How do I make a heron that will warp fast enough to get out of nullsec before it gets scrambled?

If I had to use a heron I’d make a fit that can get back to gate and survive ~2 shots from an arty thrasher (or svipul). So mwd and a medium shield extender at minimum. That’s in case you jump into a camp. If you are already in system with other people in, rely on your intelligence, d-scan & zkill.

<2s align relic ceptor is cancer and only way to kill a cautious pilot is even bigger cancer- 5000+ scan rez instalock and someone with adhd living in England (20ms ping)+ 1/2 more ships (sentry drone assist, secondary fast lock with 90% web etc.)
Ok, maybe not the only way. A fleet of battleships orbiting the gate with smartbombs on would work too.

t3 cruisers can also be bubble immune and you can fit 4-5 warp stabs on them. And a 100mn ab+ some tank, makes it possible to get back to gate even after messing up and gettign decloaked, scrambled and webbed.
Competent campers will try to bump or have 90% webs / lots of dps, so not safer than relic ceptor (also slower so less isk/h)

Despite what people say here cloak isn’t that important for traveling in null. Most regions will have intel networks and you are decloaked when taking gates, plus your name shows in local so if you ever lost or killed a ship, locals will have some idea what you fly, how you fit ships etc. Bubble immunity isn’t needed either. Yes, it makes life a bit easier and allows faster travel, but it’s not needed.

Question

Why does my align time change between ship fitting / simulation mode?

For example, my align time is 4.45sec, however in simulation mode it jumps to 6.39 seconds. If I put the MWD offline while in simulation mode, the align time drops back down to 4.45sec.

I get that an ideal align time would be less than two seconds, but would dropping from 4.5 to 3.5sec be worth the effort? Is it a case of get under 2sec or don’t bother?

Simulation mode assumes that all of your modules are active. When you run your MWD, your align time is much longer.

Ah ok, so for the quickest jump to warp, the MWD needs to be off! Other than crashing a gate to try and avoid a camp, why else would i need a Microwarpdrive? (PvE scenarios avoiding people as much as possible)

MWDs are great - they let you outrun things and speed to gates and are like a turbo-speed option. They are a bit dangerous in PVP, though, since they make you much easier to lock (and hit).

Yea, i guess when it comes to ship fits, the key word is trade-off!

Just to be clear, to get the into warp ASAP, I should be pre-aligned to target and the MWD needs to be put offline, not just not in use, right? :+1:

No. If you are pre-aligned and moving full speed then you will warp immediately, regardless of what the MWD is doing. The MWD only penalizes your alignment time when the module is actively cycling - if it is online, by off, then you will align in the 4.5 seconds.

In some complicated situations, the MWD might actually make you warp off faster, but these cases usually involve big, slow ships, or webifiers being applied to your ship.

1 Like

The best option you could do is to fit full inertial stabilisers in the lows, and full low-friction nozzle joints in the rigs. I think it is impossible to do better. (Implants?)

Anyway, the more low slots you have, the faster it warps. If you REALLY want to do it right, use mobile depots and T3Cs

1 Like

Don’t get caught in gate camps…

And if you smell a rat, use wormholes to get back to hisec… you should always use worhmoles to get back.

1 Like

I found a data site yesterday, well it was probably a ghost site as after I hacked the first target a bunch of Guristas descended on me.

The first thing I did was try to warp out. My align time in my heron is 2.85 seconds but they still destroyed me. I’m not bothered about losing the ship, but I’m pretty gutting I couldn’t evade them.

In ghost sites, if you fail to hack can, it explode and deal AOE damage. When you tried to warp out, you stopped hacking, resulting in can explosion. If you gonna see at your kill mail, you will see that you where killed by can you hacked. Not rats that warped in.

Maybe it wasn’t a ghost site then. I didn’t fail the hack, I got the loot out of one site and nothing exploded. Then the Guristas arrived. That’s why I thought it was a ghost site.

I’ve never seen NPCs at data sites before.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.