High Sec Ganking

I’m so happy to see that “F you, quit the game” is the default response from most people around here.

Makes it easier to not care about your opinion and move to the next comment that has something constructive within.

1 Like

The game is what it is, if you can’t accept Eve for the brutal bitch that she is then quitting is your best option.

This is an old game, many players have been here since the beginning, almost all of us have close to a decade or more invested in Eve. We’ve seen hisec become mechanically safer than it ever has been and still people like yourself demand more, what do you expect the reaction to be; incidentally not all of us are PvP players, yet we’ve managed to survive far worse in hisec than the watered down playpark it is now.

1 Like

People often don’t realize how easy they have it today.

I remember when Concord use to be tankable.

I remember when Tornadoes use to be able to dodge and avoid Concord by acting like the boomerangs they are shaped as.

I remember when Hulkageddon use to be an annual thing for 5 years straight.

Oh god, the horror.

Nowadays, it’s like living in the suburbs where crime is at an all-time low and still the neighbors complain about how easy it is for the raccoons to get into the trash bins at night.

1 Like

True true. I don’t go quite that far back, I started just as Apocrypha hit; hulkageddon was fun times, I provided a lot of warpins, while mining :evil:

Long gone are the days of the shenanigans of people likes TEARS terrorising the clueless in mission hubs, watching people get canflipped, come back in a BS and get owned etc, etc.

Can you imagine the reaction to a new hulkageddon, or an ice interdiction.

1 Like

What else should we say? How sorry we are we hurt your feeling when we shot your spaceship in a spaceship shooting game and how we will support a change to game mechanics which are around for 15 years just because you can’t handle it?

There are two options:

1. HTFU
  2. Hello Kitty Online
3 Likes

He simply rejects any reply disagreeing with him and labels it as “not being constructive”, regardless how valid those replies are, as evidenced by his post history…

:heavy_plus_sign:

:heavy_plus_sign:

He is the typical person who brings up morality just to can feel and act as a victim when most people simply play as intended. Which includes “words” too, competitive game and all that.

Especially so as words and behavior can be interpreted in many ways, and as evidenced by his posts he views things through a victim’s glass to justify himself instead of taking the sound advice of hardening up to the competitive nature of the game.

He actually treats such legit advice as being offensive and toxic based on what he wrote and even rejects it instead of considering and thinking about why people reply that to his concerns.

1 Like

you forgot some things…

insurance for gankers

insurance fraud (payout could be equal or greater than ship…miss fraud, make ships, self destruct them, profit…)

long ago empire agents had quality ratings. So if running say caldari navy you had like 2(3?) systems to get well paid in. I recall fun times in motsu watching gank 'pests alpha strike of doom tengu’s on the undock lol. Now any level 4 is as good as the next one really. go find that level 4 in a more quiet system and carebear away.

Oh man those were the days.

Make Can Flipping Great Again

Disco domis did nothing wrong.

1 Like

Indeed. CCP should remove all rats from highsec space.

2 Likes

Such a big thread and it is missing something :slight_smile:

DIBS ON STUFF

1 Like

Real question is, why do you all think that you shouldn’t be a target? Where is the skill in being 100% safe?

I don’t suicide gank as pirate. Never have really in my 10+ years in this game. But one thing is for sure, hiding in 100% risk free environment should require more attention and more skill to avoid any loss. I think CCP agrees with that and why suicide ganking can happen.

Outside of that, I really wish there were more options for criminals than having to camp a bunch of carebears in a station. I really wish CCP designed some mini-games around trade routes in empire that allowed both pirate and anti-pirates to participate in some form of PvP competition. Pirates looking to feed off the trade routes where anti-pirates trying to stop them.

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Would maybe need npc haulers for that… They did do that a little with resource wars.

Yeah, I’d be down with that. Would be ideal to have certain spots in high-sec space where these haulers traveled to and from before entering warp. Then allowing anything in that area of space a open pvp like environment where only those attacking the hauler got security status hits where everyone else attacking each other received none. Thus allowing both pirates and anti-pirates to fight each other till death.

I’m more than positive good RP would come out of it on top of quality content, especially if the location of these haulers were completely randomized requiring probes and all that jive.

I’m all for pvp i play a lot of pvp games I don’t mind losing some, but in here i’m up against guys who have been playing for years and are willing to destroy there own ships for no other reason then to cost me more money, that is an insane learning curve. in a game that is already extremely complex

there has to be a safe place to start from in every game. you can not build up and learn the basics of game machines while your being ganked at every gate just because it’s easy. most pvp games have some form of new player protection built into them, a bubble or something that keeps guys from just attacking new players like me all day every day until they give up and leave.

it is a great game but the suicide high security space gank is the reason most players are gone in one day or one week. it is the worst exploit hole i have ever seen in any game before. allowing stronger players to exploit the fact that new players can not yet fight defend and haven’t learned how to play yet. exchanging the much needed income stream of fresh players for a higher kill number. from a business point of view in every game a player is most likely to spend the most they will ever spend on a game during the first month of game play. but those players don’t survive there first gank. they never come back and tell every one they know not to come in. so much lost income. for what? a few old players get to brag about how many weak new player they can drive out the game a week? see all these guys that come here and vent about it? do you think they are buying anything from ccp after that? it’s a problem. it might make me leave maybe even charge back my cards for the few hindered bucks i spent in plex. after all i can’t use it since i can’t learn to play while being ganked every 5 minutes.

