How do you transport more?

I thought of this glad to see it’s used. But what to fly? A freighter seems so slow…can it be given a cloak at least for most of its align time once away from dock?

lol, no

Freighter is defenceless anyway . Best weapon is scouting the way ahead. As undocking jita y should be ok if you warp to a safe spot located in the station exit vector

What people say is that usually gankers won’t agrees if not enough isk to be won.

Personally I choose 3B as the max value I accept to move in my freighters. Most of the time it’s <1B actually.

DSTs go 62 500 m³. They have less tank than the freighter but align faster, and can be fit cloak mwd.
A bustard can go 170k ehp (passif) but then must forego the mwd cloak. with a mwd cloak you can be 128k ehp. If you try to go active, you will get sucked dry before even being able to overload your hardeners and shot with no buffer.

My occator has 80k ehp. I use it with MWD cloak, however remember that cloaking can fail at gates. It also is fit with é inertial stabs, to align faster when I don’t use mwd cloak and be sure to instant warp when I used it.

Use PUSH X

https://www.pushx.net/index.php

You mention 50,000 m3. In a post tagged “mining & extraction”. Obvious starting point is therefore miasmos. Miasmos is a dedicated mineral hauler. It will take 63,000 m3 at level V, both ore and ice, both raw and compressed. You also have 500 m3 of cargo space, which is a lot relative to other mining-related ships.

[EDIT: miasmos is actually a dedicated ore hauler; there is a separate ship for minerals - the kryos.]

I use miasmos to haul glare crust and ninja’ed R64 ore from LS. With glare crust you are talking about 30 M isk a haul. With bountiful xenotime closer to 130 M isk. You can fit for cloaky warp and with three warp core stabs. It is surprisingly safe and effective, especially for gatecamps. Although, it will still go down to a Jita one-shot. So there is that.

In that case, and again sticking with “mining & extraction”, your best bet is an orca. By far. You cannot cloaky warp but you can cycle a MWD to give 12 sec align. Even if I use my mining orca to haul ie with 3 drone mining rigs fitted, but with bulkhead and DCU in lows, that still means north of 200 k EHP.

At level V, orca will haul 260,000 m3. That is spread across the mineral hold (187,000 m3) plus regular cargohold and fleet holds combined. You can also haul an additional 400,000 m3 of assembled ships. If you use a dedicated orca-hauler ie one with defensive rigs fitted, your EHP can be 350+ k EHP. Still with 12 sec align. No freighter can get close to that.

The general “formula” across all haulers is to carry 3 M isk per 1,000 EHP. So, for a tanked orca at 350 k EHP you can haul 1.05 B isk.

However, it is generally considered that for a freighter, which might have significantly less EHP anyway, that if you have 1 B isk on board you will be fine. But if you have 2 B isk on board, you will not. The caveat is that if you are not going through a funnel, a 0.5 system, or to a hub then you might get off with up to 6 M per 1,000 EHP ie 2 B on a more regular basis. But, I wouldn’t make a habit of that.

For the orca (as preferred option) you could look at a Higgs Rig to slow you down and improve your alignment time for take-off. Not sure if anyone actually does that though, in practice? In general, if you come flying out (in both senses) you can just about instawarp your orca because the ship mass is so high relative to exit speed. If you get tethered, you can kiss that idea good bye. So, it’s somewhat dependent on the station.

Bottom line, only time I really use a freighter is to haul raw ice to a point of compression or to haul LS moon ore, or Invasion conduit ore, as neither can be compressed anyway

2 Likes

Miasmos is a nice going, but if you find a ganker willing to gank you just because he likes , no fit will save you, maybe mwd cloak , maybe

Hi,

you actually can use cloak & MWD with an Orca… either preheat your MWD each time (and maybe use a blingy one make sure it doesn’t burn out) or use liberal amounts of i-stabs and Large Engine Thermal Shieldings until it works… the latter will increase the MWD cycle time and might give a gifted ceptor pilot a better chance to uncloak you… but those are rare…

Zoltan

Think it’s just blockade runners that can’t be scanned now.

what about a higgs rig ?

Indeed

aha yes, the single most redundant bonus in the game.
any ganker that can get a lock on a BR is just gonna take the shot rather than wait for a cargo scanner to cycle.

Gues CCP figured it doesn’t matter.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.