10^-8) you therefore divide your field value by 1+10^-16+2 * 10^-8
this means if you move 3km while 2 AU away from a celestial, the increase in the pull is less than 0.000003%

basically, unless you are very close to a celestial, the effect would be naught.

Would it be enough even with that figured in to get anything like the speeds the OP is thinking of?

Nothing. Matter can not enter a black hole. It stops just before reaching the Schwartschild radius. That because the time is infinitely compressed when approaching the horizon. The only moment the matter is released, is when the blackhole dies of evaporation. Which can take literally billions of years. So the matter is actually trapped, with a time compressed so for the matter time does not pass. That’s the same idea as if you approached a temperature absorber than ensure that the closer you physically are, the closed your temperature gets, down to the absolute zero.
Except that in the case of a black hole the increase in gravitational field makes you emit much light.

Also gravitational pulls don’t work when relying on the star of a system.

I think I don’t get what OP actually knows, and think of.

You know as I wrote that, I shouldve listened to the voice in my head saying “shes going to take that literally”.

1 Like

hey.

You.

You got me.

Kuddo.

Sorry I am illiterate in the fundamental physics of Black holes I hope I did not upset anyone

There was a time you could slingshot your ship without the need of a planet. You could reach speeds literally hundreds of times what you could get otherwise. I had deep space bookmarks so far out of some systems that it took up to five minutes or so just to warp to them. But here’s the thing. When using the slingshot maneuver to create them I covered the distance in seconds. Seconds!

Alas, as has happened so many times before, CCP turned that feature into an exploit and then coded the mechanic so you couldn’t leave a system. You’d bounce off an invisible wall.

What about making it impossible to fly through planets, moons or to the core of a sun without dying.
Suns should give you heat damage.

What is it about the word “warp” that alludes you?

And they should rotate. And the planets should orbit them. And the moons should orbit the planets.

It’s a science FICTION game, people. And they’re not suns. They’re stars.

4 Likes

Sorry for causing confusion. I meant subwarp. You can fly through planets and moons with subwarp speed and even almost reach the center of a “star”, where you get bumped out a few mill. km.

Really? I cant say Ive managed that.

That said, never really tried either, but I thought you got bumped away at a particular point

It was the first thing i did in eve, when i undocked from a station in 2014. :grin: Turned my corvette towards the next moon and flew right into it. Works till this day.

1 Like

Reaching the center of star takes a few hour even with a more than 10km/s fast ship though.

A slingshot manoeuvre would also require that the planets themselves are moving, which in reality they do but in EVE they don’t.

In terms of the physics involved, a slingshot is roughly equivalent to bouncing a ball off a wall. If you throw a ball at a stationary wall it bounces back with the same speed. If you bounce a ball off a wall moving towards you (or, say, an opponent’s tennis racket) it bounces back with far greater speed. In a slingshot manoeuvre the wall is the planet, and the bounce is a spaceship heading for the planet, passing behind it, then returning.

I was waiting for someone to point that out!
The “gravitational assist” is a method for transferring kinetic energy between bodies in a three body system - normally “sun”, “planet” and “spacecraft”. Getting the assist you need is a matter of timing and path. It’s not an arbitrary “fly close to planet = go faster in any direction I want”.

@Trevor_Dalech’s tennis ball analogy is a good one: the tennis racket you bounce the ball off is also slowed by the impact - Momentum is conserved.

Voyager getting a speed increasing assist from Jupiter also slowed Jupiter in its orbit down by a very, very small amount. You can also use an assist to slow down - transferring momentum to the planet to reduce your own orbital velocity. Most probes to the inner planets do that now with Earth (and other combinations of planets). It reduces the fuel need appreciably.

To patch in real physics, even real moving star systems, to Eve would be a nightmare - and radically change the game. Given in game we’ve infinite power and reaction-less drive and faster than light travel, wanting “real physics” is an interesting ask. But it would be an interesting thought experiment: what would “Real physics Eve” look like - it would definitely be a slower game…

There’s “Orbiter Space Flight Simulator 2016 Edition” at http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ for free. I have not spent any time with it in several years, but recall missing almost an entire year immersed in it. Just visited the site for a quick overview and it seems to have become even better. Not a game though, just a single person simulator though. Very steep learning curve, but really satisfying that first time you manage an entire flight from launch, to moon orbit (or landing), and back again to a parachute or gliding re-entry and landing, depending upon which craft/system is used.
An eve-like game, based upon real physics would be great; thinking of an Alan E. Nourse ‘Raiders from the Rings’ sort of deal. Even simple mining trips could take weeks or months; I’d do it in a heart beat.

Seeing as NOTHING in EVE works like actual space. this is a moot point.

2 Likes

I’d love to see stations orbit moons and planets but meh bookmarks would be moot and players would bitch about that big time lol

dont stations, moons planets orbit in Elite ?

Yup theyve a pretty good model afaik

Though Black Holes dont really do much