I’d like to see the npc haulers and miners too. that sounds fun. maybe there could be ways to find the randomized npc trade routs in some kind of mission based mini game.

While your point certain has an appeal to it is ganking not really an issues. Sure, it happens to everyone after some time, but it isn’t anywhere near as frequent as all these threads on ganking may suggest. It’s usually after it happened the first time that people are surprised about it, find it rude and ignorant, and complain about it. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

But it is a sandbox game. You have to accept some kind of, well, how to put this… immature behaviour by members of a certain age group. They find it funny and entertaining, and they do it as part of growing up and to learn about how people respond to it. They don’t usually do this in real life and probably not ever dare anything even close to it. In a sandbox game can they experience it. And of course we get to experience the other side of it, too … We should let them continue.

As long as it doesn’t happen to everyone each day is it not a problem. And some of it is done for profit, which I do see as reasonable, and it keeps greed in check.

The reason they shot you wasn’t to cost you money, it was to take your stuff. This game features piracy as a feature, and your killers earned hundreds of millions of ISK by exploding you.

There is, it is called the starter system. You can like the basic game mechanics there. Otherwise, there are no safe space in this game.

You are only being attacked in highsec because you are a profitable target. Part of that is you don’t have yet the game knowledge on how to stay safe, but part of it is that you are carrying around much more expensive stuff than a typical, non-PLEX buying new player would typically have. Using PLEX to shortcut the new player asset grind can be nice, but it puts you at risk to the other players who just see your shiny stuff and want to take it and you don’t have the experience of skills to defend youself. Most of the poor new players are left alone.

Stronger players are suppose to be able to “exploit” weaker players in this game. The problem is that if you make a safe space for new players, veteran players are going to find a way to worm their way in there and abuse that safety. You are intended to be open to PvP and any time and in any place in this game, so it is really hard to create a game mechanic that limits that but just to newer players.

The current way it is done is that the NPE, career agents and the SoE Epic Arc are off limits places to mess with new players. That works because the starter systems and agents don’t pay very much, to a veteran at least, so there is no issue so gives new players a place to learn the basics. After that, highsec in general is kept very safe by the threat of CONCORD retribution, but if you start using or moving very expensive items, you open yourself to increased risk of pirate attack.

That works fine as a game mechanic and disincentivizes attacks against most new players who just aren’t worth losing a ship over. You just appear to be an exception, a new player moving around valuable cargo in T1 ships. I can see why from your perspective this seems unfair, but this is a competitive game after-all, and you have jumped in feet-first to the shark tank.

I think you’ll find that with some effort and more understanding of the game, you learn how to avoid the highsec criminals looking to take your stuff. But for now, I would suggest tanking your ship more, and hauling much less valuable cargo at one time. T1 haulers are not very durable, and I would be wary of hauling more than 100M ISK in them through populated space where criminals might be. If you need to haul more, start training for an Orca and/or T2 hauler or use courier contracts to let people more experienced move your valuable goods.

3 Likes

You do have a safe space to learn the ropes in. It’s called the test server. Almost every ship and module is seeded on the market and everything only costs 100 ISK, so you can even test out ships and fits you normally couldn’t afford.

From what I have heard, the Devs seem to have a hard time keeping track of what’s going on in the starter systems. I have not been able to corroborate this claim but it’s safe to assume to even starter systems are not 100% safe. However, I haven’t heard of any cases where a player in a starter system was ganked or bullied there. But when it does happen, there are players who report such instances to CCP.

I’m assuming it’s a bunch of sharks making a pact to never enter the kiddie pool and only wait for the swimmers to leave the pool to go after them. Any shark that violates that pact is dealt with by the community. But again, this is just an assumption. I can’t corroborate this.

When I first joined Eve Online back in 2008, I joined at a time when suicide ganking was beginning to trend. It started to reach its peak at around 2011 when Goonswarm Federation and other alliances formed OTEC (Organization of Technetium Exporting Corporations - a parody of OPEC) and funded the last annual Hulkageddon Event by topping it off with rewards for best ganks in high-sec space. That is when ganking got really common and it especially revealed the flaws in the crimewatch system and how too easy it was for gankers to get away with things. I even participated in the last Hulkageddon to see if I can take out any bot miners I could find.

The Retribution expansion introduced an overhauled crimewatch system and by then ganking was already nerfed to hell and back again. To those of you who think suicide ganking is bad now, it’s not. In fact, it’s just right. Just be glad you weren’t around so many years ago. Suicide ganking is just not common today even with CODE running around ganking people. Today not even CODE can reach ganking levels that were only ever seen in Hulkageddon.