I used to play EVE back in the day, so many of the mechanics are still in play, but I consider myself pretty new to the game as I’ve just come back and there’s so much new stuff going on. I used to PvE and PvP quite a bit, but never really mined. So, while I’m not a complete noob, I am relearning the game. With that said…
So, I’ve taken up highsec ice mining, in part to try something new in EVE and (primarily) to just have something to chill out and watch asteroids crack. I know having details helps a lot in answering questions, so I’ll try to provide that up front. I am mining in an 0.7 system, it spawns 3 belts regularly, I’m in an NPC corp (for now), and I fly an Orca specifically for use in solo mining, I don’t have any alts, and I play actively (only AFK for bio breaks).
Also, I don’t believe in whining in EVE. Nothing in this is meant to imply anything needs a nerf or a buff. The mechanics work fairly all around and this is a question primarily for gameplay in the current EVE system.
And, now that I’ve taken an hour to get to the point (he said before writing even more)…
I have a guy who enjoys bumping me off rocks, just for the lolz, I guess. I have no problem with that. To each his or her own, and he or she is probably having fun. So, I have zero issue with that. And, frankly, if he can make the game more of a hassle for bots, then I’m all for that.
What I’d like to do is make it a bit more difficult for him to bump me.
I’ve tried talking to him (he blocked me, so that is a non-starter), and he’s in an NPC corp also, so mercs can’t war dec him. So, my solution is to orbit the rock I am mining (via drone) at about 5km. That is actually not inefficient, though parking on the rock would, of course, eliminate most of that travel time for the drone, thus increasing my yield per hour.
To make this Orca as fast as possible (yes, I see the many issues with even writing that sentence), given my choices in mining ships, and just to try something new and test it out, I’ve fitted it with an MWD and I’m even trying out an Overdrive Injector II, and orbiting a rock at 5km w/ the MWD active it gets roughly 305 m/s (490 m/s max). At that speed, the bumper has missed me probably 25% of the time (which is kinda funny to watch a guy take a run at me from 100-200 km off, only to fly right by - pretty much the only satisfaction in this scenario), which seems to be the best I can do. He flies a Fleet Issue Stabber, btw.
Is there anything else anyone can recommend for enduring or countering a dedicated bumper? The goal: to make him finally say: “OK, this guy is more hassle than he’s worth, moving on to an easier target.”
I’ve considered and ruled out the following:
- Leaving the system and finding another (as a carebear, I like the three ice belts, and highsec, for now, is fun for me)
- Hiring mercs to gank him (for the reason cited above)
- Negotiating with him (again, as above, a non-starter as he’s blocked me)
- Choosing another activity or profession until he goes away)
- Parking next to a mining fleet to make my Orca at least a bit more of a pain to get to rather than having it sit out there all alone in orbit
- Trying to figure out which other miners might be buddies of his and staying out of the belt they are mining in (from what I can figure out, he’s not buddies with any fleet and he’s not protecting his own - just loves bumping)
- Moving to one of the two other belts to avoid him (he just follows and bumps)
- My last step was to create a Dramiel (understanding there are probably better ships for this, but this was within my SP) to attempt to bump the bumper and at least be annoying (and yellow box him, if only for the ever so slightly increased “I’m here” nuisance factor) and be a bit more proactive - understanding all the while that I was likely only drawing his attention further, and giving him a response he enjoyed - but, as he pretty much has targeted me anyway, I was OK with that.
- Leaving the MWD cycling while orbiting so that, if Im bumped off into deep space, my Orca will return as “fast” as it can to the rocks.
Anyway… I know this was a tediously long post, to say the very least, so apologies for the War and Peace OP, but I know it’s annoying when the OP only has partial info and three replies later you finally get to the info you need to respond…
Cheers and thank you for any advice. Hopefully, ya’ll have some fun with ideas here…
EDITED to fix some poor grammar.