Has something changed in the installer?

I am a long time player but tend to play for a few months then stop for a while when I get bored.
I just downloaded the installer from Download the free EVE Online client (launcher) for Windows or Mac and my antivirus lit up like a christmas tree.
I am pretty sure they are false positives but if someone could put my mind at rest it would be appreciated.
I have 3 lots of : not-a-virus:HEUR:Downloader.Win32.Generic.
This never happened before and I run a very tight ship as regards what I click on and download etc.
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Judging from the line you posted, it’s a heuristic find, meaning that its similar to a known malware/virus. It can happen that you get false positives like that.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/cba784df62739a387d51763eeca40734a81ac8f6a882dc67993296c520317c9a/detection

I think that you need learn bit more about features of your antivirus on top of that.

1 Like

You are correct, I do. Thank you for your kind reply. It’s just that I’ve downloaded the installer more times than I can remember and this is the first time this has happened and I panic a lot. :slight_smile:
All the best.

Than you for your reply.

Same as other players, my computer security center has flagged Eve Online a couple of times in the past… The last time it happened CCP was suppose to have fixed the issue… Anyway, it’s not really a problem to worry about, however I do suggest you submit a Support Ticket with all relevant info.

Just to point out. There is nothing wrong in double checking such alerts. There are ways to inject infected files even when you think that you are downloading from legit website. Weakest link is always between chair and monitor. Even most expensive antivirus won’t guarantee safety if you stop thinking and relay only on software.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.