Hardcore Ironman-style characters

Was thinking it’d be cool to have an Ironman feature, similar to other games, where getting podded effectively biomasses character. I imagined a limited, streamlined and probably boosted skill tree limited to fitting, flying, shooting, also implants and drug use.

I also imagine some sort of seperate naming convention, ie. LDPS SCS-214A (Lai Dai Protection Service corp, Special Clone Service unit #214A) or something (that imaginary example is kinda retarded) so that thousands of soon to be permadeathed names dont get used up, we are already critically low on variations of “Noob Killer” for example, and dont need to exacerbate the situation.

Tying into lore would be easy, since lore is already shot all to hell and more convoluted than the overarching plot to ‘Naruto’ currently wikipedia’s article of the day.

We could make Ironman characters either products of specific faction corps- both regular empires or maybe a new Triglavian element which can only tavel low, null, w-space, or triglav invaded systems.

Or just plain and simple regular toons that die permanently with special stats rewards ranks, etc tied to Ironman account for full e-peen satisfaction.
We could also

1 Like

So basically easy to make boosted ganking alts that you automatically get to recycle for free despite the rules against that…
I mean that’s how it would be used.

3 Likes

Yes, we definitely need a special type of character where all of your progress is lost every time CCP’s servers have a problem…

Well, you’re in good company because CCP Hilmar has talked about something like this. Unfortunately, I fail to see the appeal. Well, I am strictly opposed to making regular characters suffer permadeath. Personally, I’ve invested vast sums of wealth into SP for multiple toons, so you can bet your bottom dollar that it would make me super risk adverse. And I’m willing to bet a lot of other players would be the same way. People would be less reluctant to fight, and many would flee wormholes and nullsec because of the risk of bubbles.

As for optional side characters with permadeath -why? Like I said, I don’t understand why that works for Eve. I mean, I do want Eve to be more dangerous, but I don’t understand how disposable characters will achieve that end.

1 Like

Team Talos said they might do something with permadeath soon.

The game ‘mode’ I’ve roughly described is dedicated toons, probably better suited to dedicated accounts also. Possibly even an idea for an ‘eve-mobile’ that actually worked. Arcade-style ship control could certainly tie in seamlessly. You guys have phones right?

Because risk and dying are what EVE is made of. Let’s turn it up a notch.

Let’s be honest, after 11 years, I have finally seen the light. PVP is not a side game. All the other stuff is. Trade, Industry, Mining, Plexes and exploration, Missions, all a very sophisticated ploy to lull you into the illusion that you are in control of your EVE experience when in fact it is the other way around.

We are living in the matrix. Every new and ever-so intricate PVE addition is a stealth PVP buff, and you, in new and ever-so intricate ways are the content, not the PVE expansion.

Ironman game mode simply strips away the pretense, sharpens your focus, and points you through the distraction to become the noob killing machine you’ve always dreamed of being.

Risks and dying based on player agency are what EVE is made of. Risks based on CCP’s server infrastructure are not supposed to be a major part of EVE.

I really, really hope they don’t do something so profoundly stupid. But I guess this is the same company that gave us F2P cash shop gambling and thought it was a good idea…

1 Like

On Permadeath for Normal Toons in Eve
I mean, I’m not opposed to more risk or a slightly bigger death penalty, but permadeath is such a harsh penalty that I’d just park my existing toons. We’re not talking about loosing the progress of a 2-3 hour rogue-like run, were talking about losing years worth of progress. I mean, it would be like flying an AT ship around. I know some guys have the balls to do that, but for me, it would make me break Eve’s golden rule every time I undocked in so much as a pod with a clean clone.

On Disposable Toons
Once again, I’m not opposed to your feelings about Eve, but how would these work? How would they incentivize fights? What incentives would people have for using them? Like, why would I want to use a low skill toon with permadeath when I could fly an extremely high skill toon that can’t die?

You’d pretty much have to include higher starting SP/massively faster training/etc to make them viable very soon after character creation, but then you just negate all meaning to permadeath by making them completely expendable.

And they’ll only be used for expendable purposes then also. Which means ganking alts primarily.

When CCP was working on the vampire game, they had an idea where most people could respawn, but the head of the coven, with special super powers would not reanimate if they were killed. Each coven would (presumably) need something like that. It seemed like it could work in a game designed that way. But in Eve? I’m not sure how they would balance that. I think the Eve equivalent is the supercapital ship.

Yeah, and a reward/ranking system. There’s some major challenges for a really workable system (ranking integrity etc), but there’s serious issues to work out with any worthwhile idea. 10 years ago it was a big deal to be highly ranked in battleclinic etc. Today being top tier in EVE is kinda like being a billionaire (besides Musk or Gates) or a famous rapper (besides the Beastie Boys) , theres 1k more of you and nobody knows or cares wtf you are.
Ironman mode could therefore also be an avenue to rejuvenate a core aspect (who’s the best this week) of the game that has not aged well.

Removed an off topic post.

Not empty posting.

This response closed the thread, the rest is ■■■■■■■■.

No people like you with no reading comprehension derails each and every thread in forums, reading title, and then spamming reply button.
Even as the entire lifecycle of a coherent thought you felt glimmerings of has once more succumbed to the remnant neanderthal gene-set still mindlessly thrashing about in a millennials old struggle to reassert dominance and finally succeeding only in a minor impulse taking grip to live yet again, if only for a moment yeilding a short angry stream of jibberish.

-1000 for post
+50 for managing enough higher level cognition to include a quote in post.

Once again, an Ironman pvp focused addition would necessarily, of course, be non-hisec centric.

I saw that, who cares?

Its a dumb idea, all-sec.

Ok thanks for your opinion I still think it would be a pretty cool idea, and think with some reasonable incentives it could draw a segment of pve centric players to give pvp a go. Even when most of them gravitate back towards pve play styles it would still have broadened their engagement in eve and contribute to overall health of game.

How exactly is vastly increasing the risks of PvP going to encourage risk-averse farmers to be interested in it?

1 Like