Guy who didnt understand Omega Status >.<

You just don’t understand the idea behind the Alpha status.

2 Likes

Ok so I just misunderstood the omega status I thought new skills where added so like you said if I resub it will let me fly it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

get a PLEX, train some skill for a month, extract and sell SP for the next PLEX. voila, free omega. But you don’t get any additional sp anymore. Can’t have everything for free.

1 Like

Fantastic ideal!

1 Like

This post clarifies everything :slight_smile: I’m glad that everything is clear now, have fun in space!

4 Likes

Say what? How is this a scam?

Unfortunately, this is how it is. Omega status costs 20$ / month. This has nothing to do with skill points. Personally I think it’s too expensive. Eve should be pay once (a quite high price though) then play forever. When the competition will catch up maybe in one year or two, CCP will have to adapt.

1 Like

If they let alphas use omega skills they had trained previously, then there would be characters like mine that could unsub and still fly every single subcap in the game with maxed skills.

As nice as it would be, it is hardly fair.

Glad you got it cleared up.

3 Likes

I do not agree. (with the OP)

this right here? this is where the stupid is.

Eve is not free to play. It is a subscription game with a skill limited but time unlimited trial. If you want to play for free? stay in trial mode-alpha but do NOT expect to fly the t2 stuff. That is for subscribers and full members of the game-omega

got it?

(doubt it)

m

Exactly what more training does it require? I’d like to know the specifics.

There isn’t. OP just had to train his finger to resub. Things seem to have been cleared up. Back to business as usual.

1 Like

Then why is CCP advertising it as Free2Play?

1 Like

Because it is free to play, you can create an Alpha account and play as much as you want within the limitations Alpha clones have. However if you want to do more then that then you need to sub. The Alpha clone system is really quite fair if you think about it. You’re not time limited, you have enough power and skills to still be useful in most corps, and the biggest limitations are things that could be too easily abused if allowed by Alphas (like barge mining and PI). Also, if you do sub and learn Omega skills. You lose access to those skills if you let your sub lapse and revert to Omega but they’re still learned when you re-sub.

Alpha clones is actually the only reason I tried Eve. As much as I enjoy MMO’s I can’t always afford to pay $10-$15 per month. It’s frustrating to be completely locked out of a game when a sub ends, though I completely understand that “devs need to eat” and do not expect a completely free game, so I avoid subscription based games. The Alpha system is perfect for me though, months I can afford to sub I do so and train up my Omega skills while months I can’t afford to sub I don’t and enjoy the game within the Alpha clone limitations.

1 Like

They say Play for Free, not free to play, if you went to the same place I did. Free to play implies all content is free and we both know that is not true. Personally I object to even what they have said on that web-page.

I am nitpicking and will cede you that point. If you will allow that you can play the game without a subscription but the sub allows more opportunities to open up.

m

2 Likes

Yes obviously that is the case. But it should also be pointed out that if they go the free2play way or play4free or whatever, they will also be compared with other games with similar models. And if they get compared to similar models, they will also be called pay2win.

I mean lets think for a moment how this would translate for a game like League of Legends just as an example. Similar cash shop etc, you can even buy all the access to ships with SP injectors, similar to purchasing heroes in LOL, but now if you don’t pay the 15$ premium per month you can’t play them. In fact without the premium you can only play the ~15 shitty ones of your faction, while > 200 specialized ships (or heroes in LOL) which are superior in every respect are only accessible to omega players.

This free2play move was regarded by most who where in favour of it as necessary because todays consumer base expect something like this. I get that and maybe it is indeed required. But this consumer base is also aware what constitutes pay2win and this just looks like that squared with a cherry on top to them.

But probably even worse than CCP in this case are the people in the community who actually defend this and give them the feeling that everything is fine with completely absurd reasoning like “it’s an extended trial” or “you can’t actually buy win because you can’t win EVE”. Which is completely meaningless and just looks absurd to a new player not familiar with EVE.

You know confirmation bias is a thing and if only part of the community tells them this is fine and there is no issue they will just go with those comments and ignore the others who tell them how broken this really looks. We have seen this time and time again lately.

I don’t mean to bash CCP here. They try to adapt EVE so it can survive the changing landscape in the industry. But it really does not help if people just look the other way and pretend everything is fine if they clearly make things worse. If you actually like the game it is your obligation to tell them when they screw up.

And we are actually after the fact that it is now clear this was a complete failure. The PCU is even below what it was before play4free/free2play. Now people already start to moan “oh well, every game dies” etc etc. Really? Before MMOs, games came out, maybe stuck around a year or two and then no one played it. Games like EVE changed that. It could perfectly well be that they could iterate on this “forever” if done right. And I think there was even a time when CCP was a believer in this (EVE forever)… but something changed…

It’s like they are converting into one of this classic game companies. EVE seams like it is in maintenance mode and CCP is more concerned with monetization than new content and expanding on the biggest work of living science fiction. It’s like they are suddenly blind to the unique thing they created and abandon it for their VR pipe dreams. I really hope I’m just completely paranoid and I got this completely wrong, but even if Falcon came here and told me “Ima, I know you are afraid, but EVE is fine, there will be player build stargates and awesome new stuff beyond your dreams” I would not believe him until I see it on TQ.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not mad at CCP (at least not always) I just really care for this awesome game because it is like nothing else I have seen anywhere even close, and I would really really hate it if they screw this up and let it die. There is nothing to replace it.

Ok, that was longer than expected… but had to get that off the chest :smiley:

1 Like

No. You always had to pay subscription to fly that ship before.

However, before if you didn’t subscribe, you couldn’t play the game at all. Now you can have access to the game, even if you don’t pay anything to play.

You aren’t a victim here. You’re just feeling entitled to something that has never existed.

1 Like

If you read the conversation you will see he already acknowledged his mistake.

1 Like

Eve is free to play COMPLETELY.

Since you can buy plex with isk, and play as an alpha to earn isk… you can play the full version of Eve without spending any real currency… ever.

Now paying real money makes it less of a hassle than using isk to pay for Omega status… but the FTP option is fully in existence.

4 Likes