Hezekiah Winter, i salute you. o7

And i hate blogs, usually, but this got posted on reddit and sparked my curiosity.

I salute you and thank you for being one of the few who share my thoughts and beliefs. o7

1 Like

If by “EVEish” you mean bitter and spergy and by “blogpost” you mean tantrum …

1 Like

Oh look at the man who manages to write a one liner as response to such a long post.

Congratulations, i bet that took you some effort.

I did want to edit the title, though, just as you responded.

1 Like

Hey, you sound even saltier than that blog post. Good work!

2 Likes

Reading that gave me cancer.

1 Like

Can you put effort in doing nothing? Is doing nothing putting effort in something? Besides those philosophical questions, I didn’t get much out of the article: wasn’t good entertainment at all and too much pointless ramblings about random stuff to actually make a point regarding FW.

1 Like

He’s got a way of starting a brilliant commentary about EVE, then always somehow spinning it into a recruitment advert for his corporation. I can never decide if I should be annoyed by this or respect it as a valid and probably effective recruitment strategy.

Article would read better without the disclaimer though. This is an EVE blog, we all assume going in that he’s going to be talking ■■■■, I don’t see the need for a wordy preamble to prepare us and apologize for it. I chalk that up to the cultural influence of EVE Uni on his corp, it’s normal for that group but offputting for the rest of us.

He’s looking for more people, of course he adds recruitment information. The point is to get people to join, so they can help changing the game.

What exactly is off putting?

I will repeat myself - the wordy disclaimer prefacing the article to explain that he’s about to talk ■■■■ is what I find unnneccesary and off-putting, not the recruitment pitch. This is a video game, nobody reads video game fan blogs expecting them to be dead serious - especially when the game in question is EVE.

I don’t have a problem with him using his blog as a recruitment advert for his corp. I used to do the same thing when I was a CEO. It’s an effective strategy.

i wrote a long post, trying to talk about it. then i realized that given the effort you put in into actually understanding the post, i should not dignify your words with a reaction that assumes you could actually comprehend it. yet here i am, trying to talk to people who, to me, appear to be straight from a dystopian, 1984-esque future (which actually is the present).

Life isn’t just entertaining. what a horror that’d be. A huge stack of scientific papers about things in EVE prove that EVE actually can be taken very seriously. it’s a complex matter, just like life. and just like life, there’s way too many people who have none beyond being workslaves who think that entertainment, distraction, egotism, buying crap, and imaginary social status should be, or are, the centerpoint of all human existence.

Look at the thoughtlessness of what people say, including yourself, and you can see how society (this and the real one) goes forward, right into further degeneration.

i feel like what this guy did equals to throwing pearls before swine, but it still was a great read, with a good amount of directness and honesty, and the provided context you dismiss for no apparent reason really added to it.

Reducing it to a recruitment ad really says more about you than about the post.

if that felt offending, then maybe you’re on to something. have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Nothing tells you to take something seriously like a “trigger warning”, erratic usage of bold lettering and large text, responses to quotes by nobody ever, generous use of the word “■■■■”, line breaks every few words and a recruitment pitch for your internet spaceship guild, right?

See, I don’t even necessarily disagree with everything the guy writes. (Although I do disagree with some parts) It’s just that it’s an incoherent mess and trying way too hard to be offensive to a degree where it becomes pitiful.

what isn’t offputting about that incoherant rambling mess?

I didn’t care for the post but to each their own

Ah, yes. this thread.

i’ve learned something.

• disclaimers are a waste of time, because people don’t understand their meaning
  • people don’t like emotionally supported honesty and instead need everyone to write according to the norm, which is “write for the ratings”
  • people don’t care about “a message”, unless it’s written by someone who is able to fool them with rethorics, which the author specifically avoided.

Yay for polemics! I think it’s fair to expect at least a basic level of communication skills and form from a self-proclaimed Eve Online Propagandist and Indie Political Theorist. Despite what you are implying, Rhetoric does not imly dishonesty. Take this post for example: By trying to write in at least somewhat proper scentences and staying civil I am applying rhetoric. And I am not trying to fool you, but I am trying to not drive you away, because I want you to at least consider what I have to say.

I could instead be saying “Haha, ■■■■ no, you are wrong!” - but would you even bother putting any thought into that?

Another example: Have a look at my first response in this thread. I didn’t pay much attention to rhetoric there. Did you take that seriously? Did you feel compelled to think about it?

Rhetoric is a good thing, especially if you want to drive an important message across.

Yes, but reading the disclaimer makes it clear that he wrote it like that on purpose. He wrote it like that, despite people being conditioned to reject anything that falls outside the norm, which is “appease to the masses”.

Maybe it’s deliberate, to filter people out… i don’t know. i’m short of time now.

have a nice day!